Quantcast

Google Announces a New YouTube App Update for Google TV; New Features

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Feb 13, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Google shared an interesting announcement today. They have a new YouTube app for GoogleTV. The new updated version has some slick new features:

It's funny... earlier on the weekend they announced that they would be sharing a "big" announcement on Monday, but although this is pretty cool, it probably didn't deserve the over-hype.

Source: TheVerge

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Oh, yes it does. Have you tried it?

Of all the pre-installed Apps this is one of the few I approve of. But early on it was quite limited. You tube is a definite must have App. But what Google has done with the upgrade for this App is worthy of a little boasting.

I learned a few hours after the fact that Whitney Houston had died. I went to You tube and tried to sift through what was basically too much information. Later today someone posted that an update was available for the You Tube App.

I was amazed at how easy I could glean news and music videos of not only the circumstances surrounding her death, but also her last appearances and her last performance. Hey, I know you want to be Wowed by some super Google TV App that rivals the invention of the internet itself. My advice, slow it down some, and let Google do what it does best. Cater to user demands for an interactive TV experience that is simple and innovative to enhance multiple layers of info from a variety of sources.

So many things are coming down the line that it WILL reshape the internet as we know it.

Carl

3. Wade

Wade New Member

Nothing new at all, I do not know what all the buzz about?

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO I prefer YouTube through the Chrome browser.

There is still no way to adjust playback speed even after the new update - by this I mean the videos will play in HD automatically through the app- witth no way to adjust it to 360P.

Not everyone has a fast enough internet for HD - or some might just prefer to conserve resources. The trend for the future is ISPs will be implementing caps, usage fees, etc. - so I don't think it's a good idea for Google to "force" users of the app to watch in HD. If Google owned the internet "pipes" and could offer cheap fast high speed internet then OK. But they don't.

I emailed YouTube support about this issue. But they refused to listen. I suppose through their way of thinking this is "easier" and offers the best experience.

No Thank You. I'll be using Chrome for YouTube.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

CatfishRivers,
    Have you tried going to youtube with your computer browser and click your user name , then settings , then click playback setup, and change "Always choose the best option for me based on my player size." to "I have a slow connection. Never play higher-quality video." and see if that fixes the problem?

6. CatfishRivers

Yes I did that. It works for YouTube in Chrome - but does nothing for playback in the app.

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

It worked for me in the new app. It still shows hd videos in the searches but instead of being white and playable they are greyed out for me and seem to be a lower quality then hd. I was able to download a file on the computer and play youtube videos at the same time on the google tv with those settings. I have a 5 meg dsl speed but like you the hd video was crapping out when downloading until I made the changes.

8. CatfishRivers

Trallyus I don't have a computer - I just changed the settings to "I have a slow connection. Never play higher-quality video." on my YouTube account with the Chrome browser on GTV. But shouldn't that be the same?

I do have the regular web version of YouTube on my GTV set to play videos through Chrome as the default. I'm thinking if I change that default setting to play the videos through the YouTube player instead - that 'might' do the trick.

However once a default option is selected it's a pain to change it. I'll probably just leave it alone since I'm not a fan of the app anyway.

Besides according to the information Google has provided in their GTV YouTube app instructions - the videos within the app play in HD whenever available. Here's the link:

YouTube on Google TV - YouTube Help

In addition to the problem of not being able to adjust HD videos to SD - I don't see what the big deal about the app is. IMO it's kind of cluncky to navigate compared to Chrome.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If you made the changes and clicked save to save them it should work CatfishRivers.

10. CatfishRivers

I just went to my YouTube settings and double checked - I'm on this setting: "I have a slow connection. Never play higher-quality video." I clicked to save it again. Then went to my YouTube app and the HD videos look regular (not greyed out) - they played in HD. So the fix that you mentioned isn't working for me.

Are you on the Sony GTV products or Logitech Revue? OK I notice in your Sig you have a Sony GTV. Also on your GTV web version of YouTube what playback mode do you have set as your default? By playback mode - I mean initially when viewing YouTube with Chrome on GTV there is an option to select "view videos in Chrome" or "view videos through YouTube player" and this choice can be set as a default.

I'm on the Logitech Revue and I have my playback mode in the web version of YouTube set to "view videos in Chrome" as my default setting.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I dont think I ever set my playback mode as I just use the youtube app when I want to check stuff on youtube. The way I know the settings are working is when I searched in the past for something in youtube with the app, all my video choices were in hd and had the hd key word in white I think and now the hd keyword is no longer in white in the searches and the hd videos are shown less in the search results.

12. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Downloaded this update for You Tube Monday.

Playability sucks! Plays for a few seconds,then freezes.

I play my You Tube videos off of the Chrome browser,Google TV. They play just a very slight bit better using the desktop version instead of as the Google TV app.

13. CatfishRivers

Well thanks for the information. It could be that the situation you are describing only functions with the 3.2 update. The Revue is still on the 3.1 update. So "IF" Logitech ever pushes the 3.2 update through then I'll give it another try.

14. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

You'll notice the difference is you are like me and have subscriptions that you want to go back and watch in order, etc.. for example I'm using Bethesdas creation kit tutorials for reference a bit, before this update it was almost impossible to find the ones I wanted to watch, now it works fantastic.

15. BLA

BLA New Member

I got my YouTube update and it sucks. It doesn't stay where I want it to when I leave and come back, the transport graphic doesn't go away unless I wait for the video to start, press the down arrow for info, press up to hide info, and then wait.
    Also, I can't direct select a video, because it only lists the first four, so I have to start playing them in order, then skip through them AFTER they have started playing. Lame

AND I STILL CAN'T SYNC MY CHROME BOOKMARKS!!!!!!!

Google really has lost the ability to make anything work right. I wish I could afford Apple products.

16. Kelvweb

Kelvweb New Member

I like the way it *looks* now but I need titles of my subscription's uploads in addition to a photo. Too hard to decide if I want to take the time to watch a video going by only a photo. With the update is there a way to make a title appear with the photo?

17. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Played around with YouTube today.

All of a sudden,playability is improving! There are a few videos that have played from the Google TV app and from the browser (on GoogleTV) in their entirety. I swear I didn't do anything!

Still,many videos play for a few seconds from the application,then freeze. Even if I play from the browser,there often is pausing and buffering every minute or so.

But,it's good things are getting better!

The problem has nothing to do with my internet speed. YouTube plays very well on my base unit,a 2007 Mac Mini.

18. CatfishRivers

Bob do you have wireless internet? GTV has had some issues with wi-fi. I have my Revue connected by ethernet directly to my modem - and I haven't experienced any YouTube issues. My download speed is only 1.5mbps.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  19. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Catfish,

Yes,my Google TV is "wireless",feeding off of a router in the family room.

Wasn't aware Google TV had wi-fi issues. Thanks!

20. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

peter, I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time following your posts... and since this morning there's been a lot of 'em... what are you saying here in this post??