Quantcast

Google Admits Google+ Was Just A Ploy To Track Your Behavior Online

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 17, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google Admits Google+ Was Just A Ploy To Track Your Behavior Online (click for full article)

by Natasha Tiku - Feb. 17, 2014

-- As a social network, Google+ is just a bunch of empty circles spinning in a barren wasteland. But Google could give a f*ck if consumers prefer Facebook. What the $400 billion data vacuum really wanted, reports The New York Times, is to track everything you do online and sell that personal information to advertisers.

No shock there. Critics saw this coming as far back as 2011 when Google+ started forcing profiles to use their real names and Google+ suddenly became your sign-in for other Google services. But the company finally confessed their long con to the Times, albeit with a corporate spin:

"Google Plus gives you the opportunity to be yourself, and gives Google that common understanding of who you are," said Bradley Horowitz, vice president of product management for Google Plus.

See more at: http://valleywag.gawker.com/google-admits-google-was-just-a-ploy-to-track-your-beh-1524403565

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/technology/the-plus-in-google-plus-its-mostly-for-google.html?_r=2 (click for full article)

The Plus in Google Plus? It's Mostly for Google

by Claire Cain Miller - Feb. 14, 2014

-- SAN FRANCISCO - Google Plus, the company's social network, is like a ghost town. Want to see your old roommate's baby or post your vacation status? Chances are, you'll use Facebook instead.

But Google isn't worried. Google Plus may not be much of a competitor to Facebook as a social network, but it is central to Google's future - a lens that allows the company to peer more broadly into people's digital life, and to gather an ever-richer trove of the personal information that advertisers covet. Some analysts even say that Google understands more about people's social activity than Facebook does.

The reason is that once you sign up for Plus, it becomes your account for all Google products, from Gmail to YouTube to maps, so Google sees who you are and what you do across its services, even if you never once return to the social network itself.

Before Google released Plus, the company might not have known that you were the same person when you searched, watched videos and used maps. With a single Plus account, the company can build a database of your affinities.

See more at: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/technology/the-plus-in-google-plus-its-mostly-for-google.html?_r=2

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yep, no surprise there. But you can fool Google+ into thinking that a user name is real, rather than using your real name. I stumbled upon this by accident. So, Carl Zone is my username on my Google Plus page. Heck, I can't remember the exact steps I took, but it is possible to fool the site.

So they track Carl Zone by a Google e-mail address and not my actual msn.com address. Not a big thing really, but my PC use is free from Google tracking. Of course the GS-7 is their baby, and you can never escape tracking using any GTV device.

But who really cares...

Carl

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ericd

ericd Active Member

Same here. I use ericd on G+. I suspect it had something to do with not linking my credit card to Google wallet or the Playstore. If I need to make a purchase from Google, I pickup a pre-paid card.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad I did it that way now