Quantcast

Good Simple Audio Out Option

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Petro, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Petro

Petro New Member

Hi There

I have the 40" Sony GTV. I was looking for a simple option.. like a 2 speaker and small sub (CPU setup) for the GTV. I have never hooked up audio using optical cables. always RCA through reciever.. Is there a good option for a smaller set up like described above without using a receiver? are there optical jacks on most CPU speakers?

Thanks in advance

2. dharris9311

dharris9311 Member

The optical outputs are universal so whatever one you get will work fine. Not all receivers have optical out so take a look first. I have used the headphone jack with a RCA "Y" PLUG. Not the best option but an option

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The jacks are universal but the signal isn't. The most compatible encoded digital audio streams are PCM and Dolby Digital. But, in no means is Digital Optical Audio output considered universal.

There aren't that many computer speakers that have Digital Optical Inputs any more. I think the cost to include the digital audio convertors to support them is considered a luxury to most computer speaker manufacturers. That's why you probably won't see them in any 2.1 speaker systems, and probably will only see them in the ultra high-end computer speakers. Depending on how you want to hook up your speaker system you can probably use either this Monoprice Digital Audio to Analog Converter or this GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder.

4. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

you are looking for a soundbar combo with built in decoders , verify that whatever you are considering will support / decode your formats . look at the negative reviews first as they will complain about lack of audio when they attempted to use . most people dont know how to change their settings in the tv or receiver to output a compatible format to the soundbar they bought ,.
    check out fatwallet and slickdeals forums for after xmas deals on soundbar/sub combos .
    i know walmart was discount dumping some phillips with built decoders and usb/hdmi options as well ( before xmas )..

5. Petro

Petro New Member

Is there an option for bookshelf speakers with digital audio in. Im trying to prevent using a receiver if possible and just hook up 2 stereo speakers of decent quality. Would the sound not be amplified enough if I just went the analog RCA route

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sure, but you were specifically inquiring about using the optical output. You can always use the headphone jack for speakers output. There's no other audio output jacks on the Sony televisions with Google TV other than headphones and digital optical output.

7. lkruper

lkruper Member

As Eferz suggested you can use the headphone jack. That was what I had to do because I have powered speakers and have been using an old Tuner-Preamp with only analog input with them for years. I do not know if there is enough power for passive speakers coming out of the headphone jack. I sort of doubt there is.

8. Petro

Petro New Member

So I guess my best option would be a computer speaker set up through the headphone jack? since the subs are amplified??

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep..

10. zen2go

zen2go New Member

This is one of the reasons, IMO, why Sony TVs can't compete with the rest: overpriced products that don't meet customer needs.

11. lkruper

lkruper Member

An option I considered was finding a conversion box for digital optical out to analog out. There are a number of devices available, for example this one from Amazon. I cannot verify this has the correct configuration as there are many such devices that have digital input, analog output and visa versa, even boxes that convert HDMI. For me the simplest was to use the headphone jack. The downside is that this eliminates the internal speakers which could be useful to round out the sound in center.

Radio Shack and Best Buy had some devices as well, but they did not have then in stock so I did not try them.

12. zen2go

zen2go New Member

There's also the option of a sound bar with powered sub that can take HDMI input, I believe...

13. Petro

Petro New Member

So i went to best buy yesterday. I bought the cerwin vega Xd3's which are 2 powered computer speakers.. hooked them up via headphone jack. they sound pretty decent. I was going more for simplicity and not trying to do a surround setup. so i think these will suffice for now.

14. Cunningham1420

Cunningham1420 New Member

What u need is the sony htct150 sound bar an sub, I got the 32" sony google tv w/ the sound bar I listed above and its awesome. I paid $200 for it off amazin and it was worth every penny, 340w overall w/ a multimedia hub in the back of the sub.the back

15. thedude

thedude Member

I agree. I have this and it's slick. Great integration. It has 3 hdmi in and one out. I think only Sony does hdmi switching in soundbar products and it will pass 3D if you have a 3D Bluray and 3D TV.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  16. likwidsolutions

likwidsolutions New Member

It wasn't really overpriced for me, I paid 600 for mine. I am enjoying it so far, and am planning on buying a speaker system with receiver. I have been meaning to do that for a long time.