Quantcast

Going forward with Sony NSX 40GT1 and Google TV / Android TV / Chromecast

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by bobby.hawk, Dec 9, 2013.

1. bobby.hawk

bobby.hawk New Member

So these days I just have to wonder what's the future of my investment in a Google platform TV? I bought into the idea that Google TV would keep evolving and that I'd have a phone, Tablet, PC and TV that would work together.

It appears that Google is leaving Google TV behind and moving on with Android TV. Will my Google TV evolve and become Android TV? It would be nice to know what's going to happen. I hope my TV is compatible Android 4.4.x. I'm hoping that I'll see an upgrade to a newer Google OS soon.

Google seems to be pouring itself in to Chromecast. Will my TV become similar to a Chromecast cast device just bigger? I just read about some newer mirror capabilities that will be available in Chromecast. What about my Google TV... I'd like that too!

Come on Google help me keep up.

Bob

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Bob

As it is only a onetime investment w/out subscription fees, I don't think these first & second gen devices ever had much of a future. GTV always had the feel of a short term experiment that would eventually evolve into the Android OS. Nothing else makes sense. I liked Apple's approach. They considered AppleTV as a hobby.

I like the honesty of that...

Carl

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. Unfortunately Google has already confirmed that all first generation GTV devices will not receive the Jellybean update.

The first generation GTV devices run the Intel chip - and your Sony NSX -40GT1 is considered a first generation GTV device.

If you want the Jellybean update and also want to keep your NSX 40GT1 - you could buy the Hisense Pro (when it is released within the next month or so) - and connect it to your Sony GTV. The Pulse Pro will come preloaded with the Jellybean update and it will probably cost around $99.

Also at CES next month there will probably be some more new GTV devices announced. If you can wait until CES I recommend doing that - hopefully Sony will announce a new GTV then. We'll see. I would trust a Sony GTV box more than the Hisense.

Also please be aware that the GTV Jellybean update removes Flash - so that is something you might want to consider.

I understand that you might not consider this an ideal solution because it involves spending more money - but it is what it is.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. guest

guest Active Member

They're ad-selling devices. That was, and is their future. Which is why it's galling that they're not being updated - and confusing, to boot.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Lol!

I almost started to post that they would have been better off making these devices subscription based. But then I remembered MSNTV 2. Subscription based, horrible service!