Quantcast

Glitch With The New GTV YouTube Update

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 24, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

After I received the new YouTube update on my Revue - I had a new problem. The problem was that clicking on a YouTube link (from my browser history) sent me to view the video from my YouTube app (and not from the YouTube web site with Chrome). Also trying to click a YouTube link that I cut & pasted in my browser - caused my Revue to attempt to go to the YouTube app - however that failed and I got nothing on my screen.

I had previously had my default settings set to view YouTube videos through Chrome.

This same problem is also discussed by other GTV users in the following thread:

Forum @ Web-Nuts.com :: View topic - YouTube Update

I was able to solve the issue by going to my settings and uninstalling the recent YouTube update. Then when I tried to click a link for YouTube videos I got the pop-up to set as my default either the YouTube app or the Chrome browser. I checked the box for Chrome. Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I think perhaps Carl's solution is better (from the thread that I linked to above) - as apparently that doesn't require uninstalling the YouTube update initially. From the thread:

"Posted: Sep Thu 20, 2012 8:59 pm Post subject:

Hi

Yes, I believe it was the update. I had my default setting to the App. You can change it by going to the site and clicking on 'Movies.' Then click on the arrows beside 'New Releases' and click, 'More', and select 'Top Free Movies.' Once you select a movie to play you should see the prompt for either Google Chrome or Youtube.

Now you can set the Default either to the site or the App. But you won't be able to change it back as this update has deactivated the Default button. In order to change it back you'll have to delete the App cache and uninstall updates in home settings.

If you default to Chrome, (Which I did) you will still be able to use the App w/no problem. And you'll also be able to take advantage of the free movies on the site as well as play all videos in Chrome.

Maybe this change has something to do w/viewing rentals and free movies in the App. Anybody check to see what good things this update has? I'll play around w/it tomorrow.

Lemme know...

Carl"
    _________

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  2. CatfishRivers

This is not good. My YouTube app somehow updated on it's own back to the newest update version.

Then whenever selecting a YouTube video from the regular site with Chrome - it automatically transfers to the YouTube app and plays there instead. I also see no more onscreen window popup from Chrome offering the default choice of viewing through Chrome or the app (it seems as though Google removed this with the recent update) -:(

Thus the only way I could stop this from happening was to go to my settings and uninstall the recent YouTube update again.

Is this just a glitch? Or does YouTube have some reason to try and "force" us to view YouTube videos through the app (instead of Chrome)?

I have not been able to find ANY videos that won't play in Chrome - that will miraculously indeed play through the app. Nada. (However I have found some some YouTube videos that will work with Chrome - but not in the YouTube app).

For example all of the videos that now require Flash 11 - I can't get to work in either Chrome or the YouTube app; Here's an example:

Content providers on YouTube are updating to Flash 11 as a means to protect their content - (this is because Flash 11 added DRM (digital rights management) for mobile devices. This is why most of the home "cat" videos don't bother with Flash 11 (as that is not premium content).

And some of these Flash 11 videos/shows tend to have advertisements - YouTube has a beta HTML5 program - but ONLY those videos without ads are available via HTML5 beta - everything else is only available in Flash.

Plus I believe some of the YouTube content has certain licensing restrictions - and are not allowed to be streamed directly to TV.

So bottom line --- What is the point of forcing us to watch YouTube videos through the app? I can't see any advantage to it. For my own personal taste I much prefer the regular web version with Chrome. The app does nothing for me at all. At least let it be my choice..........

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Catfish

The simple solution is to click on "Movies" on Youtube while in Chrome. Scroll down to "Top Free Movies." Once you click on a compatible free movie you should get the "Google Chrome/Youtube" prompt. Choose Chrome.

Just a note on some of the recent changes:

Once you choose a Default, which should be Chrome, ya won't be able to change it back. Not even going into settings and deleting the App Updates will work. Also the Default button has been disabled w/the update. So ya won't be able to 'Clear Defaults.'

Users should always select chrome as the Default. In so doing your usage of the App will not be adversely effected. You can still use the App, but no longer be able to get directed to the App from Chrome. No biggie really.

One good thing: I haven't come across the 'Not for TV' banner. And all incompatible videos (those restricted by copyright or otherwise not playable in the App) will simply be skipped so our playlists are no longer interrupted. All my playlists have played through so far.

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

Carl I wasn't getting the pop-up window to choose for viewing in Chrome or the app anymore (This after I already did that procedure that you mention successfully once).

I had unisntalled the current YouTube update - then I went to movies like you said and did indeed get the pop-up window to select my default setting. I selected Chrome - and all was well for a few days until my YouTube app updated on it's own back to the latest update.

Now I no longer was able to get the pop-up for selecting the default (when clicking to play a free movie as before).

The only way that I could correct the situation was to go back to settings and uninstall the YouTube update again. Now I'm on the old youtube version and it works. I hope that it doesn't update on it's own again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way -- just out of curiosity - have you come across a YouTube video that doesn't work with Chrome, but works in the YouTube app? I haven't found any yet. But maybe Google has something up their sleeve? If you find one I'd really appreciate it if you could post the link. Thanks again.....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  5. Carlszone

Hi

The App will most likely update itself. Because it is a System App it is only a matter of time. My suggestion is to wait for it and try again. But my concern is that you are not on the current upgrade 3.2. All I can suggest is calling Logitech and letting them force feed ya the upgrade. Then maybe youtube will correctly recognize your units youtube default setting. But I'll check again as I haven't used Youtube in a few days.

No. I haven't come across any videos that will play in the App but not in Chrome. Quite the opposite. When I would come across a video labeled not for TV, I'd simply go to chrome and view it there. Worked every time.

I'll post whether Youtube switched defaults on me...

Carl

6. Carlszone

I just checked and the Youtube Chrome Default is holding steady. I got the update around the 17th-18th of Sept. I did a few tests to see if I could reset the Youtube default by clearing the cache, force closing and finally uninstalling recent updates to no avail. I went to Free Movies and as I suspected I got the prompt. So the update reinstalled itself but my Default has held to date.

Carl

7. CatfishRivers

Carl one other thing that I had noticed was that after I had selected Chrome as my default - then yes I could go to YouTube with Chrome and watch videos in Chrome. However if I went to settings and then "history" - and clicked on the YouTube video link from "history" - it took me to my YouTube app to view the video. (So in other words setting the default to Chrome only worked on the YouTube site - and not from the links in browsing history).

I have a hunch that this whole thing is related to the upcoming update to enable GTV users to buy/rent movies from Google Play. On YouTube now most of these movies require Flash 11 (which GTV doesn't support).

I suspect that after the Google Play TV Movies update - that clicking a link for a movie will automatically go to the YouTube app - and play the movie in a format other than Flash 11. That's my theory anyway..... -;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  8. Carlszone

As good a theory as any.

Carl

9. Carlszone

Oh wow!!!

I missed that first post! Thanks for posting it, Catfish. Duh, guess my first post was a bit redundant.

Too funny!!!

Carl