Quantcast

Glass half full!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by overtimeman, Jan 19, 2014.

1. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

If we look long enough we can find something negative to complain about.Knowing Sony they were the first to send out upgrades with the first generation of GTV and when the second generations of GTV are finally updated I believe the platform will get some recognition it deserves! Will the 2'nd generation of units ever be upgraded past the JB 4.2?I certainly hope so and with our Chrome getting upgraded from Chrome 11 to an up to date version with updates to it ever six weeks then the platform will get the footing is sorely needs.I'm not a big app user but was looking at all the selection available on my Tablet running JB 4.2.2.Maybe 2014 will be the break out year and BTW the Roku will be getting a WWE app for $9.99 a month and that includes all the PPV and the old shows that are archived.The one thing Roku will never have is a kick butt browser "when" we get our upgrade!

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV is on life support. I appreciate that people want to have a positive attitude - but I personally find it difficult to find much optimism when Google has abandoned all forms of promotion for Google TV.

Here is an interesting fact and a 'sign-of-the-times' of the sad state GTV is in:

In 2011 the official GTV blog was updated 46 times. In 2012 it was updated 51 times. in 2013 the official GTV blog was only update TWICE - and it hasn't been updated in over 7 months:

The Official Google TV Blog

The Google TV Facebook page has apparently been abandoned by Google - as there hasn't been a post there from the GTV staff in over a full year:

https://www.facebook.com/googletv

The Google TV YouTube channel hasn't had a new video posted in over a year:

The Official Google TV Channel - YouTube

The Google TV Google+ Community has been abandoned by all employees of GTV. It's now just a community of enthusiasts with no information or updates at all provided by Google. In fact the moderator of that community (Thomas Ally) is very upset with Google's total abandonment of all social media - and he has stated his disappointment in numerous posts. Here are a few (look at the comments to read Thomas Ally's disappointment with Google):

https://plus.google.com/105279391930962034209/posts/FTfuKv1Gc3s

https://plus.google.com/111206135477827312525/posts/QxGk5CWHpA2

https://plus.google.com/103341280285261250177/posts/6QGwLjsagBF

Is this any way to run a business? I don't get it. But when a company half-arses support for a product you get results that we are now seeing with GTV: Hardly anyone buys it, hardly anyone develops apps for it, manufacturers are dropping out like flies...... The leadership (management of GTV is to blame) - GTV is being mis-managed. It all starts at the top - and GTV needs bring in a new 'leader'. Roku does well primarily because it is a well-run company. The CEO of Roku (Anthony Wood) is extremely sharp - I guarantee if he was the one in charge of GTV - that GTV wouldn't be in the mess that it is today.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Mike

I don't think folks are really looking for something negative to complain about. A positive perspective as concerns things you might want to accomplish makes sense. A positive outlook on things you cannot do on an internet access device is pointless. But not only that, the fact that we don't know Google's intentions for this platform makes it a risky purchase as a settop addition and even riskier as far as HDTVs are concerned.

The reality is...we just don't know! Settop box users like myself can live w/that. But in order for Google TV to get the recognition it deserves there has to be some official information about this platform. But the users of these devices & TVs have even less reliable support than experienced on WebTV/MSNTV 2. Limitations are to be expected on any small client system. But no clear idea of GTV's future...well, ya can't spin this. Not only is the glass not half-full or even empty, there is no glass to begin with. In order for a glass to be full/half full there must be something of substance to make a comparison.

Sorry, but I think Google TV is getting the recognition it deserves.

None...

Carl

• Like Like x 4
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

To me this situation is very funny. I don't like smartphones therefore I don't own one and have spent absolutely no time at various smart phone forums whining about how worthless I think smart phones are. For some reason people that don't want what Google TV does or can't figure how to use it think it is of benefit to others to complain about Google TV non stop.

I have looked at all smart TV platforms available in little boxes, either directly by owning or using those boxes or reading in depth of the capabilities. One platform, Google TV, meets my needs so I use it and can explain why it works for my needs.

Some blogger going by the name of cooltech1 attended CES and stopped at many of the booths with cool new products or prototypes of cool new products, his 5 favorite are described here:

I still hold out hope that Google TV, whether the name is changed and called Smart TV With Google Services or Android TV or remains Google TV will catch on. Whether or not it catches on doesn't change my opinion it is the best smart TV platform available to date.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  5. CatfishRivers

ChrisG8 do you think it's a good way to run a business to abandon updating all of the social media platforms? I think it stinks personally......
    Oh let me guess - I'm a 'needless whiner' -;)

And if you think Google's abandoning of social media (for GTV) is good or if it's irrelevent - please explain why you feel so?????

GTV is a flop - so obviously it ain't helping any.... -:(

I feel it's a vey important issue to bring up - and I don't find it 'funny' at all......

What I find funny is the few Google apologists that have blinders on towards Google's incompetent handling of the GTV platform. Now that's funny.....

6. ChrisG8

Ha, you are among the many that can't make Google TV meet their needs, so what? I don't look to social media for news about or how to use Google TV so someone has to tell me about Google not promoting Google TV by social media.

I can make Google TV do the many things I want from a smart TV platform. Is that difficult to understand? That isn't wearing blinders and the fact I can't make Google TV screw up operationally isn't something I regret and should aspire to achieve in my opinion. I use Google TV almost daily, I understand how to use it and you think I am the one with a problem? I look at things differently than those that offer non stop whining and it should be obvious by now, I don't really care about learning how to be disappointed with the product, you guys have that covered without my help.

What other smart TV platforms have you used to offer your negative view of this one? I suspect none but I have used just about everything available to offer my positive opinion of this one.

7. CatfishRivers

Blah, blah, blah. It figures that you avoided my question. I'll ask one more time:

**ChrisG8 do you think it's a good way to run a business to abandon updating all of the social media platforms? And if you think Google's abandoning of social media (for GTV) is good or if it's irrelevent - please explain why you feel so?????**

Please don't babble on about how GTV meets your needs. I could give a rat's as* -;) Just answer the question man....

8. guest

guest Active Member

Took a look at the video and see that the Hisense Pulse Pro was the top pick. Do you think the Logitech Revue keyboard would work with the Pulse Pro? Or is the future one in which we speak aloud the words that we want to place into an e-mail or to search?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. CatfishRivers

I think the following post (see below) from Thomas Ally over in the Google TV Google + Community was excellent. A bit of background information - Thomas Alley is the moderator and more or less the man in charge of the GTV Google + Community. He has been with Google TV since day one - and is one of GTV's biggest fans. He owns several different GTV devices. However lately he's become very upset with Google's mismanagement of the GTV platform. Especially Google's complete abandoning of all social media related to GTV:

** Thomas Ally - Dec 15, 2013+34

I still love my generation 1 Google television but then again I am not a cord cutter. I do wish it had jellybean and was still supported, but so far I have not had half the problems others have had that are judging Google TV by the cheaper buddy boxes.

That said I would probably not buy another Google TV or the so called newer Nexus TV supposedly coming out in 2014 of any model until I see Google and the makers of Google TVs and Nexus TVs change the way it treats it's customers when the newer models are made.

I would have to see them do a 180 from the way they treated us early adopters as well as the current Google TV owners in the way they treat owners rather then them keeping quiet and not answering any questions posed to them using social media like they did with us before I even think of suggesting it to others or getting a new model.

I have been a long time user almost from day one but would not suggest it to folks until they get better customer service, fix bugs, listen to people when they report bugs, push out timely firmware updates as the only time they pushed out fast updates is when someone found a way to root the device, and actually put someone in charge of PR for the device that will post news and updates on the social media pages and maybe answer peoples questions that post to them.

Or have one single site dedicated to the device that users of the device can go to where the Google team can maybe respond to users questions as well as get feedback from the users as well as bug reports that would be a site dedicated to the project in case they did not want to maintain all the social outlets they have now. Any questions others can't answer maybe then the Google team could chime in and answer instead.

By the way, even though they tend not to post here, they may be reading the forums here as I see the play store is now fixed as at one point some of the text that was supposed to be readable was white text on a white background and was mentioned here and now the text is Black text on white background so hopefully they read this and take my suggestions up for consideration. As if they do the same thing with the Nexus TV they did with the Google TV brand they will probably make the 3rd generation as mad as the 1st and 2nd are :p **

https://plus.google.com/103341280285261250177/posts/6QGwLjsagBF

10. ChrisG8

I can't know what keyboards will work well with the Hisense Pro yet, about all I can say is maybe the Logitech K700 will work well and I hope it will because that is my preferred controller for Google TV.

11. CatfishRivers

I noticed in the video that the guy said the Pulse Pro will sell for around $150. I don't think that's official - but I suppose it could sell well at that price point if it's better than current devices. I tend to think the sweet spot for these set-top boxes with consumers is around $99 though. IMO the big question will be if the new box gets a lot more 'optimized' GTV apps. The interface might be 'smoother' or whatever - but content is king. So far I haven't really noticed any new (optimized) content for the LG GTV televisions on Jellybean. Sideloading of apps (with the NDK support on Jellybean) is nice for the small group of tech enthusiasts - but it won't save GTV.

12. ChrisG8

Do you make up your mind about products based on what others say or is first hand experience more important? I can't imagine caring less about what others have to say about Google TV since I have used it almost daily for 2.5 years, I am here to answer questions about how to do various things with Google TV and there is no amount of assistance to help me be unable to use Google TV or dislike Google TV that will stick. I have not been mistreated by Google, Google hasn't let me down, Google doesn't owe me anything and I don't need anybody to tell me I should be upset and should be whining about Google TV.

This is beyond silly, all of the unhappiness about a little box you should either use if you like it or not use if you don't like it.

13. CatfishRivers

I make up my own mind. I am not saying GTV is a terrible device - but I don't consider it great either. The point I'm trying to make is that the 'leadership' of the GTV platform has mismanaged various aspects of it - including marketing. I posted Thomas Ally's post to lend credence to that suggestion. I'm glad for you that you love your GTV. Let's just leave it that.

14. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

so its a device at End OF life? what to you expect? its underpowered, has very little available ram to do android housekeeping and task that are required above Honeycomb.. and was not adopted by the public in a large enough number for google to put and more money into on going development... plenty of cell phones have reached the same fate.. if GTV or its partners decided to open the bootloader so it could be hacked then... that would be something ... but that did not happen... and lacking any big dev push... it will die... money will not be allocated for software updates.. and it will stagnate... thats just the way it is... it may still be usefull to a point but... it will not be exciting.. but then again... it is a hundred bucks and surfs the web pretty well.. runs plex great... runs YOUTUBE app fantastic.. providing you have the pipe.. and dose a few other cool things. so for a device being at EOL... its pretty cool.. and pair the thing with a smart phone and you have some pretty nice second screen kinda stuff... im not sure why folks are so upset... its always buyer beware when you invest in technology.... if you cant afford the gamble that your device will not see a refresh or sw update... then dont invest... nothing in technology is written in stone its just way to fluid a space to expect such a guarantee..

still a pretty cool streaming box... just dont expect any forward dev...

15. Carlszone

I haven't yet found a device the K700 KB will not work with. Yeah, w/the differences in IR & RF there will be some limitations, but as long as there is a USB port, I would be confident that the KB should work. I'm still finding KB Functions that I can apply using my KB w/my computer. The FN & Alt keys are the keys to most device & PC shortcuts in lieu of dedicated keys found on the orig keyboard/remote.

As far as the rest of the guff about folks not being able to make GTV work for them & the same whining spiel from someone so dedicated they ran out & bought a house full o'units? Well...

Whadaya expect...

Lol!

Carl

16. ChrisG8

As I have stated many times, only 1GB RAM seems to be the big shortcoming for me, I am often required to clear cluttered RAM to keep it running right and I do that easily enough but I would rather not. I noticed 2GB RAM is supported with the Marvell Armada 1500 Plus but I am not sure about the original Marvell Armada 1500.

As far as being underpowered, I think the CPU is up to the task, capable of 2 simultaneous 1080p streams. Video quality is first rate for streaming boxes in my opinion so adding cost with a more powerful processor wouldn't be a good move. Who knows what will be possible in the future at such a low price point so an improved CPU could make sense at some point. The apps not central to use of Google TV, not available in the Play Store or Amazon App Store for Google TV, might require a better processor, I don't know since I don't have any side loaded apps running. I have Marvell chips in several devices in house, Blu-ray players, Google TV, and Chromecast so I am a big fan of the video processing ability and the fact Oppo, a great Blu-ray player manufacturer has chosen Marvell gives me additional piece of mind. The company makes great video processing chips, I use Google TV primarily to handle video playback.

If a Google TV manufacturer would put 2GB RAM in the box and let us decide if it is worth the added price, I would sure buy it. Here is some information on the Armada 1500 and 1500 Plus:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?embe...p2JHEy7TEnt8Lx4dBmq0RwDg9S5RPnGkTjR7n0xG2wjkY

https://docs.google.com/viewer?embe...qrMn-LPFCo-TfHec9s04OcZEN1N7-zw0ryHqvFiLNfpng

• Like Like x 2
  17. Carlszone

Same here...

Chris, you're not so far gone as not to know the difference between someone whining & folks concerned that GTV is not misrepresented to folks asking our advice. I just can't get my head around why you can't see the difference. In all other respects your posts are informative, honest & reliable. You have helped tons of folks and have proved to be knowledgeable on all aspects of Google TV & Chromecast on a par w/the long lost Efert.

Just wanna give ya a shout out of thanks for all yer help & insight. Tho' I disagree w/some of yer comments I will never doubt yer sincerity & genuine desire to help folks.

That said...;)

Take Care

Carl