Quantcast

giving Google TV some love

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by 1fatfrog, Feb 27, 2012.

1. 1fatfrog

1fatfrog New Member

I bought my GoogleTV about a month ago and I'm a huge fan. I really like the integration with OTA and traditional TV providers like Cable/FiOS, home media servers, and DVR/TiVo. I wrote a review and put it on my tech blog.
    I'm a newbie so I cant post links, but if you care to read it, jut google "fat frog tech blog" and it should show right up.

Unfortunately, GoogleTV is lacking in the Apps and content area. The platform is excellent, the UI is easy to navigate and the full qwerty keyboard is an excellent decision, but someone needs to help get developers to create more content for the Android/GoogleTV platform,

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the full qwerty keyboard with the Revue - unfortunately there were so many reviews by so-called tech 'experts' (that kept bashing the Revue keyboard). All I ever heard in the reviews was: "Who wants to use a full keyboard in the living room?".

I think these reviewers are basically wanting to use GTV in a way similar to a Roku. GTV IS NOT A ROKU! What they tend to forget is that GTV has a full web browser and people write emails, type searches, chat on Gmail, fill out forms, etc.

At any rate it seems to be a moot point now. Google bought into all the negative reviews that claimed the controllers were "clunky".

The current GTV products are all discontinued and very hard to find any new ones anywhere to buy now. So most new users will have to wait until the next generation of hardware comes out later this year - which according to demonstrations at CES they all have small hand-held controllers with a qwerty keyboard on one side. (This is similar in design to the Boxee Box controller).

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. 1fatfrog

1fatfrog New Member

Thanks for linking to it for me and the kind words.

CatfishRivers

Sony's second gen remote seems to address the issue with the thumb pad with a full sized touchpad on the back. The form factor doesn't seem as comfortable as the original, but it looks slick. IMHO, a full keyboard is a must for anything with a full web browser. Clearly your logic is superior, as is mine.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I've never used the Sony GTV products - so my only experience has been with the Revue keyboard. Which I think is great.

Yes the new Sony GTV products will have a touchpad and keyboard - but it's a "compact" keyboard on a smallish "hand-held controller".

I'm used to typing on the full-sized Revue keyboard. I suppose some will prefer the new controllers because they are "smaller" - especially if they hardly do any typing with GTV.

However IMO just because a keyboard/controller is smaller in size - doesn't make it easier/better to use. In fact if one does quite a bit of typing (again it depends on how you use GTV) - I actually think it is MORE cumbersome trying to type on the 'tiny' keys.

6. 1fatfrog

1fatfrog New Member

The Sony GTV remote that came with my TV is really comfortable. It sits in your hand similar to a Playstation controller and using your thumbs to type, like txt/email on a BlackBerry is pretty easy to adapt to.
    The fully sized keyboard is a nice feature as most people who type are already comfortable with using it. The new Sony GTV remote sort of reminds me of a parabolic version of the Nokia bricks from the early 2000's. I also think that one may be a little too small, but like I said, it looks slick.

7. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I'm really hoping that the different peripherals will remain on sale so that us users will have the option of our personal faves.

8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I also get tired of the so called tech 'experts' as well :) Their number one complaint is usually that there is no hulu for google tv and yet I have had hulu on my google tv via playon for ages. I think why the tech 'experts' are so crabby is they wanted a device to cut the cord with or thought that the google tv could be used like a computer which on both accounts that is not right.