Quantcast

Give me my old Google TV back!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by dothackmatt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. dothackmatt

dothackmatt New Member

I, for one, never thought that Google TV was broken. I bought my NSZ-GT1 knowing exactly what I was getting and even ended up being pleasantly surprised with what I actually got. When I made the decision to buy it, I was looking for a solid DVD/BluRay player that could take some pressure off of my PS3, which I had been using to play all of my discs, stream Netflix, stream media from my computer and stream Hulu (amongst other things) using Play On. After doing a little research and being a big fan of the Android phones that I own, I decided that adding this little piece of Google connectivity to my mix and having a lite web experience for my TV could only be a good thing. I knew it wouldn't mean the kind of of ease that you get when you're flipping through channels with your cable or satellite box and how could it be? At this point in time, web based TV has to draw from so many sources that it seems impossible to stream line it all together. My point is that I'm a geek and I've been downloading and streaming things and connecting things for so many years that to have an experience that is actually relatively cohesive was amazing to say the least. I guess I got my box sometime in July and of course the rumors were already swirling about the 2.0 update that was obviously just around the corner.

Fast forward to Monday night. After these months of anticipation and dealing with a couple minor gripes (such as not having a complete Chrome experience with everything properly synced with my Google account), here it was: GTV 2.0!!! In my opinion, Google already got it right so having Honeycomb now was bound to just be the icing on the cake and having the Market now should just blow the possibilities wide open, right? Well, maybe... The jury is still sorely out on what great things more apps might bring but it IS NOT out on the fact the if it's not broken, don't fix it and if it's not broken, well... DON'T BREAK IT!!! After getting acquainted with the new UI and checking every menu and every option that I could find, I decided that sure, it looks nice and while it really was kind of underwhelming, I guess it's fine. But then I started noticing little things. First of all, it's terribly vacant. The thumbnail view that used to seem a little intrusive to me in 1.0 is now something I really miss! The horizontal shortcut menu on the bottom of the screen does look nice, but it's very limited and that WHOLE big screen space is now just empty, unless you want to add one of the crappy widgets that seem to have an odd track on which they can be placed. Having to go into the app drawer seems clumsy now and I'm finding myself having to go into it more than I used to. Having the recently viewed tab on 1.0 is where I left it almost all the time and is where it would comfortably boot into. All the things that I used on a regular basis were right there grouped together for me and I didn't have to stray very far unless there was something out of the ordinary that I needed to use.

And what is with this Youtube app? You sign into it which I guess allows you to like videos and comment but it doesn't even offer any option to view your subscriptions or any other in depth features linked to your account! Now, if I want to use Youtube Leanback I have to open the browser first or go to the Spotlight, which even after adding it to my shortcuts still isn't very convenient... Wasn't Leanback MADE for Google TV? So why would the default app for the relaunch of Google TV be substandard to the Youtube format that was developed especially for the platform...? Even my Youtube widget on my Android phone scrolls though my subscriptions and offers a way better experience. After using Chrome a bit, I can say that it feels more like the desktop counterpart but that it's less TV friendly that the 1.0 version. Before, I could just hit the menu button once and X out of the tab to close it. Now, I have to open the menu, go into windows, scroll down to the tab I want to close and then go over to the X to close it. That just seems like too many steps when it used to only take one. Also, websites have been loading much slower for me and I've had more crashes than I ever had before in some 4 months of using my device daily. The biggest problem that I cannot over state is that there is flash video on sites that I used to watch daily that now WILL NOT PLAY. I can even say that having the ability to watch one of the shows in particular on my TV with ease was one of the tipping points that convinced me to go with Google TV in the first place. The web video experience is not supposed to be getting worse here...

So now one of my primary and daily uses has now been cut out for me. So what can I do, wait and hope an update fixes it? Find some way, as others have suggested to downgrade back to 1.0? I mean really, this is a major problem for me! Aside from this, I just honestly don't really like the overall layout and feel of things now. It feels cheaper in a way and seems like a watered down Android port and that is interesting because one thing that was always curious to me is how I thought if 1.0 felt more like traditional Android, I thought I could make things work better. Boy was I wrong, at least when it comes to this implementation. Sure, it's nice to see some of the more "Androidey" options in the menus and feel like it's a little more open now by having ftp access and a few more options with the Media Player but these minor upgrades just aren't worth the price of admission to me. I was thoroughly happy and satisfied with the way things were before and now I simply am not. I can only hope that others will weigh in and that there can be some option for users that would like to revert back to the previous version, or at the least get things like the flash video problems sorted out. I'm sorry for this long and boring rant but I am very frustrated and I feel like something was taken away from me. I just want to get it back.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. drhill

drhill Member

I hate to do this, but please add paragraphs. I'm getting a headache trying to read your post.

3. roby94566

roby94566 New Member

Geez, it,s not complicated...

4. Klein711

Klein711 New Member

The great wall of text!

It helps keep out the Mongolian spammers....

5. XYinSD

XYinSD New Member

I did read through all that but WOW...c'mon man. All I can say is that I'm sure there will be updates in the future to tweak some minor things but overall, my TV seems faster and I am happy that the interface is already somewhat familiar to me because of my phone.

6. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

My only complaint is the TV & Movies app shows no hits for Broadcast TV. Other than that and a bit of sluggishness i am glad an appreciative of the upgrade..

7. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Can't read this post with my GTV 1.0 there is too many caracters and the browser crash. :p

8. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Can't read it on my PC either...hurts my eyes and brain.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Let me translate it for you.

10. dothackmatt

dothackmatt New Member

"It helps keep out the Mongolian spammers.... " lol. Once again, sorry for that long post, I guess it's a bit hard to digest all at once. I always did have a problem with run on sentences... But even as I try to get used to the update, I still can't get over the Youtube app. Isn't it strange that you sign in but it doesn't really sync with your account and isn't Youtube Leanback? Am I the only one that thinks aside from everything else, that one detail is pretty silly?

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Honestly, it wasn't your sentence structures that were problematic. The issue is that it was written as one gigantic, foreboding cluster. It would have been more digestible had you divided your dissertation into smaller clusters separated by line feeds. This would have helped us rest our eyes between narratives and ease our minds while ingesting your thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
  12. alf

alf New Member

My TV will not play netflix without annoying pauses since the upgrade. If it had worked this bad when I bought it, I would have taken it back. Very disappointed. I wish I could roll back the "downgrade".

13. Billy

Billy New Member

They ruined netflix now it's such a pain to find anything, before it was absolutely perfect i don't understand why they would spend there time working on a update that makes it worse and i completely sympathize with the original post if your going to release a update to make things better actually make it work better and more efficiently don't just make it look pretty i could care less what it looks like.

14. sergio

sergio New Member

I agree, there was nothing wrong with the old version. I like the ability to add certain apps, and think eventually it will be worth it, but I mainly use Netflix, and the new interface is not very user friendly.

15. MisterE

MisterE New Member

Let me see for myself. UPDATE MY REVUE !!!!

16. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

I feel for you guys.. but my update is running like a champ! Aside from no shortcuts.. im loving it! :D

17. kavaja

kavaja New Member

i agree with this autherof this thread. I want to go back to the old version untill the fix what the messed up. I don't like using GTV that much any more.

I don't have cable so all I get is air waves. so streaming is how I watch most of my tv. neflix is now a user friendly, they limit what you see or can do with. I talk to netflix and sony (since there is number google, I couldent talk to them) and the told me that if I want to look for movies (without searching) is to on my pc and add them to my que. that defeats the purpose of using GTV, I might as well sell my GTV and get pc for my tv then.
    Also I use to watch EPIX, but now can't seem the movies.

This is just some of the issues I am dealing with, the are many more. SO CAN WE HAVE THE OLD VERSION BACK PLEASE.

18. FordLawnmower

FordLawnmower New Member

I agree dothackmat . I loved the way my google tv worked before the update to 2.0.
    3000 movies from my dlna server would spin like a wheel in the media player from top to bottom in a fraction of a second. Now it is slower than a snail and takes several minutes to get to the bottom of the movie list.

I addition, I've found that all the movies are now out of sinc with the audio tracks. My google tv box is now just a useless brick on top of my cable box :(