Quantcast

Getting the NSX-40GT1 guide and remote to work with comcast mini digital box

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by nuts4ford, Jun 21, 2011.

1. nuts4ford

nuts4ford New Member

So Comcast just upgraded their cable service here to full digital so we were given the mini digital box so we can actually get the channels again. From this point I was wondering if the guide that came with the Google TV will work with the service and populate the channels. The little box uses RF, no HDMI or Component. Also is there some special trick to get the Sony remote to work with another device like this little box? I cant seem to get it to work or should I be able to control the box through the TV itself?

in summary:
    -I want to use the guide
    -I want to use my Sony remote and not Comcasts

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I can say that Comcast has been in no hurry to make their service Google TV friendly. Their Xfinity TV on demand service is still basically just about useless with Google TV - and I'm sure if Comcast had wanted to they could of made Xfinity TV on demand Google TV friendly by now. Keep in mind that Comcast now owns NBC and NBC owns part of Hulu. Birds of a feather flock together..........

3. nuts4ford

nuts4ford New Member

fortunetly I don't have to worry about that issue since the mini box doesn't seem to do that xfinity TV stuff.

4. CatfishRivers

Well depending on your level of service your Comcast box should be able to access some on-demand programs (unless you only subscribe to the lower tier such as 'limited basic' - but the big thing is that as a Comcast TV subscriber you should be able to also use your computer or internet device to watch catch-up TV shows from their Xfinity online service. But unfortunately Google TV is just not very compatible with it.

5. CatfishRivers

I came across a few interesting threads about the new Comcast digital converter box (and the Comcast migration to digital). Where I live they haven't made the transition yet. One good thing is that I was told by the Comcast rep that internet speeds will be improved with the digital transition. Do you notice an increase in speed with your Comcast internet service? It seems you were correct the very basic digital converter box does not have on-demand capability. Maybe the more expensive digital box (that Comcast charges a fee for) would have an HDMI port? Comcast's march to 100% digital will raise rates and alienate millions

6. CatfishRivers

7. CatfishRivers

OK I understand a bit better now. For Limited basic if you don't have a QAM tuner you need the digital adapter. But Limited Basic service does not include a set-top box (only the digital adapter).For Expanded Basic service you get the digital adaptor AND the Comcast set-top box. So it would seem that in order to make Comcast work with the Google TV menu you will need to subscribe to at least the Expanded Basic tier (so you will get a set-top box): https://digitalnow.comcast.com/About_Digital_Update.aspx

8. nuts4ford

nuts4ford New Member

yeah the issue with that though is the Google TV isnt the main tv. The main TV is downstairs hooked up to the HD/DVR box. Well at least I know it can POSSIBLY work with the HD/DVR box :\

After reading that as well though, it's pretty obvious Comcast is trying to squeeze out as much money from it's customers it can by forcing blocks on service. Unfortunetly I have no other choice for land line here as we don't have full Fios support so Comcast is THE only game in town. If there is a TV standard for Digital signal why is it ok for Comcast to circumvent that. I guess the FCC can't do anything about that.