Quantcast

Getting the Logitech K700 Keyboard to work with the NSZ-GS7 and TiVo

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by ChrisG8, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I was able to get everything working the way I want except 30 second skip doesn't work. With the Logitech Revue and Sony NSZ-GT1, FN>> skips forward 30 seconds but I have been unable to get that working with the new Sony. FN<< skips back 7 seconds on all three models. I also didn't see how to do 30 second skip with the NSG-MR5U remote which comes with the NSZ-GS7 but I am not planning on using that remote so I didn't make much of an effort.

I also don't find any way to turn off the NSZ-GS7 with the K700 and unlike the NSZ-GT1, I didn't see a power on/off button on the unit itself. I will just keep it running all of the time. Until there is a full sized Bluetooth keyboard designed specifically for Google TV, I still think the K700 is the best full sized keyboard to use with Google TV. I will say the remote for the NSZ-GS7 is a little better than the remote for the NSZ-GT1 but until I can deal with tiny qwerty keyboards, I am not using either.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yes, the only reason I'm still looking for a workable device is for a remote that I can't eventually live with. The Neo remote was perfect, unfortunately the software isn't. I never really hear many complaints about the Vizio remote. I ordered it before I realized the GS7 was getting the upgrade soon. But I did like the dedicated buttons on the remotes of the new devices. This is my last stab at the new devices. One of them has to workout for the simple things I use them for.

We'll see...

Thanks

Carl

3. ChrisG8

All three models I use work well enough for me that I am really happy and the fact I use the same controller for each makes operation simple and almost exactly the same for each. The Sony NSZ-GS7 controller might have been something I could get used to but I am old and set in my ways and I didn't want to do that. I think Sony could fix the NSZ-GS7 to handle TiVo 30 second forward or maybe there is something I have missed and it is capable already, I just don't know how to set it up. If not, I will just get used to FF to a point, at least if I overshoot, the fact the skip back 7 seconds works, that will be a tolerable method. With 30 second skip forward, I just hit the key 4 times to skip 2 minutes of commercials, that is how I have been doing that for about 12 years or so.

I am just not seeing any speed bump with the new model, the NSZ-GT1 and NSZ-GS7 seem the same with the things I do. The new update will finally differentiate the models in terms of useful apps but I don't think there is anything new that I want that I haven't already got covered by something else at each display.

4. Carlszone

Yeah, that was something that really surprised me. None of the newer models I tried w/the new Arm chips did anything faster than the Revue. One area that was improved on the Neo was the speed of the Quick Guide loading. But then the dang unit can't remember yer line-up. Two steps forward one step back.

5. ChrisG8

Of course I would like to see more powerful processors used but considering the price these devices sell for, what has been accomplished is really good. I doubted the new box would be a big jump in performance. More and better apps and more content is key, the hardware is good enough to do what I want.

6. Carlszone

Yes, but who is supplying the software?

Look, Logitech had a dedicated support system long after they pulled support from the device. But these new GTV manufactures only provide service for, at most, 60 days after purchase. Then ya have to use their premium service which can run anywheres from 30 to 40 dollars a month. And no extended warranties can change this. Am I crazy or reading something wrong here?

Carl