Quantcast

Getting Netflix 4.0 Somehow

Discussion in 'Sony NSZ-GT1' started by Sutcliffe, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe New Member

So Thursday Netflix worked fine. Friday, nothing. I called Netflix. They told me they no longer support Netflix 3.0 (what I have), and I need to upgrade. I asked how do that and they said call Sony. I called Sony. They politely told me to eat a dick and I'm not getting anything new, ie a classic run around. Neither support is willing to help. Google Support points me to Sony. Any ideas?

I've never rooted a device. If that is what it takes, that's what it takes. Since Netflix and Amazon Prime are the main things I used it for, I'll gladly do it.

2. guest

guest Active Member

Using Netflix on your Android tablet

"Netflix is available on Android tablets running Android 2.2 or above. The current version of the Netflix app requires Android version 4.0 or later. Devices running earlier versions of Android OS (as well as the Samsung Galaxy 10.1" Tablet) will be prompted to download a compatible, earlier version of the Netflix app. To download Netflix on your Samsung Galaxy 10.1" Tablet, follow the instructions here."

As I understand it, your Sony Google TV is at Android version 3.2. Your post seems to be implying that Netflix no longer works with Android version 3.2. I don't think that is the case. If you were running Android 4.0 on your GTV, maybe you'd have more bells and whistles while viewing Netflix, but for Netflix to block usage of their service for everyone using a version LESS THAN 4.0? I don't think so.

Question: Is it Netflix 4.0 or Netflix on Android version 4.0?

3. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe New Member

I apologize, I am very frustrated as I have spent a lot of time on this to no avail. Let me back up.

Netflix no longer works. It worked just fine Thursday and literally the next day it did not. The loading screen appears and times out. No error code, other than a support website and "cannot connect", is given.

Netflix works on other devices, I have verified my internet connection, I have checked to for any app/system updates, restarted the device, cleared the cache, and none of this has helped. Netflix still times out.

When I contacted Netflix they told me it was because of my low version (3.0.4 I think it was) and that they no longer support that version. Is that accurate? I do not know. However that is what Netflix support told me. I was told I needed to run Netflix 4.0.1 or later and I should call Sony.

Sony told me current version of Android 3.2 was all they can giving and Netflix is bundled into that. They declined to help me further.

My only goal is get Netflix working again pure and simple as that is about 95% of what I do with the device. Netflix is not offering any help. Sony is not offering any help. Google redirects me to Sony. I didn't know where else to go.

4. guest

guest Active Member

I believe that it was catfishrivers, on this forum, that offered up this as a possible solution to someone else. Try this: Go to: System Settings/Applications/Manage Applications (All)/Netflix/Clear Data.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Have you been using the NSZ-GT1 for long? Netflix should still work on the NSZ-GT1 but I don't doubt that Netflix won't offer any help for older versions of the Netflix client, like the one Google TV uses. Sony can not do anything about updating the NSZ-GT1 Netflix client to a newer version, that will never happen so there is no reason to request that from Sony.

I only recently discontinued Netflix and can't check to see if my NSZ-GT1s will still handle Netflix but I can find no other complaint that it no longer works with Google TV. If it doesn't work with the NSZ-GT1, it clearly wouldn't work with the Logitech Revue and the various Sony HDTVs with Google TV. I can think of no reason it wouldn't work with the NSZ-GT1 and would work with the Sony NSZ-GS7/GS8, Vizio Co-Star, Asus Cube, Netgear GTV, Hisense Pulse or any other Google TV model running Android 3.2. I am just not seeing any complaints anywhere about any of them losing Netflix last week and would expect to see hundreds of complaints online if that actually happened.

The fix is something else is my conclusion, clear cache with the app, a problem with your specific internet service or network, or your GT1 has some other problem of some kind.

6. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe New Member

I have had it since late 2011. I have not had any major problems with Netflix until now.

I had cleared the cache. No luck. I tried clearing the data just now. No luck.

I recognize that Netflix support is probably telling me something incorrect, but pointing fingers does not solve the problem.

I also realize calling Sony was not going to help, but I have tried everything else. So I tried it.

7. guest

guest Active Member

You've unplugged the device and then reconnected it. Have you ever done a Factory Reset? I use a Logitech Revue and every few months something comes up whereby I'm forced to do a factory reset. It's a simple process and only takes about fifteen minutes to get back up and running. Just write down the names of all your sideloaded apps. The others will be saved in your account in the Play Store. There's a procedure for saving your bookmarks.

You could also try doing a Force Stop of the app. Unfortunately, you can't do an uninstall/reinstall of Netflix. If Netflix is showing as an app in the Play Store, though, you could try downloading it and see what sort of message pops up when you try it. Does it say it's already installed?

I've never used Netflix but my Revue says that it has version 3.1.3.

If you haven't done a Factory Reset, I'd do that.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I never had any problems with Netflix on Google TV either. I am not sure why you consider my post pointing fingers, I only explained why I concluded the problem isn't not having Netflix 4.0. If nobody using the NSZ-GT1 with Netflix stops by to comment and you want to see if we can rule out Netflix not working on any Sony NSZ-GT1 as the issue, send me a PM and we can communicate by phone and try to do that. I subscribed to Amazon Prime Instant Video recently and two weeks ago dropped a long term Netflix subscription or I would already know that answer.

9. chiledog

chiledog New Member

I have a NSZ-GT1 and used Netflix last night.(so it is still working). Something is wrong with your setup.

Sometimes you need to clear Netflix's data and restart the box (ie, need to reconfigure Netflix). I think you said you already tried that. Good luck, no one supports these boxes any more, so you are pretty much on your own.

10. ericd

ericd Active Member

When my Netflix app acts up, I run through these steps in order...
    Clear the apps cache (check to see if app works)
    Clear the apps data...you'll need to sign back in (check app again)
    Power cycle your unit, unplug it for 10 seconds (check again)
    Power cycle router and modem
    If none of that works you'll have to factory reset the unit