Quantcast

Generial newbie questions - new sony box user

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by sl0re10, Oct 14, 2012.

1. sl0re10

sl0re10 New Member

Hi all. I bought the new Sony yesterday thinking I'd go easy on myself and stop trying to get no name Chinese android tv boxes to do everything I need. But so far I'm having more trouble with this than the no names. These are problems I am having if anyone has any tips.

1) netflix apps does not work. Says it can not communicate with netfix. Sometimes I can get to the point of picking a moving but the progress bar only gets to about 20% and then errors out. I have other devices that use netflix from the same subnet. No problems.

2) I have not been able to get playon working yet. The Playon app says it needs flash (which I had an apk laying around for, installed, and it seems to work in chrome). If I try to use a dnla player with playon I get 'not supported' when I try to view a video. To top it off, I can not install a codec (which I read a thread on; seems to be the norm). I have one more playon trick to try; browse to it from chrome...

3) Any VPN apps or shortcuts to settings features that are not visable?

Thanks.

2. mplsbill

mplsbill New Member

I can help you with playon, make sure you have the playon server running on yor pc connected to the costar, then use your chrome browser on the costar to navigate to g.playon.tv, there you'll get playon to showup and just bookmark it for the future. Since I was made aware of using the g.playon.tv url I've never had a problem with it!

3. sl0re10

sl0re10 New Member

PS
    My web browsing trick did work. You can browse to your playon server from inside Chrome. Internal IP:54479.
    Playon seems to have fixed the resolution. Older versions only output phone quality video. Picture looks good on my 20 inch screen....

Still; if anyone knows why the built in video codecs don't seem to catch on upnp players...

4. sl0re10

sl0re10 New Member

Ah, cool thanks. I used to have trouble with that from android. I had to do the above.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

6. sl0re10

sl0re10 New Member

That didn't help.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Can you be more specific? What didn't help?

Carl