Quantcast

Geek guy - probably going to buy Logitech Revue but lots of questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by valkyr, Oct 6, 2011.

1. valkyr

valkyr New Member

So, I'm new here. I work in IT, enjoy geeking out once in a while and tearing into things. For example, recently replaced my cpu on my Dell Studio laptop so I could run virtual machines on more than 1 core. That was actually *not* a pleasant experience though let me tell ya.

Anyway, I have a lot of questions about the Revue.

Off the top of my head:
    1. Can you get 5.1 (or better) with Netflix and Amazon VOD? Do you need to update the OS on the revue to do this if it is possible?
    2. What accessories make the Revue better? Iphone app, different remote, anything?

I guess that's all at the moment...

THanks!

2. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

There is apparently an issue with 5.1 sound and HDMI passthrough only giving 2 channels of sound. I've never experienced it because I've been using optical out from my TV to my home theater system.

I'm not sure what Amazon VOD offers because I've never used it, but when it's available on Netflix I get it now.

The only accessory I use with the Revue is the official Google TV app for Android. It works really well, though it has an annoying habit of wanting to reconnect all the time.

I've not heard a single good thing about the mini controller so I've passed on that. Price is too high for something that nobody seems to like. The video kit doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. valkyr

valkyr New Member

Good info. Thanks...

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

A lot of people like the special video camera that Logitech sells for the Revue. It is a high quality HD camera. The price seems kind of high though to some people. This is the only vid cam that works with the Revue. (Logitech makes other vid cams - but only one works with the Revue).

5. valkyr

valkyr New Member

Definitely not up for a video camera...I'd hate to frighten people LOL

6. stuberman

stuberman Member

Hey Valkyr,

I also work in IT and telepresence is a big deal now. The combined package with video camera from Logitech is only $200 and works as well for me as far more expensive units we use at work. In fact we are looking at deploying the Logitech HD Vid solution in many cases.

I also use the iPhone app and my kids use the iPad app.

We like the Revue so much we bought two (one for the living room and one for my home office)

7. scarredupmario

scarredupmario New Member

The Google TV remote app is superior to the Logitech Harmony Remote app. I have a harmony remote so was interested to see what that app would do for me but it is non-responsive. The Google TV remote app is much better.

8. valkyr

valkyr New Member

so, have any of you applied the 3.1 HC update to the Revue, and if so, do you like it, was it worth the effort?

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You'll have to enable Harmony IR compatibility through GTV Settings > Input devices > Harmony remote controls > Enable

I listed the difference between input devices on this thread: Inconsistent Revue functionality across the Harmony Input Devices - Logitech Forums. Most notable that Google's app has the voice control ability and the specific ability to control blu-ray players, where as Logitech's remote app has the Watch Google TV activity, a breakout section for specific device control, and an Aspect Ratio button.