Quantcast

Geek Deals: Sub-$300 Dell Vestro 2420 Laptop With Ubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 6, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Geek deals: Sub-$300 Dell Vostro 2420 laptop with Ubuntu Linux | Chips | Geek.com (click for full article)

Jan. 4, 2013 (11:00 am) By: Sal Cangeloso

"Yes, you read that right: a new (not refurbished or used!) laptop with an Intel processor and full warranty for just $299. What's the catch, you ask? This entry-of-the-entry-level laptops comes loaded with Ubuntu instead of Windows 8. And for many geeks, that's not a catch at all.

If you are on a tight budget, this machine makes sense for even the most novice users. It has everything you need to get on the internet and do basic office tasks, but at hundreds less than even the most basic Windows laptops. In fact, the Windows version of the Vostro 2420, which also upgrades from a dual-core Celeron to a Core i3 processor, runs $419 and the lowest priced Windows machine we have seen this year start at $399.

Despite being an entry-level machine, you still got a nice complement of standard features, including three USB 2.0 ports, anti-glare screen, multi-touch touchpad, webcam, HDMI output, 3-in-1 media card reader, Wireless-N, and Bluetooth. Being a small business model, this merely $299 laptop even has next-business-day on-site warranty service for the first year. Not only is the price of this Linux-based 14-inch laptop just $299, but for a limited time you can get free shipping to boot.

14-inch Dell Vostro 2420 1.7GHz Celeron Dual-core Laptop w/2GB RAM, 320GB HDD for $299 with free shipping (normally $358) - http://bit.ly/UsSwCk "

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm a novice about computers (never even owned one -:) ) So I'm wondering how would this Ubuntu laptop compare to a Windows laptop (plusses & minuses)? To a Chromebook? Would it be good for connecting it to my TV for web surfing, HULU, video streaming etc? Better than a cheap android TV stick?

Does Adobe Flash still support Ubuntu Linux?

Does Ubuntu have a TV platform available yet? (On the Ubuntu web site they mention something about "Ubuntu TV").

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013