Quantcast

gave the nsz gs7 a test run... not that impressed..

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Scuzzo, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i bought one of them fire sale refurb gs7's condition is mint..
    and it works as it should but... for one reason i would choose the first gen nsz-gt1 over it..
    24p play back... it makes such a nice difference... im pretty sure that i will just box this up and wait for the updates... because even if the gt1 is old End of life... the fact that it will do 24p 1080p display makes it just a better machine... i dont hate the gs7... but i think that its lack of 24p not great,, and the 2core processor really makes no difference... all apps and stuff i throw at it... its no faster at any thing then the gt1... but this is the only way i can follow google tv to its jelly bean updates.. and im not about to get a co-star... or any thing else but a sony... its a choice.. dont really feel down about it... im sure cool things are coming... chrome cast and a decent android platform for once... its worth the 100 bucks just to store away and wait it out... but i am convienced the best google tv experience is the first gen gt1..

hope google prooves me wrong with JellyTVbean..

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input. In case anyone is interested here are the official specs for the various processors used in GTV boxes.

AnandTech | The Boxee Box Review

The Logitech Revue uses the Intel CE 4150 which is a single core processor clocked at 1.2 GHz. The Intel CE 4150 GPU is clocked at 400 MHz.
    The Sony NSZ-GT1 uses the Intel CE 4170 which is a single core processor clocked at 1.6 GHz. The Intel CE 4170 GPU is clocked at 400 MHz.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5296/google-tv-goes-arm-with-marvells-armada-1500/2

The second generation GTV boxes use the Marvell Armada 1500 processor which is a dual-core processor clocked at 1.2 GHz. The Marvell Armada 1500 GPU is clocked at 750 MHz.

* For those that are curious the Boxee Box uses the Intel CE 4110.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

As I have mentioned, I have not noticed any speed improvements with the NSZ-GS7 compared to the NSZ-GT1. As far as a preference, the NSZ-GS7 runs a few apps now that can't be run with the NSZ-GT1 and that difference will only get bigger as time marches on, so I consider the NSZ-GS7 the superior box. Better codec support and a Blu-ray player with the NSZ-GT1 can certainly offset the difference in access to apps for some users. I am a big fan of both boxes and suspect both will be used in my household for many years.

4. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I never had the first generation of Sony but against the Revue the GS7 is a tad quicker downloading web pages.Wonder if the Revue could handle the 4.0 ICS version of Android? First or second generation of devices Sony has the more stable of the bunch.My Nook that was rooted from ICS4.0 to JB 4.2.2 was a nice jump in that more neat apps was compatible and a difference in speed of surfing.I hope Google gets this upgrade done right cause it will be worth the wait!

5. drhill

drhill Member

Worst thing is that the hardware supports 24p, and all the codecs the gt1 has. It's just sony being cheap and not putting the programming effort into it.

Don't get on that dual core hype either. The intel hardware is a champ and Intel ported jellybean to x86. The hardware lacks a secure element and Google would rather support one hardware set instead of not crapping on their loyal early adopters.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  6. Travel

Travel Active Member

I went from the Revue single core to the GS7 dual core and noticed no significant difference in performance; but, a dual core benefit (or quad core), from what I understand, manifests primarily with multi-tasking functions. But then, you can't multi-task with the GS7 at the moment, so the benefit of a dual core processor wouldn't be apparent.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Many of the codecs would require licensing royalties and the profit margins for a product like this requiring long term firmware development with no revenue to cover that cost are slim. There just isn't sufficient margin to have everything we would want. Logitech and Sony both started with prices that would provide margins sufficient to make that business model work but both met a market unwilling to pay the price necessary.

The DRM concern is very unfortunate because I am sure you are right, the NSZ-GT1 could handle Jellybean just fine. I haven't given up hope the NSZ-GT1 will be updated but I am sure the chances are minuscule if not zero.

8. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

the whole codex thing will be talk of the past once jellybean makes it... if its a true port of jellybean and not some google tv bean bastardization.. once the market opens up for good and all.. you will have choice of 6 or so different players... but what i am hoping for most of all is xda to root this thing and cut it free from googles dev cycle.. to get cy Mods nightly going and see where thing thing can really go.. thats why i bought it.. its not a bad box at all aside from the 24p thing.. i have a free hdmi port so i run the gs7 out of that just for fun right now... if googlebean comes out good.. then im sure this will surpass the gt1.. but right now both are one that awfull honeycomb thing... thats prob with all the cpu cycles are spend... and if or when chromecast makes it in... that will be cool too... if they can get it to play well with plex and xbmc.. so a lot of cool things could happen with the 2gen gtv.. i dont think that first gen could run JB with out too much over head.. it would be laggy and a crash fest... but any dual core can.. my minix runs it quite well.. but i think the days of the single core 1ghz processor are starting to fade.. so... while i like the gt1 better its not that much better and its EOL... its seen its last update.. but the blu ray is good enough to keep it in the entertainment center for a long time.. heck any sony google tv for a hundred bucks is a steal.... mho... no question.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I haven't proven anything nor used a non-ARM GTV device, but at least in theory the dual core CPU should be activated and available whenever the GTV has more than one thing to do. That's just not running your Apps, but anything that's written to be in a separate thread of execution. For instance handling of the remote or the display may have been implemented this way. One of the reasons GTV gets so sluggish are all the Apps we load that have a component that runs in the background on a periodic basis. Alas, these seem to cause more of a RAM issue than a CPU issue.

10. CatfishRivers

I was reading Warren Rehman's Google+ page - he is a GTV employee and currently there is a very interesting ongoing thread there. Warren mentioned that the specific Intel chips used in first-generation GTV devices wouldn't support the NDK:

https://plus.google.com/103780053534929069969/posts/Yb8kc6uefEm

From that thread:

*** Warren Rehman Yesterday 11:00 AM+3

+Adam Christensen perhaps in hind sight it seems an unfortunate choice to use the Intel SOC with the first generation of devices for several reasons (price of SOC, incompatibility with NDK, Intel abandoning their TV SOC plans when the company shut down its Digital Home Group) but it was the best option at the time.

We moved to ARM to support NDK and unfork our Android customizations back to mainline. We made sure we supported Intel based v1 devices up to v2, but they would never get off Honeycomb due to the NDK incompatibility. Unfortunately this affected first gen devices and early adopters.

I still use my Sony Google TV Blu-Ray player, and it works great, but I'm going to use a Chromekey for Cast support. ***

And from the same thread there was also this post from Warren Rehman:

*** +Steven Mattera ARM NDK code can run on some x86 SOCs via Intel's Houdini binary translator. Not the case for the SOC used in first gen GTV devices ***

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  11. drhill

drhill Member

He's full of it. People have gotten native code to work on those devices via a lot of hacks. Google's previous line about lack of NDK was because of Bionic and Chrome. Now they change the story. They don't want to support x86.

12. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

I thought the nsz-gs7 supports 24p output there's an option in settings to enable it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

13. drhill

drhill Member

Haven't found an app that it works on. I know people have said the pass through of 24p works, but no one has said an app outputs it yet.

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

15. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

ok, so having lived with it a for a bit.. i will edit my revue of the gs7 some... while there are some things that i dont like about it... its inability to do 24p.. i dont really like the remote too much... its ok but i think the revue remote got it right so i have ordered a unifying adapter... but i think that it is a bit faster and smoother then the gt1 and loads upon loads more polished then the revue i had.. that could be sour grapes because logitech screwed me over so badly with their tech support circus..

so for right now i will run the two side by side just to compare and contrast... but i have a feeling if we get Jelly bean and xda is able to root this and pull it out of google and sony hands thing will get really interesting... but even so... it need not be rooted to run xbmc.. and thats where all the content is.. so.. thats what i hope for... but by that time the next thing will be out... and google tv will be one gen behind current tech.. im not sure what the issue is with the 24p.. but i think it may have something to do with it being a gtv blu ray player... all blu ray players i know will display in 24p... im not sure is a priority for just a set top box.. but anyway...
    if you are looking to upgrade your revue or costar has done you wrong... these Sony 2nd Gen boxes are really a great deal for a hundred bucks... its a no brain kinda deal... and thing you can score a gs8 remote for 50 bucks so.. your still 50 bucks to the good vs buying a gs8.. but i just use the remote app to do voice commands.. its keen... but its not worth dumping the whole gs7 for a gs8 just to blah blah.. channel switch and stuff.. perhaps the next sw update will put some fire power to voice control... right now .. is just kinda neat.. thats all....

mho

16. CatfishRivers

I'm still using my Logitech Revue. I'm waiting until CES in January because I think the odds favor that the third generation GTV hardware will be announced then (and then come to market in early 2014). I'm hoping for something with 2GB of RAM. I primarily use my Revue for the web browser - so I haven't really felt rushed into buying anything else yet.