Quantcast

Gaming Lag

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Duo.Maxwell, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Duo.Maxwell

Duo.Maxwell New Member

So I have done a bit of research regarding the gaming lag but have failed to come across a definitive answer regarding future resolution of the lag.

Essentially I would like an official reply from Daniel or any other moderator, but if any of you have solid information feel free to post it.

Who would go about fixing it? Are the image processing routines on Google's side? Or is this code done by Sony?
    Is it a recognized issue and is there any chance of resolution?

While I do not game very often and do not need a 0.000000001 second response time or an over 9000 refresh rate, playing any kind of game is pretty much out of the question at this point. If there are no plans to fix this I will probably just return the set and stick it out with my 32" Samsung.

Regards,
    -Duo

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The problem actually stems from processing by the Intel CE4150 of the HDMI signal. Unfortunately, in order for Google TV to work it has to go through subroutine. Personally, I think they should have an option to disable it and allow the signal to flow unprocessed or at least dedicate one HDMI port which bypasses Google TV altogether.

I believe they are aware of the issue; however, it is one of those things which needs to be actively complained about. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a high enough priority to have it resolve quickly with out the appropriate numbers to back it up. Squeaky wheel and all that.

3. trident

trident New Member

One of the ways I deal with it is to play everything over component. I switch my ps3 often, because I also use it as a media player too, but for games, playing over just component is very do-able. You loose a couple more mili-seconds response time than most TVs, but I haven't had a problem with most games.

4. Duo.Maxwell

Duo.Maxwell New Member

Hmm...I'll give that a shot. If that does not work I think this tv is going back to best buy. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
    -Duo

5. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Duo, I've played my 360 on multiple HDMI's and component cables. The lag you experience will be the near the same on both. Just for justification, I even used Rockband's auto-calibration lag tests and both ways of signal output to the TV resulted in significant delay numbers, around 150ms.

It is Sony's fault for their "advanced signal processing." It will happen on any signal that goes through the TV. Since past Sony's had a game mode, I didn't even think about game lag when I bought my Sony GTV. I just assumed this TV would have it too.

Since the menu is run through Google's Android system, I often wonder why game mode wasn't in there from the get-go. I hope the GTV 2.0 update will bring also a game mode.
    Either way, I, right now, have a Samsung UN32D5500 on its way! Depending on how things go with GTV, I'll get a GTV console for it. I would just say Revue, but who knows if a new "Revue" will come out by the time I'm ready to invest some more into GTV.

6. clowncarni

clowncarni New Member

I agree the input lag is horrible, worse than any other TV for that matter. Will this issue ever be addressed? I would like to play COD:MW2. Hopefully this is fixed by the time COD:MW3 is out in November.

7. Duo.Maxwell

Duo.Maxwell New Member

I believe this TV is going to end up going back. I feel like I got an epic deal (the best buy 599.99 for the 46") and I LOVE the TV and picture. I am really tempted to keep it with all of the google features, etc. and because I find myself rarely playing video games nowadays...but honestly I don't want to lock myself out of a 400-500 dollar investment for this tv (wii and xbox 360).

Plus since Google has purchased Motorola Mobility I don't see google tv on cable boxes as being a far off possibility, especially with FIOS's openness regarding TV features. If there was any press release or any shred of hope that an update will be released in the future, I would keep it...but as the 30-day window approaches, I find myself doubting I will not regret this purchase.

8. clowncarni

clowncarni New Member

i completely agree. i got the same deal at best buy too but am on the fence. not being able to game sucks but i like the youtube and chrome aspect. ideally i want this as my bedroom tv (replace my sv421xvt) and rep that 46" HX909 XBR if it ever comes back on slickdeals/tigerdirect. i found myself mostly using the pandora app which the hx909 has. but for such a good price, it would be difficult to return. ohh i also like to show off the remote to friends/guests :)

now i gotta get back to trying to snag an HP touchpad from somewhere!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  9. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Like I said before, I had a Samsung LED 32" coming. It is here now and is great and everything! It can play any format video I've thrown at it so far, AND it plays from my NTSC formatted 1TB external! Even without game mode on, it doesn't lag noticeably while playing my 360. I turned on game mode anyway though! I recommend you guys DO keep the tv, if you already have it and if you can afford to get another TV as well... Or do a life change and stop playing video games(YEAH RIGHT HAHA). Currently, My Sony 32" GTV is at my girlfriend's apt, as the living room TV there. While there is an xbox upstairs that will possibly get moved downstairs for watching netflix and dvds, they are currently using the tv for of course normal watching, netflix, and the internet.

Seriously though, imagine not even trying to play video games on it. Forget that you tried playing MW2 and had to try to play like as if you knew every move before it happened. What do you see now? You see an awesome tv that brings so much functionality to your fingertips without having to pull out a game controller(for xbox's netflix or something) or a laptop!

10. chig

chig New Member

Hello, fellow gamers. New here, and have a problem but it is not lag, surprisingly... After reading all the comments and complaints on various sites (a lot by one user jaytee).

My problem is sometimes the screen will blank out for a second. Sometimes only the sound will chip out for half a second but when I play some games the screen and sound goes for a second or less. I play NBA 2k11 and dont have a problem, tried a few PS Minis (to test for any timing/lag issues) and no problem, but it started happening when I played COD MW2 after a while, then it blanked like 2 more times after exiting the game. Tried the God of War Collection today and it started up after playing about 10 mins. Again, shortly after exiting the game the screen stopped chipping out. I haven't tried many other games as yet cause I mainly game on my other TV a Bravia but I'll try other stuff out and give my reports if necessary.

Sorry if it's long, tried to give as much details as I can. And I'm using the NSX-24GT1, the 24" one that is just LCD not LED, don't know if that makes a difference where the lag is concerned. Just bought it Friday night.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nah, lag issues give you the experience where your controls aren't concurrent with what is happening on screen. You're problem sounds more like HDCP issues where the screen is blanking due to problem with handshaking.

12. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Just for troubleshooting purposes, unplug whatever console you are playing on and plug it back in. That means unplug all cables from all ends and plug them back in. Next, if you are still having issues and are using an HDMI cable, try using a different one. Doesn't necessarily have to be a different brand/model, but if you do have another brand/model, why not try it?

13. chig

chig New Member

Okay I think I've managed to isolate what games bring the blinking problem, it only happens with games running in 1080p. So while it never happens in games like FIFA 11, NBA 2K11, Assassin's Creed etc that run in 720p, I tried the games I know that run in 1080p by default and after a while I will notice it happens. So far I've put in Modern Warfare 2, God of War Origins Collection demo again, Metal Gear Solid 4, and trying out Wipeout HD now. The blinking in GoW happened much less often than yesterday, and in MGS4 it only happened twice in over an hour of playing/watching, actually both were while watching the cutscenes.

Almost an hour playing Wipeout now and no hickups yet.. does it sound like something resolving itself or is there some setting I should change? Of course the simplest solution I see for me right now is to just set the PS3 to only output 720p to this TV but its been getting better over time as it seems. Cant think of many other 'native' 1080p games I have right now. I'll try watching Avatar later to see if it happens with BR movies too. Oddly enough it doesn't happen on the XMB either.

14. StevenB

StevenB New Member

I thought I said something about 720p but I must have deleted it.. With such a small sized tv, setting it to 720p is just fine. You shouldn't notice too much a difference in detail between the two settings. That's why a lot of 23 inch screens only do up to 720p.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Heh, I know in many threads, I wrote that reducing the output resolution will minimize the perceived lag. I guess that I didn't post that in this particular thread. Sorry. It makes perfect sense; the lower the resolution the less the pixels needs to be (re)processed. Even going from 1080p to 1080i helps a little, more so if you go as low as 720p.

16. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Really, depending how close you are to the set, and what size screen you have, most people really can't see the difference, at least in movies and such.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You shouldn't see any lag in movies, that's just streamed so buffering isn't a problem. It's actually helpful in this respect to avoid streaming issues due to network connectivity. The problem more apparent while one is using precise timing and hand-eye coordination to strike a note or shoot a foe where in actuality, you're just blowing in the wind. How many....

18. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Ahhh..
    Makes perfect since people make instant decisions, while movies don't..
    That way you can actually see the gore while you are firing, or blowing something up..
    I never really looked at it that way, as I never play video games what-so-ever.
    I don't even have solitaire on my mac....

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Okay, so, I grabbed the Rockband Guitar and the game then hooked up the Xbox 360 into the Sony Internet TV (NSX-24GT1). It was originally hooked up to my Sony GDM-FW900 at a full 1080p output and the calibration system is set to zero. With this setup, I normally play on Expert and average 98% notes hit. However on the Sony Internet TV, I attempted to play Rock Band without recalibrating the system. This lead to a complete failure as I couldn't even pass 20 seconds on the Medium setting and missed every note.

Setting the auto-calibration parameters to "LCD TV" did not help either. I walked through Rockband's manual calibration wizard. The results is 50ms for A/V System, the 52ms for lag compensation, and overscan was enabled. These settings allowed me to play on medium with a 100% notes hit and 99% notes hit on expert. Clearly, from these results there's at least a 50-52ms lag when using 1080p through Google TV. If I was playing Halo, that's the difference between me getting a headshot or having my head shot.

I could go back and set the output of the Xbox 360 to 1080i or 720p but I know the lag will minimize with the reduced resolution size. I suspect that those of you that say the Sony 24" Google TV has no lag, either are playing at a reduced resolution or you've become accustomed to playing games with lag that you can't recognize it or are subconsciously compensating for it. I am; however, very sensitive to video game lag.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is probably why...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014