Quantcast

Fulfilling the promise of major network TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by korebreach, Jul 24, 2011.

1. korebreach

korebreach New Member

I recently picked up a Google TV (Logitech Revue) on eBay. I had already known about the major networks blocking GTV, but thought there may be workarounds that weren't too much trouble. A few days into my use of GTV, I came to realize that the internet-TV concept just wasn't going to work out (except for Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube). I was pretty bummed. ...but then I thought, if there is a ton of stuff on Hulu, and Hulu doesn't have any problem streaming to a PC, is there some way that I could get Hulu to stream to my PC (which is always on) and have the stream "re-streamed" to the GTV in real time?

After lots of poking around forums, I finally found my solution! A program called TVersity did the trick quite nicely. Their free version won't let you stream internet content (only things on your PC), but their Pro version does! For $40, you can add feeds from Hulu (look for the RSS feed icon) for your favorite TV shows. I was stunned. The first thing I did was add my new favorite ABC show (the feed for full episodes) from Hulu. I then pointed the GTV at the Flash-based media server page on my PC (that TVersity creates). Not everything is perfect, but it's pretty darn good. Occasionally, you get a very low resolution show (which is still watchable), or a video that freezes, but mostly you just get internet TV goodness.

Now, combined with my other new discovery, which is a service called Symbaloo, life is good with my GTV. Symbaloo is now my default GTV browser page. On that, I can customize tiles that start all my favorite websites (in a much more compact manor than the GTV bookmarks). I even made a tile that goes to the TVersity media server on my PC.

Hope this helps someone else. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  2. mdloops

mdloops New Member

Never knew this site existed. Thanks