Quantcast

Frozen "sony"

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by srosa28, Jan 12, 2011.

1. srosa28

srosa28 New Member

My sony internet tv box is frozen.When I power on it only says SONY on screen. Anyone know how I can fix this. have tried rebooting by disconnecting and alt+clt+del, powering on and off

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Did you try unplugging it for a couple minutes??
    Another thing, if you had a screen, this is not just a reset, it's a little more of a harder reset is this.
    To reboot your Google TV device, press and hold the Ctrl, Alt, and Backspace keys on your controller.

In order to reset your device to factory settings, type 'Settings' into the Quick Search Box, or, from the Home Screen, select Applications and then Settings. Scroll down to select About, then select Factory Data Reset.

Here's a little more reading on it for ya..
    http://www.google.com/support/googletv/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1033179

Another site ...

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/tutorial-display.pl?tut_id=618

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. sparkyscott21

Did you ever get it working correctly?

4. jpsilvashy

jpsilvashy New Member

I just started having this problem as well... happened when I started using an external usb drive that I had some movies on plugged into the TV. The Drive was formatted Fat32 but I don't know if that even matters, It did work well with the drive plugged into the TV, I watch ed a few movies and what not. Either way now when I turn the TV on it only says "Sony" then after a few minutes it turns itself off.

Any thoughts?

5. srosa28

srosa28 New Member

Sorry, I can't help didn't get very far with anyone. That is how mine froze up. Mine was still under terms to return so I did and got a new one. GOOD LUCK

• Like Like x 2
  6. jpsilvashy

jpsilvashy New Member

Hmm... oh well, yah the Best Buy people are coming tomorrow to exchange mine too, I'm hoping its not a fundamental flaw with connecting an external hard disk, I'll definitely be weary of plugging in another, because I don't want to go though this again.

Maybe the rumors of Apples HDTV coming out are true and I can post this thing on Craigslist.

7. stinnergy

stinnergy New Member

thanks sparky. I have a sony/google tv and on the qwerty divice I did the " press and hold the Ctrl, Alt, and Backspace keys " and it worked.

8. sparkyscott21

Not a problem stinnergy...

Glad to lend a hand..
    If you need anything else, feel free to ask.. [​IMG]

9. Vhin

Vhin New Member

Any updates on this one? i have a similar problem, I got NSX-32gt1, When i turn the power on it always saying "process system is not responding"..
    need your help on this one guys..:)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Try pressing [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] to reboot it. If it doesnt recover then call Sony or exchane it for another one.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have the Logitech Revue device. For freeze-ups usually pressing Ctrl + Alt + DEL will fix the problem (but not always). When pressing Ctrl + Alt + DEL doesn't work - then I unplug my Revue and plug it back in. That has never failed to solve a freeze-up problem for me. Also make sure that you haven't lost your internet connection.

12. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

13. Pocketneo

Pocketneo New Member

Mine froze while in Chrome on a page with a video. When it wouldn't reboot even with the ctrl alt backspace I tried to reboot by yanking the power cord from my Sony nsz-gs7 and now the Sony logo is displayed and nothing else. I cannot ctrl alt backspace. Does nothing. Any advice? How can I reset or reboot? HELP!

14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. To reset your Sony NSZ-GS7 to factory default settings - follow the advice given by the Sony moderator in the second post on the following thread:

My Sony NSZ-GS7 is not working and is requiring me... - Sony Community

From the above thread:

"Reset the Internet Player to the factory default settings.
    Follow the below steps to reset the Player.
    1) Unplug the power cord from the Internet TV device.
    2) Use a ballpoint pen to press and hold the CONNECT button on the bottom of the Internet Player.
    3) Plug the power cord back into the Internet TV device.
    4) When the System Recovery screen appears, release the CONNECT button.

NOTE: It make take around 30 seconds before the screen displays.
    5) Press the CONNECT button once to select Factory Reset and un-pair Remote Control.
    6) Press and hold the CONNECT button for just over 5 seconds.
    7) Release the CONNECT button.
    8) Press the CONNECT button to select Yes.
    9) After choosing the desired reset option, press and hold the CONNECT button for just over 5 seconds.
    10) Release the CONNECT button.

Also, update the Firmware in the Player."

*If that procedure doesn't work for you - then you need to contact Sony support. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  15. Pocketneo

Pocketneo New Member

Thank you, that worked.
    I also did a restore but it seems I still need reinstall apps I had prior.
    Is there a way to backup so I don't need to reinstall most apps again?

16. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Most apps acquired through the Play Store, compatible with Google TV, should automatically reinstall. I I recall with the Logitech Revue, a couple did not. I have not done a factory reset and restore with the NSZ-GS7 but it shouldn't be an any different than the Revue. Side loaded apps, I wouldn't expect to reinstall but I don't have any.

17. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Yes, all apps and bookmarks should be restored. The one problem I've seen is that most accts are NOT properly synced. Folks are not understanding that simply checkmarking the Sync bookmark box does not allow for a full restore of Apps & bookmarks. Ya gotta go into homesettings and click on the Google TV e-mail address of each acct you want to sync. I don't know why Google made this feature so complicated, but all the devices I've tried out have transferred most of my data to the new devices w/various limitations w/the exception of the Vizio Co-Star.

Most devices restored all my apps within a few minutes after going through the initial setup. Others restored my bookmarks a few hours after setup. This proved a lil confusing as I had already started to manually add my bookmarks. When using the Open Launcher and I had duplicate bookmarks it finally occurred to me that the restore function worked.

I'd simply jumped the gun...

Carl

18. Pocketneo

Pocketneo New Member

I spoke too soon. After having recovered after re-install of all the apps had prior and after using Netflix for a quick flick, I surfed a bit on Chrome, it froze, my remote didn't function though was blinking. So I yanked the plug waited a minute and upon putting it back in ... Nada. No power no light nothing. I will give it a go tomorrow to see if anything changed.

Though, I have to say I am thoroughly disappointed with this unit. More trouble than its worth.