Quantcast

Frequency App

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by ericd, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ericd

ericd Active Member

Just saw this app on Google+ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frequency.android. Looks pretty promising but unfortunately its incompatable with all my devices. The link says it will work with the Sony internet player and Samsung Smart tv's. Hoping someone can share the apk.

• Like Like x 4
  2. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

Interesting. It's even available on my first gen TV. I'll have to check it out.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I just installed it on a Sony NSZ-GT1. I would assume it will be available for all Google TV models eventually if it works properly on the Sony models, the roll out may be quick or take a few weeks. I don't know yet whether it is a useful app but first glance is promising.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

At first glance from the description on Google Play - Frequency seems kind of similar to the Redux app - although I'm sure there are differences.

5. Tye

Tye Member

I installed this about an hour ago on my Revue. The Play app doesn't list it but the Play website does and it let me install on the Revue from there. So far, it's working great and I'm pretty impressed.
    As CatfishRivers guessed, it's very similar to Redux in a lot of ways but seems to have more and more granular choices for your content. If they keep the content/channels updated I can see this becoming a must-have app.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  6. ChrisG8

I think it is really cool. Access to a few Johnny Carson Tonight Show episodes and lots of clips. It is well designed and easy to use in my opinion. Some content doesn't play at all and I suspect that is a result of not being available for Google TV but nothing is certain.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Wow!

I like this app even without viewing all the content. You can tell there was a lot of work put into this one. This is how an app should work. I loved the way it started off loading the channels.

Smooth app, Eric, Da man!

Thanks

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  8. ericd

ericd Active Member

It wasn't from me, I saw it on Google + GTV friends, shoot... I can't even install it on any of my devices. Guess I have to wait till the developers open it up

9. Carlszone

Well, a good heads up, & thanks for passing it on. So many apps are listed as incompatible w/this unit I sometimes wonder if these units are only Google or Android in name alone.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tye

Tye Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. ericd

ericd Active Member

Thanks but it's a no go. I still have a gen 1 sony NSX on my Play account that it would load to. Wherever my old tv is, they just installed the app

• Like Like x 2
  12. shadow94448

shadow94448 New Member

I just downloaded the app as well and noticed some of the unplayable content -- could it be our internet's country location for some things? Also I noticed they have an iOS app that's free. Very similar on the iPad. Really enjoying it even though some things don't play - the news and the full length documentaries really got me, they're pretty great.

• Like Like x 2
  13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I noticed that on the Frequency website (on the homepage) there is an option to "watch with desktop browser". I tried it with my Logitech Revue and it asked me to sign-in with my Facebook account. I did and I was able to use the web version of Frequency with my Logitech Revue Chrome browser. Frequency reminds of the web app "Aio TV" that is available in the GTV Spotlight section:

aioTV

I noticed that a few videos were from Hulu and those didn't play. Probably the videos that don't play are from sites that block GTV - or the content isn't licensed for TV. Also on the web version of Frequency the videos from Facebook don't play - as it says I need to update Flash. But the YouTube videos work good. In fact you can search for videos on the Frequency site - and most of the search results seem to be videos from YouTube. So Frequency can kind of be used as an alternate web site in place of the YouTube web site. (At least with the Frequency web site I didn't encounter any "Aw Snap!" errors like I do sometimes on the YouTube web site).

In case anyone wants to try Frequency with the web browser - here's the link for the Frequency web site:

Frequency ~ Watch the Internet. Find and Play Online Videos from Websites and Social Networks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. ChrisG8

After a week, I still love this app and now go to this more often than I go to the YouTube app which I still love and between both get most all of my interesting little snippets about things going on. This app has been very stable and the Play Store shows compatibility with 3 of my 4 models, it is not available for the Vizio Co-Star.

Beats me how an app like this can exist, it costs nothing and somebody is devoting a fair amount of time to make it work so well. I guess some small advertising revenue is collected somehow from somebody but I don't have to understand how, I will just accept it as long as it lasts.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Carlszone

Yes!

It takes a good eye to spot the Gems from all the garbage. I was on my PC and was trolling through the MSN Apps store and came upon the free Sports app. I was able to input all the NFL teams & the top 25 College Football teams w/room for more. Each team is linked to the Fox sports page so all live games can take ya directly to the live Gametrax on the Fox Scoreboard.

That Desktop browser feature is the same option that makes the Sports app so awesome. That Frequency could incorporate that in a free app speaks volumes. I hope other developers take the hint.

Carl

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  16. tom_k

tom_k New Member

Great to hear that feedback, so glad you like the Frequency video app!
    Frequency is now available for the Vizio Co-Star - please check it out.

Tom
    (from Frequency)

• Like Like x 4
  17. tom_k

tom_k New Member

Some videos are blocked based on geography. Frequency is continually improving video playback as we expand to regions outside the US, but it's not 100% yet. Thanks for using the app!

Tom
    (from Frequency)

• Like Like x 2
  18. bobz

bobz Member

Hmm installed fine on my Lg google tv. Looks extremely promising. It said some videos not working properly and there was a lag. But overall it looked peachy. Hopefully they'll add more content.Thanx.

• Like Like x 4
  19. ericd

ericd Active Member

Thanks bobz, I can install it now. Looking forward to checking this one out

20. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

tom_k thanks for the GTV love and support. This app on my Sony GS7 and GS8 is awesome

• Like Like x 2