Quantcast

French TV Operator SFR Launches Android TV Set-Top Box

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 21, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

SFR launches Google Play set-top box (click for full article)

by Robert Briel - Nov. 21, 2013

-- French operator SFR has started offering customers a new hybrid STB using Android 4.2 combining access to DTT channels and Google Play apps.

The new box is available for rental at EUR3 a month and turns the television into a Google TV giving access to Google services on their TV sets, including YouTube, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Chrome, Picassa and hundreds of apps on PlayStore.

The box also gives access to dozens of radio stations and the on-demand and catch-up TV service from France's main broadcasters MyTF1, 6play, Pluzz). In addition, viewers will also have access to SFR video club, the operator's VOD portal with its catalogue of over 3,000 titles.

Connection to the TV set is via HDMI and the STB has two USB ports (which can connect to external hard discs), dual-band Wi-Fi, and acts as a media player capable of reading many audio and video codecs including Dolby Digital and DTS.

The new STB is mainly aimed at customers who are not able to receive IPTV, but can still be used by IPTV customers seeking more web TV content or a second TV gateway for their home.

2. guest

guest Active Member

3. CatfishRivers

There are also reported to be several hundred thousand TV boxes w/ Google TV in use in Korea (from Korean TV provider LGU). While I doubt any USA TV providers will install Android TV in their cable boxes - there could be some more Android TV activity in Europe & Asia in the coming months.

The news from France is good news for Google TV - as it shows that little by little Google TV is making small strides overseas. Google appears not to be giving up on Google TV (soon to be Android TV). I admit the situation with GTV in the USA seems a bit tenuous at the moment - but I think the odds still favor that we'll see some new Android TV devices at CES in January.

If worse comes to worse and the GTV manufacturers in the USA back out of the game - I think Google would then soldier on with a Nexus Android TV box or maybe even a Nexus Android television. The stakes for the living room are very high - and I don't envision Google throwing in the towel.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. CatfishRivers

Leading European Service Provider SFR Launches Hybrid Set-Top Box for Both Broadcasting and Streaming with Google Services for Smart TV Powered by Marvell's ARMADA 1500 Plus HD Media Platform (click for full press release)

JANUARY 14, 2014 --

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Marvell (Nasdaq: MRVL), a worldwide leader in integrated silicon solutions, today announced that European leading service provider, SFR, has launched its hybrid set-top box powered by Marvell's ARMADA 1500 Plus (88DE3108) system-on-chip (SoC) platform. The ARMADA 1500 Plus is a full HD media processor designed for a wide range of Smart video products. Underscoring its leadership in the Smart Home ecosystem, the ARMADA 1500 Plus will power SFR's hybrid set-top boxes to enable Google services for Smart TV.

"I'm very proud of Marvell's long-term collaboration with Google in empowering leading service providers to deliver immersive entertainment experiences with new products and services. The successful launch of this innovative device by SFR is a great example of how consumers can enjoy quality content delivered seamlessly through both broadcasting and streaming," said Weili Dai, President and Co-Founder of Marvell. "I would like to thank the passionate and dedicated engineering teams of Google, SFR, and Marvell in delivering this exciting new product and driving the 'Connected Digital Lifestyle' vision to serve today's global consumers for better lives."

Read more at: http://security.itbusinessnet.com/a...ls-ARMADA-1500-Plus-HD-Media-Platform-3008220

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. melindaxie

melindaxie New Member

this is cool, thanks for the notice