Quantcast

Freezing up after shutdown

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by john30308, Mar 25, 2013.

1. john30308

john30308 New Member

I love my Co-Star, but am still having troubles shutting if off. After watching TV, if I shut off (red button, top right corner) my TV first, then the Co-Star, my Co-Star will not restart next time I want to use it but seems to be frozen. I have to unplug and let it re-boot.

I have to shut off my Co-Star first, let it sit for like 4 seconds until the TV signal flashes back on for a second, and then you can see the Co-Star finally shut down. Then I can shut off my TV.

If I try to leave my Co-Star running and not shut it off (just shut off the TV), same thing happens.

I've noticed this before and have lived with it but it's really starting to bug me. Especially since I'm the only one in the house who takes the time to do it right, so essentially I have to re-boot the thing 3 out of 4 times I go to use it.

For what it's worth, I've done the hard reset 3 times trick and am running the cache cleaner.

Any similar experiences? Any advice?

2. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Just a thought....is CEC on on the costar? Almost sounds like that might be hanging up...My costar/tv combo will occasionally lose connection if I switch inputs on the tv, the only way to get it back is turning the tv off/on again.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

I've got the same problem with mine. The only difference for me is that if I leave the CoStar running, then when i turn on the tv everything is normal. I tried running CEC on the costar, but it just caused it to not shut down when the TV is shut off. It would go into that weird hibernation/sleep mode and wouldn't respond to the remote. Had to reboot everytime to get it back on. Just one of those idiosyncrasies I've learned to live with on the CoStar.
    Hope someone comes up with a solution, it's pretty annoying having my kids beg me to let them use the Costar as a hockey puck for their roller hockey team, because half the time they forget the "turn off procedure." Some days I'm sorely tempted to say yes.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

My technique is a little different guys, I shut down the Co-Star first, after 5 seconds, I shut down my TV and next I shut down all the other stuff .... I also have the Cache Cleaner app running on my Co-Stars, works like a charm with the new v4.6.0 Google TV 3 upscale update ... Never had any problems using this method ...! I recommend if the problem continues, send your box back to Vizio for a new replacement Co-Star ..

• Like Like x 2
  5. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

That's the same technique I was using. Shut down the costar, wait for the monitor to go blank then flash the picture back on for a second and go blank again. After this then turn off the TV and other components. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. When it didn't work the costar wouldn't respond to any remote commands to turn it back on. Had to unplug and plug the power supply back in to get it back on. Vizio Support was no help, their answer was to do a hard reset over and over again. When this didn't work they pretty much threw their hands up in the air. As far as returning it for an exchange, their answer was a flat out no, unless i could prove that it was the costar and not one of the other components causing the costar to act up. So I pretty much leave it on all the time. I'l wait for it to burn itself out from the heat and then I'll give it to my kids for that hockey puck.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

No way I would let Vizio get away with that, try calling tech support again, ask for a supervisor this time, naw man, try again ..

7. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

Nahhh, I've given up on Vizio. Like I said I'll just wait for it to crap out then trash it. A $99 box isn't worth the time and hassle. Hopefully it won't crap out until the next generation of GoogleTV boxes come out. I like the concept of GoogleTV, just not the way Vizio has implemented it.

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Wait for the WD version of the GTV set top box coming soon, WD makes a good solid product ...

9. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

Sorry if you guys already know this, but just in case, let me clarify what happens... when you hit the upper right/red power button you are putting the Co-Star in suspend/sleep mode. The light on back should be flashing when you are in this mode. When you hit power again, it should resume - light goes solid and Co-Star comes back to life within 5-8 secs.

We had guests in our home for about two weeks and they kept hitting that button. In suspend mode, Co-Star won't pass through the Live TV signal (in our case, DirecTV), and I would get calls at work. Since the light is on back, you can't tell when it's on or in suspend mode, so I just leave it on all the time now and I never have a problem. I also took the top silver plastic piece off of my unit so it vents better and it seems to stay cooler. We'll see over time how it handles being left on continuously.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

All that you said is 1000% correct, but I cut my Co-Stars off using the above method and my back white light blinks on and off, that's how I know my Co-Stars are cut off ...

11. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

Thanks LeadingMan. That's the way it SHOULD work. The problem I'm having is that it doesn't work that way consistently. A lot of the time when the red power button is pressed, the Live TV signal and audio goes away and the TV screen goes black, as if the costar is off/suspended/sleeping, but the light on back stays a solid white. When this happens it's impossible to turn it back on without unplugging and plugging back in the power cord. I work around this issue by just leaving the costar on 24/7. If it burns itself out in 6mo or a year, oh well. A $99 lesson in purchasing a Vizio product.

While this workaround eliminates the "resume" problem, to me it's a major fail of the costar. I understand why it doesn't "shutoff", since it would take a long time for the costar to boot back up, but you shouldn't have to go through a convoluted shut down procedure just to get it working the next time you want to use it. A simple "press button - turns off/press button - turns on" process shouldn't be that hard to master for Vizio.

Personally, I think that the culprit is the HDMI handshake or HDCP signal between the costar/cable box/avr. I don't think that the HDMI/HDCP signal is being released correctly by the costar when the costar is set to suspend/sleep. This causes it to hang and not go into suspend mode. Unplugging and plugging it back in resets the HDMI handshake/HDCP signal and it works again.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

My technique is a little different guys, I shut down the Co-Star first, after 5 seconds, I shut down my TV and next I shut down all the other stuff .... I also have the Cache Cleaner app running on my Co-Stars, works like a charm with the new v4.6.0 Google TV 3 upscale update ... Never had any problems using this method ...! I recommend if the problem continues, send your box back to Vizio for a new replacement Co-Star . ....

The thing about this is why my method works to perfection for me, but the very same method will not work to perfection for you ... I find this real strange, maybe something else is coming into play ...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  13. john30308

john30308 New Member

Just checked - nope, it's off.

14. john30308

john30308 New Member

Many thanks to all. Glad to know it's just not me. I think I'm going to try plugging my Co-Star into the "switched" outlet on my cable box. It will take a minute to turn on, but hopefully it's fool proof for the Mrs.

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Some people have this issue and others don't, it's got to be something, but I believe this issue affects the first batch of Co-Stars released, now I could be wrong ..

16. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Well I think it was mentioned a possible cause being with the HDCP handshake over the hdmi. I occasionally have a similar issue with my G2 and htpc, if I change inputs occasionally I loose the connection to the pc. I kinda think it is not just a costar "issue" but a GoogleTV one. Im curious if any GS7 owners are experiencing any odd behavior.

17. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

You hit the nail on the head, the HDMI CEC is going in and out or like you said, it's hanging up ... I tested the "ON" and "OFF" of the Co-Star with HDMI CEC "ON" and "OFF" too, for some unknown reason both ways, it hangs up at times, sometimes it works correctly ... I had to pull the plug to get the Co-Star on and off back to working normal again ... HDMI CEC should always be "ON" in my opinion, because I had less hang up with HDMI CEC "ON" all the time ...

18. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I also came across something on the plex forums about the plex app causing hangups on the launcher, I am almost curious if that could be a possible cause too, it has gotten to the point that I can't even count how often Plex force closes on my GTV devices anymore. No I don't have plexpass so I have the old code, which I paid for on the co-star, the G2 has a slightly newer version but both of them constantly are force closing, even when not in plex at all, just live tv viewer or, going to the app drawer can trigger a force close on it, I am reluctant to pay anymore to plex when I can't even get support on my currently paid apps, but that is a topic for another thread.

19. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Nerver had any force close issues with Plex, that's my favorite app ...

20. john30308

john30308 New Member

I'll give it shot for a while with it "On"