Quantcast

Free Skweezer Access Discontinued

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Feb 6, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Skweezer

There are others, but that had been the one I used.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I really don't know anything about what happened but it wouldn't surpise me if this is as a result of users not wanting ads and the difficulty of providing the service for free without ads.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Yeah I liked Skweezer because they allowed for bookmarking (on their web page). However over the last few weeks the service was a bit spotty - periodically I'd get a "Service Unavailable" message when trying to mobilize a web page, Then upon trying again a few seconds later it would work.

I'll list a few links to some other mobilizers:

Mowser - Mobilizing the web -- (Mowser - my new favorite. No bookmarking from within their site - but service is very fast, rarely any bugs, text is nice size. What I did was bookmark a few of my favorite mobilized web sites from Mowser on my GTV bookmarks. This saves me from having to type the URL of those sites into the "Go-To" bar on Mowser.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. guest

guest Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

Yes MLVB is pretty good. The big drawback for this one IMO is that on the mobilized web pages the text is too small. There is no way to adjust text size of mobilized pages from within the MLVB settings - so it must be done everytime a new page is mobilized from within the GTV settings (by pressing FN + on keyboard)

I do like that MLVB has bookmark capability on their web page. Also if you go to "advanced settings" I found that you can make it work faster by compressing the JPEG size to 50%. Also try some of the other advanced settings to fine tune the operation. Too bad the advanced settings don't have a setting for text size. If it did MLVB would be my preferred mobilizer of choice. As it currently stands though - I prefer Mowser because it mobilizes the web pages with nice large text.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Hmmm, I'm at a loss, exactly what do these websites do/offer? They look like search engines.

8. CatfishRivers

Here is an explanation of Skweezer on Wikipedia:

Skweezer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The same explanation applies to MLVB and the others. These sites are called "mobile HTML transcoders". In a nutshell they strip out all the "junk" such as Flash, javascript, pop-up ads, advertisements etc plus they reformat the page so that the page loads faster. It's great for mobile devices and (IMO GTV) - which have limited computing power compared to a full desktop computer. I use them for reading online newspapers when I want a good fast load time without ads, Flash crashes, freezes, pop-ups etc.

*You type the URL of the web page that you want to mobilize into the empty box on their page and click where it says "Go" or "Mobilize"- then it goes to a mobilzed version of your web site.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

That is interesting. Thanks.

10. CatfishRivers

I came across this web site (see link below) from my good old WebTV (MSNTV) days. It's a real "blast from the past" -:)

It has many links to mobilizers, mobile web sites, some cloud based internet tools, etc - (which are specifically supposed to improve the old WebTV experience). I find some of the sites/links mentioned are useful to me with Google TV. Some of the sites/tools mentioned work good with my Logitech Revue - while some others not so great - so some trial & error is required:

Mobile Viewers 4 Faster Surfing

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  11. frozengal

frozengal New Member

even i like them for book marking