Quantcast

Free Browsers for Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by BobinVA, Nov 21, 2011.

1. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I own an NSX-GT1 Google TV,24 inch.

I know the Chrome browser is "native" with my television and I recently downloaded the Droid Surfer from Android Market.

Droid seems to crash a lot,so I'm wondering if there are other free web browsers that are compatible with Google tvs.

Thanks!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

So far, nothing worth keeping installed in my opinion.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

This is a link (see below) for a mobile browser that's based in the cloud. Thus you don't have to download it.

Pros: Web pages load extremely fast, no ads and annoying pop-ups, no shockwave crashes.

Negatives: Web pages will look different than a 'regular' browser. Some people might not want that. However in my opinion pages are less cluttered.

Also you can't view videos through the Mowser browser. However if you scroll to the bottom of their mobilized pages there will be a link that allows you to view the 'regular' web page where the video is located. Thus videos can be viewed in that manner.

Mowser - Mobilizing the web

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Oh em gee. :)

How many times do I have to tell you those aren't sites are not web browsers. They are HTML transcoding services which takes a standard webpage and "mobilizes" it. A web browser is a software application use for retrieving, presenting, and traversing information resources on the World Wide Web. Therefore if you need an actual web browser to access the respective "web app" then the applet should not be classified as a browser. No matter what the marketing behind it says. lol

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. CatfishRivers

Yeah a "mobilizer" would be a better word for it. I know it's not a 'real' web browser in the traditional sense - however I wanted to mention it because the original poster mentioned that the droid browser crashes a lot. And a lot of folks are always complaining about 'shockwave' crashes.

There will never be a shockwave crash with Mowser mobilizer. Because it doesn't render Flash.

The Mowser 'mobilizer' is a godsend IMO for reading things like online newspapers. I use it everyday -:)

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Hehe. I know exactly what you mean. I do most of my web reading on an iPad tablet which never supported Flash; ipso facto no Flash crashes. However, more to the point, the Safari Browser has a built-in option called, "Reader", which removes all the distracting ads and puts multiple page articles into a single uninterrupted page. It is probably the most useful tool in the Safari browser besides the URL bar.

7. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I found one!Maxthon now has a browser for tv. Seems to work ok.However,it's not an official Android Market app, (Google TV supplier) ,so download at your own risk.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You know what's funny? Maxthon is one if not only official sponser of these forums. Also, Google had obtained partial ownership of the Chinese/Israeli startup back in 2007. So, where did you get the APK for Maxthon, if you didn't get it from the Android Market?

9. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I went to the Maxthon website and brought up the "mobile" page. On that page,there was an ad for the "set top" (tv) version of Maxthon browser.

One can also click on the link from this page that advertises "fastest and smartest browser". That links directly to said
    Maxthon page.

10. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I wish there was a firefox browser for GTV. There is a mobile version but I'd like for them to port the PC version.

11. CatfishRivers

Yep - here's the link to the Maxon mobile page - where the ad can be seen for their free set-top box (TV) browser:

Maxthon for Android Phones | Maxthon

I'm on the Revue 2.1 update so I can't try it out now. Does it seem faster than Chrome?

12. swould333

swould333 Member

I got Dolphin HD side loaded and running on the Revue with 3.1. trick is when it kick up the message saying that the app doesn't support the orientation.. swipe the back a forth on the touch pad.. the message will go away for a sec giving you opportunity to hit the button to proceed with the Dolphin set up.. just remember to change the default orientation to landscape in the settings before you close it or you'll have to play defeat the "error message" again...

the only caveat is there is no flash support...

• Like Like x 2
  13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, there are actually quite a few apps that I have side loaded and removed because of that. That gives me hope to reinstall them again to try them out.

14. swould333

swould333 Member

Your welcome... noticed on a few apps.. but SO FAR dolphin's the only one that has had a interacttion but that i could get to in time.. lol... please by all means try on and let us know of any sucess...

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

indubitably

16. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  17. futuregerald

futuregerald New Member

I'm an android guy and dolphin is a great browser on phones and tablets, so is opera mobile(mini is mostly for low end devices). If I could get opera mobile running I'd be ecstatic.

18. CatfishRivers

I tried the Maxthon Browser and YouTube videos don't work with it.

There is sound only (no video) in the Maxthon mobile vesrsion of YouTube. Next (using the Maxthon browser on YouTube) - I clicked where it said "desktop version". Then it said I don't have the proper Flash version installed. I was unable to install any Flash on my Revue from the Maxthon browser.

IMO using a HTML transcoder such as Mowser.com is simpler and faster for things such as online newspapers and websites (without videos) - plus with the limited space available for apps on the Revue - using a HTML transcoder saves some space by not having to install a mobile web browser. I uninstalled the Maxthon browser.

I'm finding Chrome on the 3.1 update to be a bit snappier and more stable then the previous version.

Still when all I want to do is read online newspapers (with super fast loading and no ads) - IMO Mowser and Skweezer can't be beat.

However for videos on YouTube (and most sites) the Chrome browser that comes with GTV appears to be the best alternative thus far.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  19. entertailion

entertailion New Member

Unfortunate that extensions are disabled for Chrome on Google TV.

20. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

swipe trick worked to get dolphin to install.. thanks

was trying to work swipe trick on pogoplug sideloaded ( because of the portrait not supported nag ) and figured out it was never the finger swipe to clear the nag and continue to log in.
    rather it was thumb accidentally pressing esc key while i practiced swipe that worked . just a fyi about portrait mode nag forcing app closure . give escape key a try ....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011