Quantcast

Fox.com no longer supporting google tv?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by pcandroid, Nov 12, 2010.

1. pcandroid

pcandroid New Member

Just tried to get onto fox.com to watch an episode of House but it said my device is not currently supported. Anyone else having similar issues?

2. Karen

Karen New Member

3. testman

testman New Member

IHMO they just filter according to the User-Agent. Anybody to write a patch and allow people to set their own user agent ?

FYI, whatever technique they write, we can workaround with code. There is no viable way to make sure a user is on a given platform and filter it (no script or specific dom call can also be workaround).

The US network run-away race is void and stubid. Those guys are getting more viewers, isn't that the purpose of TV networks ? Get more viewers to get more money from the ads ? If I was one of the Fox shareholder, I would be puzzeled as this is a lost of potential gain IMHO.

4. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

The User agent can already be changed, what I have heard are most of these blocks are based off the information the flash plugin relays. Once Google TV becomes as open as Android we might be able to write a patch, but not just yet.

5. macguy90

macguy90 New Member

I bought my Google TV last week and absolutely love it- but I do wish these networks would forget about their legal/financial obligations so we could watch videos on their sites :p

6. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

I agree, we are still watching the Network TV Broadcasts on the Network Sites, with all the advertisement the networks want us to see. I think this is just garbage of the networks, thinking Google TV is stealing content, that they offer freely on a PC or Mac. Google TV should not be looked at as anything other then a computer hooked up to a TV set, which gives us a more fluent interface.

7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Still, Google has an 'angle' on this..it's not about selling us these widgets, Jim...they want control over the content to exploit it, just like the networks themselves. Personally, I have no dog in the fight, but it needs to be viewed with open eyes. :)

8. superfo

superfo New Member

Yes, Google steal contend and make money from ads in its browser while we are searching. That's is why the network TV don't want you to watch it on Google TV.

9. calemr

calemr New Member

If you go directly to the broadcast companies URL how does google make money off of that, and how is that different on Google TV vs My home PC??

10. superfo

superfo New Member

Normally people don't go directly to the broadcast companies URL, they search for the show or movie that they want to watch on google tv browser and google put ads in the searching result, same as you search on home pc.

The difference between google tv and home pc is "convenience", people cannot watch 1'-2' far away from a small pc monitor for a long time. So not many people watch show on home pc and it's not easy (for general people) to connect pc to big screen tv.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010