Quantcast

Forum Statistics/Latest Member

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by guest, Mar 14, 2015.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Every day, it seems, someone (1 or 2) go to the trouble of registering on this forum. If someone were to check, they would probably find NOT A One (!) has posted a question or comment in the past 90 days.

Imagine a forum where every day at least one person registers. After three months, that's ninety people. Now imagine that at the end of those ninety days, only three people had a question or comment! I would say that is pretty suspicious.

If you are having a problem with your Google TV, you register and ask question. For what reason would somebody set up a username and password when it is not required for read-only access to the site???

It's as if someone is trying to artificially boost the membership of this website. Like some products sold on Amazon that get high amounts of five-star ratings, and when you check the reviewers, you find they all registered on Amazon the day before! Or this one review is the only review they've ever posted.

I've even heard that you can "purchase" Twitter followers! (The minimum is 5,000.) A lot of calories are expended on the internet engaging in deception.

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

Some may register to get an e-mail alert for new posts on various thread subjects.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't recall if searches work well here without being a member. I know I have set up memberships at several forums simply because I needed information and couldn't find it without being a member. As far as not asking a question, if a search provides the needed answer, no reason to ask the question again. Dryer repair, pet problems, auto repair, and things of that nature have caused me to do that, once I have the answer, I don't go back. Someone with a question about Google TV can often find the answer here, no question will be necessary. Other than Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV, there isn't a great deal of interest in any products being discussed here at this time, the forum is in a holding pattern waiting for the launch of a couple of Android TV boxes.

I think the official Android TV will attract new members with questions if that platform actually gets off the ground. So far, nothing much is going on with Android TV, the no name Chinese Android mini PCs are selling more than the approved products. Those unofficial products are discussed here to some extent but anybody coming here for help probably realizes quickly this isn't the best place, maybe right after registering. The device was purchased, thinking it was Android TV or Google TV since that is what it is often called by the company or person selling it. Mine boots up to a Google TV logo, similar to the real Google TV logo.

I can't think of any benefit to having fake members registered, nothing suspicious, no conspiracy is likely in my opinion.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Also someone might register to PM a question to a member, but a fair number of the new registrations may be spammers and spambots.