Quantcast

Force Close on Home app (startup)

Discussion in 'Hisense Pulse' started by vkelman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. vkelman

vkelman New Member

Suddenly - without any apparent reason - my Hisense Pulse started to display Force Close dialog on Home screen. Clicking OK just opens the same modal dialog again and again. I can quickly hit Netflix, or YouTube, or LiveTV buttons - corresponding apps are working fine. But closing them returns to Home screen - to the same modal Force Close dialog. No way to go to Settings screen to try to clean data, etc.

I suppose the only possibility other than returning device for a warranty replacement is to do a full hardware reset. But I don't understand how to press reset button. I tried to insert a pin inside and press - nothing happens.

I hate this device. It's not only absolutely not consumer ready, it's hardly qualifies as a beta, I'd say - alpha version.

http://goo.gl/53VVk
    http://goo.gl/cA9L4

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hopefully somebody successfully operating the Hisense Pulse will have some help. I don't own that model. I need optical audio out and two USB ports, but I do own 3 different models and I see the same comments about the models I do own blaming the devices, not ready for release, beta or alpha product, blah, blah, blah. I can operate all three without serious issues and I am certain I could operate the Hisense Pulse without serious issues.

A big problem with Google TV as it is now, just using it, not managing its limited resources carefully, will result in cluttered RAM, slow operation and crashes. I understand people just want to do whatever they want and not be concerned about that, this device at this time isn't the device to be used in that manner. This is a $100 computer like appliance, not a powerful computer at several times the price. I am not sure what you mean by startup when this error happens, if you have the Google TV off except when you sit down to use it, I would say leave it on all the time, don't be starting it up each time you use it. If you just mean as part of ordinary use you are hitting the Home button, I do that often as well and only rarely see this happen, but it does happen once in a while to me. I just force close and make sure RAM and cache are optimal and go about my business. If I see it as often as once a week with each device, I would be surprised but I don't keep track.

I rarely even turn on a computer or tablet when I am home, I use Google TV for email, web browsing, internet purchases, internet TV, forum participation, control of TiVo when viewing OTA, and so much more. I am not sure what your needs are but if ease of use and simple, stable operation is most important, I think Roku or Apple TV are the best options right now. Neither does much compared to Google TV but if the things those devices do are the things you want, very limited, and incapable of much will be fine. I also own Roku, although there is a lot in common with Google TV, both do many of the same things, Roku does access a couple of streaming services not yet available to Google TV and among most of the services both access, Roku does it better or easier. Google TV does a long list of things not possible with Roku, including accessing sites requiring a web browser.

As far as the simple things I do to keep my Google TV boxes running without serious issues, run Smart RAM Booster, a free app, set it to automatically run when RAM is 190MB and I use it to clean cache, a manual operation. I am also careful not to have several apps running simultaneously and not have several web pages open simultaneously except in rare cases when I need two or three but before starting to stream anything, all other applications and all other web pages will be closed.

If you want to return the device, I understand.

3. vkelman

vkelman New Member

ChrisG8,

I'm a computer programmer with 20 years of experience and I'm using various Android devices since a very first phone. So, I'm probably competent enough to resolve any issues, sooner or later. But this device - and Google TV platform as a whole is absolutely unready for a regular consumer, who is supposed just to buy a device and use it, not spend valuable time searching on forums. Google TV's version of Android is extremely buggy, unstable, limited, user-unfriendly. That leads to endless issues with GTV devices. Even Android Dev Phone 1 was more consumer ready than Logitech Revue or Hisense Pulse.
    It's a matter of preference, but to me GTV is not a convenient tool for "email, web browsing, internet purchases, ... forum participation". My Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7 tablet certainly are great, replacing many needs of a regular PC. These devices are polished, stable, consumer-ready.
    I had Roku in the past. Sold it, because I was interested in a new paradigm of GoogleTV, merging TV and Internet, etc., etc. Roku is good enough in that very limited range of operations it allows.

Now, back to Pulse issue I got. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but since yesterday it produces Force Closes on launcher app (Home). There is no way to perform any maintenance, because hitting "OK" immediately displays next Force Close dialog. No way to go to Settings and to try to clear data/cache or even to perform factory reset. At the same time, immediately hitting Netflix, YouTube, etc. buttons after closing Force Close dialog on launcher app allows to start Netflix, YouTube, etc. They run just fine. Unfortunately, unlike Android phones, GTV does not allow to switch directly from a running app to system settings screen. Closing Netflix returns focus to Home - with an immediate crash (Force Close).

Apparently, the only thing which could help is a hardware initiated factory reset. But I don't understand how to push that reset button. Inserting a pin inside "reset" hole and pushing doesn't seem to do anything.

4. ChrisG8

I am not a computer programmer I only use one other Android device, the HP TouchPad running CM9. I think it is very unlikely your Pulse is defective, the factory reset button with the devices I use must be pushed and held, maybe 10 seconds or so, not sure about the Pulse since I don't own one.

Most of my response was to your nonsense claim of alpha product, blah, blah, blah. I say hogwash, I have been using Google TV for over a year and a half and can get it to do the things I want, maybe you can't. We do agree on Roku, it handles its limited focus well. Certainly I hope Google TV continues to evolve and improve, it certainly has in its two and a half year existence. The Pulse is do for an update soon, not sure when it will start rolling out but a couple other Google TV devices already have the new version.

5. ChrisG8

I do recall having to do a factory reset after trying to side load a couple of apps I saw recommended. My Logitech Revue was unusable for the few minutes after that until I did that. If you are trying to run any apps not intended for Google TV, that might be something to look at. None of mine run any apps not available to Google TV through the Play Store or Amazon App Store.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

1) First try rebooting by unplugging your Hisense Pulse.

2) If that doesn't work take a paperclip and long press (press and hold) the reset button for approximately 40 seconds.