Quantcast

Fling? Whats this I hear about Flinging?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Netastophales, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

So I read somewhere that I should be able to have something on my Droid phone, (A picture, or a MMS message, or a song) and be able to just "Fling it" to my Google Tv (GTV). Is that coming, or am I missing something, or am I just dreaming of awesomeness?

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I've heard those rumors as well.
    I'm not certain about that whole Fling thing.
    The only thing I come up with, which I know there is probably more to it though, was this...

Ten One Design

3. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I found the source...... (The Official Google TV Blog: What's new with Google TV?)

"... go from small screen to big screen by sharing videos and websites directly from your phone to your TV"

In the post there is a link to the Google remote app You Tube video. In THAT there is an option to "share" an object with "Google TV Remote" (57 seconds into the video) of course... mine does not show that option in share. Perhaps its an "Upcoming feature".

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Oh, that.
    I thought you meant something totally different
    My fault in reading your post wrong...
    I check into that, to what I can come up with..
    It's sotra like the harmony remote app, in a way..

5. inspktr

inspktr New Member

It works with youtube.

6. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

well, atleast that is a step in the right direction. It works in the browser too. So far not in Gallery for pictures and video.... which would be awesome.

7. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

It currently has the ability when using an Android Device to "fling" via share a URL from the android browser, or via share from youTube's android application. This is grossly mis-confused with iOS' air-play which it was originally compared to prior to either being released. I wish it would allow for pictures, video, and music (even just DRM free .mp3s) living on my Android phone.

8. joeydrunk1

joeydrunk1 New Member

Guys, to do this you can use the Android harmony remote or the Android Google remote, its pret5y cool, just go to any website, push and hold on your screen on your phone and a menu will POP up, next scroll down to share, next scroll down to either harmony app or Google tv app and touch I. That's it. Whatever was on your phone will be flung to your tv!!

9. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I guess I was hoping for something more dramatic. I want it to work like this:
    Pull up a website, picture whatever, and put my finger on the screen and swipe it quickly to the edge of the screen, and it animates the screen being torn from the phone and the tv shows it instantly. I guess the media make me spoiled. last time I saw this was on Human Target. Hollywood has it right there.

10. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

Sigh, as an I-phone user, I must continue to languish under the weight of false advertising. All the media says Android AND IPHONE apps in the present tense but we all know there is nothing that work for the i-phone yet. Point is Netastophales, be happy you have even the less dramatic functionality. Us Sony owning I-phone users don't even have an app for our phones yet.

11. onemorecast

onemorecast New Member

that worked. i don't see the point of flinging web pages when i can just use the browser with the revue. i cant get the logitech media player to recognize my droid x. i would like to be able to use the dlna feature but cant seem to get it to work.