Quantcast

Flashing US Firmware

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by mjeshurun, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mjeshurun

mjeshurun New Member

Is there a way I can flash the US NSZ-GS7 Firmware instead of my european version?

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

What do you want to gain

3. mjeshurun

mjeshurun New Member

I want to have an option to use apps like Netflix and Pandora that usually come pre-installed.

4. lubras

lubras New Member

The playback of US-only apps has nothing to do with the firmware.

If you want the applications installed, you can simply side-load them. However they still won't play. What you need is a tunnel (VPN) created to US so that all of these providers think you are located in US (you would get US IP address assigned). Then the Pandora, Netflix and a-like will play the content. I am using this set-up from Canada.

L.

• Like Like x 2
  5. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

If you want to side-load them how would you get the apps in the first place? Google's Play store won't let you download them.

philip

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try searching online for the APK downloads. There are forums, repositories, and alternate app stores with the APK so you can directly download them to your GTV device. And then install them with ES File Explorer. Here is a good place to get started:

Top 15 Android Market Alternatives Where You Can Find The Best Apps for the LG Optimus V and the Motorola Triumph

and also:

http://www.androiddrawer.com/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. lubras

lubras New Member

There is several ways to side-load apps.

My first place to look for the APKs is the XDA Developers forum. There is a lots of resources there and on many occasions people ask for APK and other people upload them.

Second - you can just google the name of APK and there is several websites that store APKs.

These two can be somewhat dangerous, because you never know if someone didn't change the APK (which is fairly easy to do) and created malicious app out of it.

Probably the safest way to get APKs however is to have a rooted tablet/phone (I would recommend Tablet running Android 3.2 - HC), install the app on it and copy it yourself from the tablet to Google TV. This works the best for me. This however won't work if the application you are looking for is only locked to Google TV devices.

Also maybe, just maybe, if you ask nicely, someone here will be able to find what you are looking for.

PS: Please don't ask for paid apps, as a general statement - people are not going to provide it to you!

lubras

8. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

@lubras

Thanks for the advice. I was a bit nervous getting the apk from just anywhere. It's a free one for Amazon Instant Video - for Google TV. Unfortunately my 2 Sonys are the only Android devices I currently own. I was hoping to avoid having to flash them with US firmware. It would be great if someone had the apk !

philip

9. lubras

lubras New Member

Hi Philip,

I looked into the Amazon Video App. Unfortunately I don't have it since as you mentioned I don't have US firmware (located in Canada). However it seems like this app is not on US firmware either. When I log on to the Play store with US IP I can find the app but it tells me that this app is not available for my device. When I looked into it a little more I found people saying that that app is only available for single Google TV device - I believe it was Revue which already had Google TV v3 update (that could be a culprit, we should be getting v3 soon, I believe). So if nobody really has it except the specific device users and if this device has not been rooted, there is no way of extracting it. And even if you did download it from somewhere, it's not guaranteed (actually it's unlikely) that it will work on Sony devices.

So having said that, even if it was available for our devices, I don't think the Sony Google TV devices have been publicly rooted (I've seen some claims but no procedure). This means again, there is no way of extracting it. Sorry for the bad news. Now the good news is, that I understand that Amazon Movies can be watched from browser. I am not Amazon user so I can't confirm that.

Hopefully I helped.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I don't have much experience with Google TV but I have plenty of experience with other android devices, including rooting.

Lubras

• Like Like x 4