Quantcast

flashing screen when using cable box and receiver with NS7

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by dhufstader, Jul 19, 2012.

1. dhufstader

dhufstader New Member

not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes..

I have my new NS7. (replacing a fried Revue)
    if I connect my timewarner digital box(motorola DCH6200) to it and then to the TV (insignia LCD), it works.
    if I try to run it through my receiver (samsung ht bd3252t) the TV picture cuts in and out
    if I connect any other source to the NS7 (xbox, asus o!play, etc) it works. I get solid video, etc

i only have a problem when I connect the digital cable box to it and it's going through the receiver.
    I kinda need the receiver for sound

all connections are using HDMI cables.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  3. dhufstader

dhufstader New Member

I have found a couple other threads with similar issues, the cable box seems to think it's running through a repeater, but so far none of the suggested fixes changed anything.

4. dhufstader

dhufstader New Member

yeah, I am thinking the same thing.. not sure if I can get a different model box around here though.

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Try this,

• On the AVR side:
    Setup > Display > TV Aspect: 16:9 Normal
    Setup > Display > Resolution: 720p (or 1080i)
    Setup > HDMI > Anynet+(HDMI-CEC): Off
    Setup > HDMI > HDMI Format: TV
    Setup > HDMI > HDMI Audio: Off ........ (for sound from AVR speakers)

• On the Moto STB side:
    Access the system-menu > while the STB is "On" press [Power/Off] then [Menu] button on the remote or the box front-panel and change the follow:
    TV Type: 16:9
    HDMI/YPbPr Output: 720p (or 1080i)
    Scroll down the list and select <<< Additional HDMI settings >>> & set Audio: Pass-thru - (for more stb/audio/info click here)

To exit the menu & save the changes > press [Menu] or [Power].
    I suggest you write down all the setting before making any changes & avoid making changes to any other settings you're not sure about.
    Btw, if you get a chance swap it for model {DCX .....P} - it supports Native resolution & 1080p24.

You could also try this,
    While the stb is "On" unplug & re-plug each end of the HDMI cable (in/out) connected to the gtv-box - or - perform these steps & this
    or try it w/ a different TV.

Good luck

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  6. dhufstader

dhufstader New Member

I contacted time warner, and they said they had several other boxes besides motorola that didn't have the 2 device limitation, and said I could go swap boxes..
    went to the local office, and apparently the area I am in only works with motorola :-(
    I tried explaining to the person that this wasn't acceptable and they just couldn't grasp what I was talking about and insisted I would be all set using component cables... which doesn't work. seeing as the NS7 doesn't have component out.
    I did get a newer box, a DCX3200, which is a lot smaller than the other one, but it has the same limitation.

I did notice that when I first connected everything, before actually connecting the cable to the cable box... it worked. no green screens. it wasn't until after it received programming from TW that the copy protection kicked in.

so my solution for now is to get a new TV (my current one only has 1 working HDMI input thanks to a freak power surge)
    I will run the cable box, through the NS7, to the TV, and then use fiber optic for the audio from the NS7 to my AVR

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I saw these other alternatives posted in one of the threads:

"You can use a Component (YPbPr) & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter between the cable box and the Revue to avoid any HDCP or HDMI protocol issues stemming from your set-top box.

Finally, he can avoid the issue all together by swapping the cable box with CableCards and getting a Tivo Premiere. This is my preferred method since one can also save money from any leasing or rental fees for the cable box from their provider. In my case, I was wasting $227.76 per year on DVR and converter box fees alone. After a period of five years and $1,138.80 later, I could have had either purchased either two Tivo Premieres with Lifetime subscriptions or a single Tivo Premiere XL with Lifetime. This ultimately avoids any impositions that the cable company may enforce on the way I hook up my own AV equipment with their service."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: OK I was doing some more research and apparently the new Sony box has a problem with full integration with Tivo. It was mentioned in this thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-help/5674-sony-nsz-gs7-ir-blaster-tivo.html

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Moto "DCX3200" or "DCH6200" should work fine via AVR (no limitation w/3 hdmi in chain - stb>gtv>avr>tv).

The HDCP issue seems from either the HDMI cable or the insignia TV (or both).

Btw, since you've got the "DCX3200" set it to native resolution (for better PQ).
    HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT: NATIVE
    << Additional HDMI settings >>
    HDMI/DVI MODE: HDMI
    AUDIO OUTPUT: Pass-thru

Access the system-menu > while the STB is "On", press [Power/Off] then [Menu] button on the remote or the box front-panel - To exit the menu & save the changes > press [Menu] or [Power].

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  9. dhufstader

dhufstader New Member

then why does everyone else state that the motorolas are limited to 2 devices? including TW?
    if it were cables or TV, then why can I connect any other source inline and it works fine ( XXX-GTV-AVR-TV) where XXX is my PS3, xbox or asus o!play

search this forum for DCX3200 ( can't post links yet)

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Here is a link for Moto DCX-3400M > Sony GTV > Denon AVR > Sony TV - no HDCP issues.

So, Give my above suggestions a try,
    • Turn Off & unplug all devices - perform these steps.
    • Change "DCX3200" resolution to "NATIVE" - see this link.
    • Change HDMI cables.
    • Turn "OFF" power to any unused connected devices (to the AVR/TV) - especially before switching HDMI-input - see this link.
    (temporarily) Disable [Control for HDMI] - see this link.
    • if not - (temporarily) try to set STB & GTV box to 720p (or1080i).
    • Try it w/ a different TV.

Good luck.

btw, old threads mention no Provision# or Firmware updates.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012