Quantcast

Flash Quietly Re-Emerges On Amazon's Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 9, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Flash quietly re-emerges on Amazon's Kindle Fire | Mobile - CNET News (via Mowser) (click for full article)

by Don Reisinger - July 9, 2013

Summary:
    The ousted technology has been tested since February by Amazon to see if it makes sense to bring it back.

-- "Flash might be all but dead in the mobile space, but Amazon is considering whether it's time to revive it.

Speaking to All Things Digital in an interview published on Tuesday, Amazon's Kurt Kufeld confirmed that his company has been quietly testing Flash support with Kindle Fire owners since February. The effort was offered under the guise of an "experimental streaming viewer" when users would watch Flash video on certain popular sites such as Fox.com, CBS.com, and NBC.com.

According to Amazon, the technology relies partly on the Silk browser running on Amazon's Kindle Fire, as well as the company's cloud-based technologies. Kufeld told All Things Digital that it's part of a broader effort on Amazon's part to "solve customer frustrations."

"One we heard often from customers was that they wanted to view Flash content," he said.

Flash was once a dominant force in online video and gaming. But after Apple launched its line of iDevices and left Flash out, slowly but surely, the technology started to give way. Even Adobe, which supported native Flash support on Android devices, ditched the technology a couple of years ago. Still, Flash lives on across the Web, and some people still want to access it from mobile devices.

Looking ahead, Amazon plans to continue to support Flash and expand the "experimental streaming viewer" to more sites. According to All Things Digital, in its first month of availability, Kindle Fire owners streamed 1.4 million minutes of Flash video."

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

Hmmm based on the article one could surmise that GTV is making a mistake and removing Flash too soon from GTV. The wants and needs of the customers should be the top priority for a consumer electronics device. At least Amazon seems to understand that.....

Flash aint dead yet folks......

From the article:

** Kufeld told All Things Digital that it's part of a broader effort on Amazon's part to "solve customer frustrations."

"One we heard often from customers was that they wanted to view Flash content," he said. **

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

4. CatfishRivers

There is currently a Flash workaround for android Jellybean called the "Puffin Browser". The Puffin Browser Flash solution seems kind of similar to what Amazon is doing with the Silk browser and their cloud technology. The Puffin Flash solution also utilizes cloud technology.

The big question is if the Puffin browser Flash workaround will work on GTV Jellybean OS.

Here is the link to the Puffin browser web site:

Puffin Web Browser - The fastest mobile browswer with Flash support over cloud on iPad, iPhone and Android.

From the Puffin Web Browser site:

"The most complete desktop experience

Adobe Flash Support and Full
    Web Page Display

People say that mobile devices can't handle the burden of Flash content and can't display desktop version websites properly, but we say otherwise. Puffin Browser presents you the remote Flash execution technology that you can watch videos, play games, and tap into an endless sea of Flash content, all by running Flash on cloud."

*Note: I noticed that the free version of the Puffin web browser has a very good rating of 4.4 stars in the Google Play Store. I believe the free version has Flash for a few weeks - and then the paid version for unlimited Flash access is required which costs $2.99

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course this is an Amazon business decision, intended to give a competitive advantage against Google and Apple but I think Google and Apple have it right. The sooner Flash is a thing of the past, the better off we are going to be and the best and quickest way is if devices and services quit using Flash, Amazon's move won't help the process along but hopefully won't extend it too long.

6. CatfishRivers

I agree that the sooner Flash is a thing of the past the better - but IMO the point is that currently Flash is still firmly entrenched all over the internet. Because GTV has a lack of available apps - a big part of filling in the gaps was the Chrome browser - and most all of the content from Chrome still uses Flash. Maybe 2 years from now it would be prudent to remove Flash from GTV - but IMO it's still way too soon.

If app developers don't embrace GTV in a meaningful way after the Jellybean update - then without Flash in the browser all that will be left is the sound of crickets.

And the GTV user base is still small - so it is very questionable if we will see a plethora of apps soon after the Jellybean update. Currently GTV doesn't have much "clout" - as services such as ESPN3 and HBOGO claim they don't even "support" GTV. The only way to get content from them (and sites like them) is from a browser running Flash.

If ESPN3 quits working after the Jellybean update I'm sorry to say that might mean the end for GTV.

7. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I'm looking to move on already. What was a fantastic opportunity is now a let down. Unless I can get what I want with a streamer/browser, I'm off.

If someone asked me would I recommend GTV. possibly but my hearts not in it!