Quantcast

Flash Question

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by SOH, May 15, 2013.

1. SOH

SOH New Member

Hi, I have a Co-Star I bought about a month ago, fully updated to the latest update, etc. I'm trying to use the NBC Sports stream on the Google browser. This is Flash-based and I need to allow Flash for it to run. On my laptop, I can just click the little "Allow" button. I don't see the button on my Co-Star's browser, and as a result the stream doesn't load. Can anyone please help?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The regular NBC.com web site blocks GTV. But I believe NBC Sports will work on your Co-Star by changing the user agent to "generic". NBC Sports works like a charm on my Logitech Revue this way.

Go to Chrome settings --->Advanced Settings ----> Under The Hood -----> then scroll down and you will see where to check the "generic" user agent setting.

3. SOH

SOH New Member

Tried that, still won't load.

4. CatfishRivers

OK are you talking about the "Live Extra" live streaming events? Those require authentication of a pay TV subscription so I can't test that. I tested several videos and those all worked.

5. SOH

SOH New Member

Yeah. I have a subcription that works perfect on my laptop. It shows a scrolling wheel for a second, then starts buffering and views. The Co-Star wheel just keeps scrolling and scrolling.

6. CatfishRivers

Well GTV has Flash 10.2 and there is no way to update it on our own. I'm not sure if those live streams require Flash 11 or if some other glitch is involved. A couple of things you can try is entering the following custom user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1309.0 Safari/537.17

This fix works for some other sites (but NBC Sports wasn't specifically mentioned). It was discussed in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/7722-webpage-has-redirect-loop.html

Also you can try going to the Adobe Flash settings -->then Global Storage Settings Panel ---> and unchecking where it says "store common Flash components to reduce download times". I was able to get the NFL Rewind Flash plug-in to work on my Revue by doing that.

And make sure that from the Adobe Flash Global Storage Settings Panel you check mark where it says " Allow Third Party Flash Content To Store Data On Your Computer".

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. SOH

SOH New Member

Is that loop the entire string, or whatever number corresponds to whatever browser you're trying to use? Thanks.

8. CatfishRivers

Yes that is the entire string. You go to settings and enter that string in the custom user agent field. After you enter the custom user agent string - you are supposed to "restart" (reboot) your GTV device for it to fully take effect.

9. SOH

SOH New Member

Still didn't work. Crap. Guess I have to wait for a Flash update, if one ever comes.

10. CatfishRivers

11. SOH

SOH New Member

So if they don't, any website with a Flash player will be completely useless now?

12. CatfishRivers

Yes. But there are apps based on Adobe Air and Adobe Primtetime that GTV can utilize (provided that developers make the apps for GTV). And YouTube will be HTML5 with their new VP9 codec (which I expect the new updated GTV Chrome browser to support). But yes after the update the GTV browser won't support Flash streaming from web sites.....

More and more web sites will be utilizing HTML5 streaming. It's just a question of how soon.