Quantcast

Flash player 11.4 and amazon instant video player

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by Btwilson, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Btwilson

Btwilson New Member

I haven't used google tv for awhile. When went in this time I downloaded an upgrade which apparently changed my flash player from 10.5 to 11.4. As a result I can no longer use amazon's instant video movie player because it is incompatible with the new version of flashplayer. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You can't change the Google TV Adobe Flash Player, it is at 10.2 and updating the Adobe Flash Player requires an update to the Google TV operating system. I have no idea why you can't play Amazon Instant Video, what happens when you try?

3. Btwilson

Btwilson New Member

On the amazon instant video screen which has the window on the right of the screen which shows the price of the movie for renting or buying and which takes you to the player nothing works. Press any of the choices and nothing happens. This always worked until in the middle of a movie the player screen went black last Saturday. Since then I can't get into the player, even with google support help. That is who told me about the flash player update and resulting incompatibility. They said they would call me back that day with more info but I haven't from them yet.

4. ChrisG8

What Google TV device do you have? If you really have Google TV and it is updated to the latest version, all models use Flash ver. 10.2.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the "Amazon Unbox Video Player" which works with a Windows PC? (this is for playing downloads of purchases).

Amazon.com Help: About the Amazon Unbox Video Player

According to the Amazon help page GTV devices are supported for streaming videos:

Amazon.com Help: Amazon Instant Video Device Features

And also according to the Amazon help section streaming videos works with Flash 10.2 (GTV has Flash 10.2):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201112530

I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime but I just streamed a free video on Amazon with my Logitech Revue and it worked fine.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  6. ChrisG8

I am not sure the OP has a Google TV device.

7. Btwilson

Btwilson New Member

I have the first generation logitec revue box and keyboard connected to a samsung tv that also has directv. I am still unable to play any movies on amazon instant video.

8. ChrisG8

You should be able to play standard definition movies but not HD movies. Are you trying to play the Amazon Prime movies or PPV movies or movies you own? Do you have Amazon Prime?

9. pilgrim

pilgrim New Member

I have a first generation sony bluray player with google tv. I have always been able to steaming Amazon Prime video, even HD content. About 3 weeks ago something changed and I am no longer able to view any Amazon video content. The player loads and the video buffers and then nothing. My guess is the issue is on the Amazon end. I know Amazon requires Google TV devices to be registered now, but this function is not available on the older models which have not received the Amazon Instant Video App.

10. ChrisG8

HD movies have never played with the first generation Google TV devices. I just went to Amazon Instant Video with a Sony NSZ-GT1 and played an HD TV episode I own, Being Human, it plays fine now. SD movies and SD and HD TV shows should still play fine with Google TV first gen.

Do you have your browser set to generic? If so, switch to the default browser and try again.

11. pilgrim

pilgrim New Member

Thanks, I don't remember every changing my setting to generic, but under default the Amazon video now works.

12. bombaman

bombaman New Member

I have a similar problem...maybe.
    I use my costar to play movies purchased at amazon. Within the last couple months I've noticed that some of the new movies won't play. (Django\Hobbit both HD) It seems to lock up the player or maybe more specifically the app.

Amazon provided the following...no idea if its correct...
    > I'm sorry that some of your movies aren't regularly playing on your Vizio
    > Costar device.
    >
    > While this is defiantly not a common issue, it is something that we have
    > become aware of with some of the newer titles on certain devices.
    >
    > Whats happening is that some of the newer titles are using a new class of
    > DRM (Digital Rights Management) which tends to be a bit of a larger file,
    > and when this is combined with HD movies that are longer than two and a
    > half hours can overload the on-board flash memory of some of the streaming
    > devices causing them to fail to load the title.
    >
    > We are in the process of working with the studios to try and get a more
    > compacted DRM file, or use an older DRM type.
    >
    > I have added your response to our records in the hopes that showing the
    > trouble this is causing customers might motivate the studios to move a
    > little faster.
    >
    > Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to
    > improve the experience of using our digital video service. I've forwarded
    > your message to our Amazon Instant Video development team for consideration
    > as we make future improvements.
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We look forward to
    > seeing you again soon.
    > Best regards,
    > Michael P

13. ChrisG8

Bombaman, I will take Amazon at their word, it is a problem they are aware of and hopefully a solution will be found. Do you have another Amazon player to use to see if it can handle the problem movies without the issue? I have not noticed the issue but I rarely use Google TV to play Amazon Instant Video these days. I have the Hobbit Blu-ray with a UV copy that I haven't added to my Vudu account, I may just sell the UV, but if I don't, I can check it using a Sony NSZ-GS7 and Vudu.

14. bombaman

bombaman New Member

Yes I do. Xbox, Kindles play the movies fine. Never a problem on those. What Amazon describes certainly could be problematic. Good ole DRM...

15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Carlszone stated in another thread that he has spoken to Amazon customer service and that they told him they switched to Microsoft Silverlight. He then received an update to the Amazon App for his Sony NSZ-GS7 and now it works good. He also mentioned that Amazon videos weren't working on his Logitech Revue (that would be with GTV Chrome browser). Here is a link to that thread:

http://web-nuts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19742

* I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime - but I tried streaming some free videos from Amazon on my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1). Some of them worked while some never loaded. (I tried with user agent in "default" and "generic" - both ways results were similar).

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  16. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yes, the CSR did tell me that but it was BS!

Lol, probably a delaying tactic. The movies on the Logitech Revue are playing again. The HD movie should play also, but will be rendered in SD.