Quantcast

Fix for Inaccessible Play Store and RPC Errors (Usually After Hard Reset)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Patricki7, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Patricki7

Patricki7 New Member

So we all pretty much know about the YouTube API change earlier this year. I'm still trying to figure out an alternative to that problem. Google has also prevented the continued use of most Google TV boxes and televisions. If you do a quick search you will undoubtedly see how many people can no longer use their Google TV devices after a hard reset. I found myself here after performing a reset to try and get more performance out of my device.

It seems that Google has blocked the activation of authentication for devices using older API's. You may also receive an email from Google when trying to sign-in to a freshly reset device, asking whether or not you would allow the device to run.

Problem:

What is happening is since our machines use an older "outdated" API Google is blocking authentication to these devices. You will know because it will tell you your password is wrong even when it is right. You simply have to access the email and "allow less secure devices"

Then after you successfully log-in to your device, you will find that you will not be able to download any apps. You will get an error similar to:

"Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-5:XXXXXXXXX]"

"Google Talkback Authentication Error"​

Below is a fix for these issues, should work on any Google TV box running Android 3.2 Honeycomb (API 13).

Needed:
    • Google Play Services 6.1.07 (1443915-038)
    • Google Play Store 5.8.11
    I'm not sure if these files can be linked to on this forum, so the easiest thing to do is fire up Chrome on your Google TV device and search for these files.

Or Click on my dropbox link to get to the project folder.
    Google TV Longevity Dropbox

Steps:
    1. Download APKs
    2. Go to Settings > Manage Applications > Check "Allow Unknown Sources"
    3. Install APKs
    4. Remove your Google account from Device
    5. Reboot
    6. Go to the play store and Sign-In
    With these steps I have had an experience almost better than the original Play Store included with the 917 update. I hope you find this helpful.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Thanks, this should be helpful to many of us.

3. Patricki7

Patricki7 New Member

I just came up with a fix for YouTube. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

Remove any YouTube Apps you may have downloaded, then uninstall any updates to the factory YouTube App. Download this modified app from XDA. It is a modified 4.4.11 APK. Which gives us high-quality video. After installing it will come up to a mostly empty screen and tell you there is an update available. Click Install now, Then exit and go back to the YouTube App and you should be greeted with a fully functioning YouTube app.

Its not perfect, but it gives us back functionality for:

• Playlist
    • History
    • Seek through time
    • Pause and Play
    • Channels
    • regular use of arrow keys

[MOD] YouTube 4.4.11 (v5b), *1080p* / 720p H… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Thanks to theos0o on XDA.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SKRosen1

SKRosen1 New Member

Dear Patrick:

I can't thank you enough for this post. You have really done a great job figuring out these fixes. For the most part, it works, especially YouTube. By the way, which of the two files in your Dropbox folder do you recommend, the inverted file or the other?

However, I am still having a PlayStore issue. While I was able to log into my account successfully for the first time since I reset my device, and I am able to download apps by clicking on any icon shown on the app page, I am still unable to search for an app or pull up My Apps. In both cases it freezes. I also noticed that I no longer was receiving application update notifications on my home screen (there had been 8 failing updates before I downloaded this version of PlayStore), Any suggestions? I was wondering if the order in which they are installed might have an impact?

Thanks so much for your help,

5. Patricki7

Patricki7 New Member

I did notice that mine did something similar at first. The play store seems to freeze when searching or when loading "My Apps". However, this is not the case. I'm not really sure what it is doing, but I think it has something to do with rendering or cache.

You can temporarily fix this by sliding the left menu open, you'll see the page update in the background, then press back and you'll be at the normal page. I also, noticed it doing it when scrolling at first, then it went away and worked fine. What I usually do, is scroll up to show the 3-line menu button (Top Left), click the button, then go back once you see the page update.

I'll have to see if I can't find a better solution that doesn't do this. But for now its the best we have.

6. SKRosen1

SKRosen1 New Member

Dear Patrick:

Thanks for your quick reply. I did play with it some more this morning and did get it to link to my apps (although the play store app still acts sluggish and frozen as does the use of the whole sidebar) and miraculously I was allowed to update all 8 of the apps that were previously failing, even the old YouTube and Talkback. I don't know yet if YouTube still crashes with flash player errors as it used to, but I can apparently use either version. You never did say if there was a preferred link in your dropbox folder for the YouTube installation, since you showed two links. Which one would be better and why are there two? As an aside, when I had first searched for the Play Store and Play Services APK apps on Google, I saw notifications that each had more recently updated files available, but I chose to use the ones you specified in your dropbox. If there are more recent updates to the new play store app, then why isn't it automatically updating?

7. ntlatp

ntlatp New Member

Thank you so much Patrick! The file in your Dropbox worked perfectly, and I now have Youtube back! In fact, it's working better than before. Nice full screen and no commercials yet.

Thanks again!

8. Labats49er

Labats49er New Member

Hey this worked...all of my apps that were already downloaded,work again....everything updated.Even Google Play Music,is working had access to my MP3 Library! Downloaded one app,it worked! Thankful for what we do have though the Playstore...is as described.Well were further than we were which was nothing at all working.Thanks for the help.On the Sony 8 (last one they made).

9. fletch

fletch New Member

FWIW, I spent the last 6 hours reading the posts here and many in the G+ Google TV community, trying various suggestions. I was finally able to get mine working without having to install anything special.

Google TV Community - Community - Google+

A couple of posts mentioned an account setting to allow "less" secure apps to access your account. It seems that was the trick for me.

Sign in - Google Accounts - scroll to the bottom

Once I enabled that, I removed my account from the Sony Google TV box. Then I went into the running apps and cleared the data for the Google Play Store and I think the other was called Google Services Framework. Sorry for the generalizations - I can't find the original post that had these steps and it might have been a combination of posts. Rebooted the device

Following yet another tip I looked in notifications after startup and selected the Talkback authentication message. This prompted me for a password. I had been here before but not with the "less secure" feature enabled.

Initially I looked at the Play Store version and noted it was older than my other box. A message indicated 2 updates needed my approval. From that message I went into the Store and updated them. This time the updates downloaded and installed, no RPC error. Neither updates were the Play Store itself but shortly after that I noticed the menu was a bit different and looking at the version it had been updated.

Now when I look in the Google Play Store under Settings, the device appears along with my other devices. Then I installed all the updates that were available and all of the apps I had already installed on other boxes. Lastly I went back into my Google account and turned off the "less secure" feature.

My guess is that the version of Talkback (I think that's what it was called) used an API or "less secure" authentication mechanism that's no longer supported so you never get logged in. Once passed that hurdle, some automatic updates like the Google Play Store get installed and everything's working again.

10. ntlatp

ntlatp New Member

Agreed.

I believe the "allow unknown soucrces" option in the original post did the trick. From there, everything updates after removing account, reboot, and logging back in to Playstore.

I also noticed that Google released an update to Youtube for Google TV just today. I guess they got the message that people were ticked!

I downloaded that and it works well. It took a while to figure it out. The sign in is a pain. Also, once a video is playing I couldn't find a way to control it (pause, forward, etc.) as the buttons on the remote don't work and the slide bar with buttons doesn't show up when you click on the screen like in the traditional YT players. However, once the video is playing, you have to hit the space bar on the remote and the controls will come up on the screen.

11. fletch

fletch New Member

That's only required if you want to load special APK's that Patrick posted. I didn't need to do that to get around the RPC problem trying to update apps and I wasn't interested in the YouTube app patch since I'd since switched to TiVo for that.

12. Labats49er

Labats49er New Member

Re-downloaded the Playstore again....and now it works perfect,search too! Just like normal! The You-Tube app is A+....but going to try to remove and re-download again.Did not remove old,and also was not fast enough to click on update...as it disappeared.It's worth it to try it again.Thanks for fixing my device...on the Sony 8 (last one made).Was so angry that nothing was working no more....now it all works like a charm...thanks again.Tried what the other poster suggested...did not work for me,in fact I lost everything and decided to do the dropbox files again...works perfectly.

13. Patricki7

Patricki7 New Member

I'm glad this trick has worked for all of you. I'm glad to hear about the other solutions as well. As for anyone having the sluggish issues with the PlayStore, such as it appearing to freeze, I have reports that the PlayStore APK 4.6.16 works pretty well. Not entirely sure on compatibility yet.

@fletch

Heh, I'm pretty sure I'm the one who posted about less secure apps in that G+ community :p

14. fletch

fletch New Member

You may very well have been the one. I tried looking for it as a reference but after 6 hours I had lost track of all the search results I had gone through and on what medium they were posted :)

I had never looked that deep into my Google account settings so without that post I doubt I would have ever known to try that path. But it made sense that the old factory reset units used code that no longer fits with authentication used today.

15. sandersm

sandersm New Member

Thanks GTV works again!!!!

16. Reed

Reed New Member

Thanks its really helpfull its work

17. guest

guest Active Member

That link that you posted is full of spam. There are five places to click download. Most were to spam pages. The one that went directly to download couldn't be opened.

18. mikie00mike

mikie00mike New Member

Patrick YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! - The Play Store fix worked for me, but I am getting an error or "Sorry" box saying, "The process com.google.process.apps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Unfortunately, I am unable to try the Youtube fix. I download the apk, but am unable to open it. Get an error message saying "unable to open file" Note - I tried the inverted builds as well as three older builds and still get the same message.

If you or anyone has run into this problem and know a way around it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for everything. After searching online and trying many fixes that didn't work, yours worked perfectly. Now the play store works, I can download and update apps. The only other issue is the Amazon video app, says check your network settings and just gets stuck at the load screen. I did go to the amazon video settings page and removed all registered devices, but it still does not work. Again, if you or anyone knows a fix to try, that would be amazing. Thanks so much.

19. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Patrick7,
    Just stopping in to thank you personally for all your help as it really helped a person out in the Google+ Google TV Community.
    Thanks again!!!

20. Travel

Travel Active Member

Just go to this site and download the 4.4.11 and it'll be in your "notifications" on the Google TV home page.

Videos work perfectly. Hit down arrow for control bar. Hit the left arrow (give it a few seconds to load), and side scroll to the menu for your subscribed channels, etc. (the app syncs with your account, and your "already subscribed to" channels will be there).

Download YouTube 4.4.11 free .apk - ApkHere.com

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1