Quantcast

Five reasons to buy Google TV now

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by Rickaren, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Five reasons why you should buy the $99 Google TV

Aug. 1, 2011

[​IMG]
    Logitech dropped the price of its Revue Google TV set-top to $99 this weekend, down from $249, after consumers all but ignored the device for more than half a year. Some folks may see the price reduction as yet another indicator that Google TV failed, but I think that a $99 Google TV box deserves a second chance.

Here are five reasons that make the $99 Logitech Revue worth buying:

1. The browser. This one is a biggie. A browser on your TV changes everything. Yes, Google TV has been blocked by virtually all major broadcasters, so you won't be able to watch any videos from ABC.com or Hulu. However, you will find yourself in countless situations where current events and live concerts are streamed online, and most of them will be viewable just fine from your Google TV browser. Coachella? Check. NASA TV? Check. Professional video game players battling each other online? Check.

[​IMG]

I know, the skeptics out there will still say, "But I don't want to
    surf on my TV." The good news is: You don't have to, at least not in the traditional sense. There are now dozens of websites optimized for viewing on browser-based TV platforms. Check out some of them in
    Google TV's Spotlight Gallery. YouTube on TV alone is so much better than any of its previous iterations on connected devices.

2. The Android remote app. Google TV remote controls have been the subject of a lot of mockery. I actually like the Revue keyboard, but I have to admit it's not something I want to have on my lap all the time either. Luckily, there's a really good Android app to control your Revue available, which not only simplifies the experience, but even offers voice input. It's powered by Google's speech recognition technology, so searching for a TV show is as easy as getting directions while you drive.

[​IMG]

3. Honeycomb.
    I will admit, the current Google TV platform isn't much fun to use. It's overly complicated, giving you too many options to get to the stuff you really want. However, things are supposed to get much better
    with the platform's next iteration, which is based on Android 3.1, also known as Honeycomb. And the good news is: Logitech's Revue will support that version just fine, which may just make the Revue the most affordable hardware running Honeycomb, period.

4. The app store. Google TV currently doesn't have access to the Android Market, but this is expected to change later this summer when it gets that Honeycomb upgrade. Some developers are already busy putting together apps specifically for the Google TV, but countless others may just take what they have developed for Android handsets, tweak it a little and make it available to Google TV users as well. Some of that will undoubtedly be a UI nightmare; a TV screen simply isn't the same as a mobile phone.
    However, if you're an Android user, take good look at your handset. Maybe you're like me, and you have apps from some of your favorite radio stations on there. Wouldn't it be great to hear their music with the best speakers you have in your house? Or how about some of the casual games you have on your Android tablet: Woudn't you love to play them on a bigger screen? A few months from now, Google TV users will have access to more apps than on any other TV platform - and some of those apps will be worth the purchase of this device alone.

[​IMG]

The gateway used by Lighting Science to connect an Android tablet to mesh-networked LEDs.

5. Android @home. This could be the secret killer app of Google TV. Later this year, Google and some of its partners will start to sell a first round of home automation devices that directly interoperate with Android devices, making it possible to control them from any Android app. The very first devices to reach the market as part of this Android @home program will be LED light bulbs. Sounds boring, I know, but think about the possibilities. What if the Netflix app on your Google TV automatically dimmed the light once the movie started? What if Pandora could change the tone of the light based on the mood of the music?

There are of course still many reasons why someone wouldn't want to buy the Revue. For one, a device that may suck less with the next software update isn't really a good proposition for everyone. Also, future Google TV products from companies like Samsung and Vizio may just be better, making the Revue look outdated. Google TV also still doesn't have access to Hulu Plus, and the Revue is optimized for people who use cable. However, if you're currently in the market for a Boxee Box, an Apple TV or a Roku, do yourself a favor and take another look at the Revue. A few months from now, it may just feel like an incredible bargain.

SOURCE

2. Rickaren

Logitech Revue $99 From Today And Upgradable To Google TV V.2

08/01/2011
    The
    Logitech Revue price drop to $99 takes effect from today making Google TV a low priced way to get your TV connected to the web. But good news for buyers that spent between $249-$299 for the set-top box, it will be able to automatically update to Google TV v.2 this summer.[​IMG]

Dont write off Google TV just yet

In an email from Ty Sheppard of Logitech PR company RudderFinn, i was informed that the ” the device will be available for $99, starting on Sunday, July 31,” and to also, “stay tuned for the expected release of
    Version 2 of Google TV later this summer.”

In some good news for previous owners of the Revue, he said that an automatic update of the Google TV software will be made available as soon as it is released, saying, “When Google TV version 2 goes live, all new and existing Logitech Revue users will automatically receive the update, built on Android 3.1. Among other benefits, V2 will offer a simplified user experience and access to the Android Market.”

He also wanted to clear up a misconception by many that more
    Logitech Revue boxes were returned than got sold. He said, “Logitech’s Q1 financial results were reported last week, we stated that returns for Logitech Revue were greater than sales. Some people thought this meant that there were more consumers returning their Logitech Revue products in Q1 than were purchasing the product.”

He continued, “This is simply not the case. Remember that Logitech sells mostly to distributors and retailers, not consumers. Since we introduced Logitech Revue in October 2010, consumer returns for the product have averaged at levels comparable to other Logitech products.”

Read more internet tv news: Logitech Revue $99 From Today And Upgradable To Google TV V.2 Logitech Revue $99 From Today And Upgradable To Google TV V.2

3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

This remark in the writings makes me wonder some what though..

" Among other benefits, V2 will offer a simplified user experience and access to the Android Market."

Just wondering if it is a play on words or not...

4. Winkle

Winkle New Member

why get the Logitech>>
    whats the spec comparison to the sony TVs. im guessing the Sony's are better since they have to display a screen!

5. jerseyfirefighter

jerseyfirefighter New Member

Yeah but thats buying one particular tv as opposed to buying the tv you want and adapt it to your home theater display of choice. You shouldnt build your home theater around google tv..google tv should supplement your content.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tritran18518

tritran18518 New Member

i just bought one for $99. Nothing can't beat my Revue.

7. Xandor

Xandor New Member

Good luck finding one at Best Buy. It appears that either a) they are selling like hotcakes or b) they are being pulled from the shelves.

You could still buy from Best Buy.com (despite with the store clerks say - and who believes them 100% anyway), or from logitech.com.

Anyone else find them missing from Best Buy's shelves?

8. Winkle

Winkle New Member

Contradicting the purpose of an actual "GoogleTV".. but whateverz.. If I had money Id buy a large 50+ with a revenue prolly..

9. Rickaren

Google TV Sales Debacle: Eight Reasons the Logitech Revue Doesn't Sell

Another View:

2011-08-04

Logitech, the mouse, keyboard and remote control maker that has bet heavily on Web television service Google TV, surprised the tech world when it fired CEO Gerald Quindlen and announced disappointing first-quarter results. Sales of Logitech's digital home products, including the Revue box and its corresponding remote-control keyboards, fell 53 percent, resulting in a $34 million charge. In the face of such poor performance, Logitech slashed the price of its Revue companion box from $249 to a new low of $99 to accelerate adoption of Google TV by "removing price as a barrier to broad consumer acceptance." This may prove to be a tall task, considering that Logitech also said Revue returns were higher than its sales. While many took this to mean consumers were returning Revues in droves, Logitech clarified this statement to say it's actually retailers such as Best Buy that are sending back the unpurchased boxes, presumably to make room for products that sell. There is no way to sugar coat this failure, but Google TV fans will look forward to the Honeycomb-tailored version of Google TV coming out this summer with access to the Android Market.

Meanwhile, this eWEEK slide show covers eight reasons why Google TV and the Logitech Revue that brings it to users aren't selling.

10. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

I bought two of them from my local BestBuy. Totally impressed right now and after learning that Honeycomb was coming it made the purchase a no-brainer. Bought the first one Monday and went back and bought another one the following day. Paid $99.99 for the first one and saved 10% on the second one because the box had been opened. Really looking forward to the forth coming update.

Jeff

11. Winkle

Winkle New Member

me too.. i just want to change the background , lol.. but am interested to see whats in the marketplace..

12. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

STILL holding out for apps! :p THEN I'll jump...

13. ThatHarlemKat

ThatHarlemKat New Member

Took delivery yesterday and I am very impressed, it will only get better with Honeycomb but I have no complaints so far. I will really delve into the features and functionality over the weekend. The remote is actually a high point, I also easily programed my android phone as an alternate remote. My Google Picassa Gallery came to live on my big screen.

14. MO74

MO74 New Member

If you live in MA this weekend is sales tax free so now is a good time to buy,.

Also can someone direct me on how to update my Google TV to whatever is new out there ? ie Google v. 2 or Android apps >

15. DCLocal

DCLocal New Member

I had been watching Craigslist for a GTV the past several weeks and was very excited when I heard about the price drop. Once announced I kept checking retailers and the Logitech website for the new price. Then a couple Sundays ago I noticed the price drop on the Best Buy website and immediately ordered GTV online for in-store pickup.

GTV is the best tech purchase I've made in months. Just the ability for full web browsing with a real keyboard is enough to justify the purchase. I LOVE the PIP feature to watch live or recorded TV while surfing the web. And websites are crystal clear and easy to read; it puts my feeble attempt at hooking up a PC for web browsing to shame. GTV has been a real boon for me and I can't wait for the 3.1 update!

BTW, I'm posting this from my recliner while watching my Windows Weekly recording. :)

16. Ranchwest

Ranchwest New Member

I was at my local Best Buy last week to buy a Harmony and the salesman told me he has been wanting a Revue, but every time they get some in, they're gone before he can get one.