Quantcast

First steps in hacking Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Hacking Logitech GTV' started by sparkyscott21, Dec 3, 2010.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

First Step to Hacking the Logitech Revue Found
    Posted: 03 Dec 2010 08:35 AM PST
    It's been almost a month and a half since the Sony NSZ-GT1 'recovery mode' menu was discovered. Since then, hackers have been feverishly searching for how to do the same on the Logitech Revue. It appears someone has finally found out how. Android Police reports that a twitter user named @Stericson has figured out how to enter recovery mode, and provided two pictures as proof. It appears through his Twitter posts that he received the Revue Wednesday from Google as part of the 10,000 units provided free to developers. This would be very simply to fake (Sony NSZ-GT1 hiding under the table?), and he hasn't provided details on how to do it yet, but what point would there be to faking it? No one has so far been able to take advantage of recovery mode on the NSZ-GT1, let's hope that once the trick is revealed, and 10,000 more developers begin exploring it, we'll have some interesting new ways to use our Revues!

Update: He's revealed the technique, "Hold power button in the back down until you see a progress bar. Then press alt + L"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

***BEFORE ANYONE TRIES THIS***

Stericson also pointed out that any time you boot into recovery, the device is automatically wiped to factory defaults (hence the formatting commands seen in the above screenshot). Unfortunately there is probably no way to prevent this from happening until someone else writes a custom recovery image.

Also, Stericson is a fairly relatively well known name in the Android development community, and has developed a number of commonly used tools for Android, mostly that have to do with theming, including Metamorph, Ninjamorph, and most recently, Signapktic, which signs .zip files directly from your android device, without the need for a PC. I was very happy when I saw his posts about the recovery menu. Hopefully development starts picking up now that devs are getting their free devices. Not that I have much of a reputation here, but trust me when I say you can trust him :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that forewarning, Spyder. We're happy to host Stericson's GTV exploits here in our Hack/Dev section, or anyone else's, for that matter! :p

4. nagmier

nagmier New Member

I totally agree with SpyderMS Stericson is a working man and I know for a fact he doesn't have a Sony box, he has an outstanding rep in the android community and he is a hacker at heart, super nice guy and I've had the pleasure of dialoging with him on several occasions. This is def legit!

5. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

Update from Stericson's twitter

:'(