Quantcast

First Factory Reset - Much Faster

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by guest, Jan 29, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

The other day, with the Revue loading too slow, I hit the back button about 20 times rapidly, then hit alt/ctrl/del. "Wasn't prudent." When the device came back on, I had a white page and an inability to reach any website. After doing the customary things in such a situation, I decided to call Logitech, thinking that maybe I permanently damaged the device. Long story short, I decided to do a factory reset, the first one on this device. Problem solved. It's running much faster now - without Seeder and Ram Booster!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Funny that you mention that as I had the exact same white page issue yesterday! I also did the factory reset and uninstalled the Seeder APK and the Ram Booster app. Things seem stable today and pretty fast. By the way I kept getting the freeze and then dreaded white screen when I went to settings and cleared cache. Clearing the cache triggered it twice!

I'm thinking that Google is doing some things behind the scenes with their servers, GTV apps, etc causing this issue. It is reported that Google is getting ready to roll-out new updates soon - which also quite possibly is causing the issue.

By the way I've found a new speed demon trick -:) I use: Mowser - Mobilizing the web as a web page mobilizer - then I bookmark my favorite web sites in the Mowser mobilizer. Thus when I click my bookmark it instantly goes to the Mowser mobilized version of that web site. (This saves me from needing to type in the URL of the web site I want to mobilize (in the blank field on the Mobilizer web page). Zoom lightning fast! I also bookmarked a mobilized version of Google.com and do my web searches that way. Once on a mobilized web page - if I want to view the regular version of that page through Chrome - I just scroll down the page and there is a link to do that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also wanted to mention that AFTER I uninstalled Seeder and Smart Ram Booster - and then subsequently cleared my cache I got the white screen issue again. So that indicates that the issue was not caused by Seeder or Smart Ram Booster.

Maybe Google tweaked the GTV Chrome browser behind the scenes?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Ever since I installed Seeder and Ram booster I get some error msg once a day with a report/don't report option that I just clear away. It's a lot better than the frequent freezes/reboots my GTV unit used to experience.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have seen the white screen a few times, that is just a web page that didn't load. I close it and any other web pages open and move on without issue. I would certainly uninstall the Seeder APK but would continue to use a memory booster app like Smart Ram Booster.

5. CatfishRivers

I just got the white screen issue again! Chris this particular white screen issue effects Chrome so that the browser is totally disabled/dysfunctional. There is no way to "move on" to another web page with Chrome (because it stops functioning and all there is is a white screen).

OK just now when it happened Seeder and Ram Booster were not installed - so like I said they can be ruled out as causes.

What happened was as I was web surfing I got stuck on a web page trying to load so I rebooted by pressing Alt + Ctrl + DEL. After the reboot I had the same white screen Chrome issue. So I dreaded that I was going to have to do the factory reset again. But first I tried going to settings then force stopping and clearing data from Chrome. Still no dice so I rebooted once more and then Chrome was OK! (With the exception that all my cookies and saved passwords were erased). So I had to sign-in again to all my web sites - but that's still better than doing the full reset.

So if any of you get the white screen issue and Chrome is totally non-functioning - I suggest first trying to force stop and clear data from Chrome followed by rebooting. You might be able to save yourself the trouble of a full factory reset. Also after I did this procedure and then first went to Chrome it seemed to take a few seconds longer than usual for Chrome to start working. So give it at least 10-15 seconds. Now everything is working good and seems peppy.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I've been getting gazillion Chrome Force Closures. Hmm...maybe I forgot to pay the mortgage on this thing. Funny thing is, I was using Android Taskmaster. It was the first thing to bug out. I kept getting bogged down in Wisdoms posts. (Lol) Deleted the task master and flew through that thread.

Task managers & cache cleaners are ok on phones. But my Revue no likey.

Carl

7. CatfishRivers

Wow my web loading speed with Chrome is like very fast now! I notice a difference. This is without Seeder or Smart Ram Booster. My increase in speed seemed to start along with the white page issue yesterday. So I'm thinking Google is tweaking a few things behind the scenes.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think if you wait a short while after the white screen, the menu button will be functional and the window can be closed. As far as the RAM booster app, uninstalling it only means manually clearing memory will be required, sort of tedious but it will run fine, that is what I did before installing Smart RAM Booster. The Seeder APK app never made any sense to me.

9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Usually, I am leery to attribute any speed up of Chrome to some unseen cause. But after the sluggishness of the last few days & (in my case) Chrome constantly force closing, I gotta say I'm relieved that all is well again. A restart is no big deal when things get sluggish. But not having to use boosters or cleaners is a plus in my book. I like to enjoy the internet w/out the added distraction. My average reboot time is about 3-4 days.

I can live w/that...

Carl