Quantcast

Fire Tv and the lack of news

Discussion in 'Amazon Fire TV' started by mdwright1032, Jun 9, 2014.

1. mdwright1032

mdwright1032 New Member

I really like my Fire tv but some amazon needs to work on some things.

1. There is no place that updates news and upcoming events for the fire tv

2. The 8gb storage is not enough. When games are almost 2gb's that little storage is just not (about 5.5gb useable to the user)

3. They promised Thousands of games by the end of may and here we are in June and there are around 250 games only available.

Anyone know of a source that updates the latest news for the fire tv? I really like it and hope it succeeds.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. JoeBlack

JoeBlack New Member

www.firetvnews.com is the best source of news and info about the Fire TV that I've come across.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  4. mugsy

mugsy New Member

Yeah, I agree. Amazon has made a lot of promises regarding Fire TV and hasn't really delivered yet. For Example: We were told shortly after launch that there would be a "Prime Browse" feature added "soon" that would enable users to filter Prime eligible movies and TV shows from pay stuff, which is something even the PS3 & 4 Amazon apps can do, but so far nothing. As you mentioned, they had also promised to add thousands games by May but haven't. Finally, we were told Fire Tv would have a constantly evolving environment with new apps being added regularly, but they haven't accomplished this yet either.

I know Fire TV has only been out for a couple of months, but I'm honestly starting to worry about Amazon's ability to deliver on some of the promises they've made, especially with Sony announcing their new streaming/gaming device at the E3 this past week. Sony will absolutely put Amazon's lights out if they hesitate and don't put considerably more effort into improving Fire TV to try and maximize its potential before Sony launches its new toy. I just bought two Fire TVs less than three weeks ago and I'd really hate to see this product die on the vine.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I don't agree. My FireTV seems to have gotten increasingly more stable, they have a recently added to Prime section, ... and apps that are there seem well designed for the TV.

The new PlayStation TV is very interesting but it won't be available until the end of the year. Interesting device though. PS gamers should find it appealing and Sony does have strength in its media holdings. Amazon has Prime which is getting better fast. I am not a gamer and wouldn't even consider the Sony console, but I agree that it is neat.

The FireTV will do just fine. By this time next year there will be the FireTV, Roku and Apple TV as dominant media players. Am not sure of the order as Apple seems to be hibernating with respect to the ATV. It's also hard to comment on the PS TV as it isn't even close to shipping.

Philip

Sent from my Fire HDX.

6. retroben

retroben Active Member

My benchmark exploit and another speed exploit (seeder) both have an effect with Fire TV as well!
    Using seeder on agressive strength and occasionally running the 2D and 3D tests using my Benchmark exploit causes my Fire TV to run faster when navigating the menus where it normally lags (why?) and when browsing in Opera and other browsers.

Why does Fire TV sometimes immensely lag?
    Are the extra cores optimized,or are all three other cores set to a low performance mode instead of being utilized properly?
    Qualcomm is probably the one to blame other than the custom firmware.

7. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Google has been battling lag issues in Android for a while, but have made great progress with KitKat. FireTV is based off of JellyBean?

Here are some of the issues:

- When the CPU is idle, it normally drops in to a lower power state to reduce heat and save power. The delays for getting out of this state can be quite high relative to the sort of lag that people can notice. Battery life isn't as important for a STB, so Amazon could improve this a number of ways.

- JellyBean uses on-the-fly compilation which can introduce lag when this occurs. KitKat offers an option to pre-compile all Apps.

- It's possible the Bluetooth remote is introducing some lag depending how aggressively it drops in to a power saving mode.

- The UI in JellyBean wasn't optimized to take full advantage of a multi-core CPU. KitKat is reportedly better.

Anyway, the PlayStation TV product seems like a niche/complimentary product to me because as it is now, it won't make streaming users very happy (lack of 1080p support) or console gamers very happy (streaming a game no matter how smooth isn't as nice as playing it directly, and it's going to struggle with Vita games that actually leverage the Vita hardware). People who already own a PS4 and/or a Vita might think it's cool additional toy to have.