Quantcast

Finding Google TV Hardware Ethernet Address

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by McGoog, Jan 4, 2011.

1. McGoog

McGoog New Member

I am trying to setup my Sony Set-Top Box (NSZ-GT1) on my university network, which requires I register it on the network. To do this, I need to provide the Google TV Hardware Ethernet Address. Unfortunately, it seems that I need to go through the entire Google TV setup process to be able to see the network settings information. Since I need to register the device first on the network using the wireless hardware ethernet address before I can access the internet, I am unable to complete the Google setup process, and thus unable to get the network settings information. Does anyone know if there is an alternative way to see the network settings without have to complete the full Google setup?

2. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

There should be a way to register via MAC address rather than IP address, the MAC address for each system should be labled on it, not sure exactly where it is on the Sony system.

• Like Like x 2
  3. McGoog

McGoog New Member

I thought the same thing, but I can't find the MAC address anywhere on the system. Does anyone know where that might be?

4. mcorley929

mcorley929 New Member

On my Logitech Revue, the MAC address for both the wired and wireless interfaces can be found by clicking on Applications... Settings... Network... Network Information

5. albertmartel

albertmartel New Member

i was able to find my logitech revue ip by looking at the the status of connected device in my router.. if you lucky it will say google tv ...and display the ip address .. you should see all device connected to your home network.. i know it not as simple as seeing on the box itself.

6. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi McGoog,

At what point do you get stuck in setup? Can you describe what you're seeing?

Thanks,
    Daniel

7. dj_dougherty

dj_dougherty New Member

Wow. This is so basic. I can't believe you guys did not think this through.
    I know very little about networks, but you run right into this problem when trying to set this
    POS up.

The mac address is nowhere on the NSZ-GT1 unit. My netgear wireless network
    has an access list. You need to enter the mac address before you can get on the network.

From the setup step on the Sony box, you enter the WEP key, and then it starts trying to
    connect to your network. But your network won't let you on, because the unit is not registered on the access list.
    You see the problem ...

Have any of you guys at Google/Sony ever set up a wireless network? Do you use WEP or access list features.
    this thread hasn't been resolved since January? Really?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can disable your filters temporarily for the Google TV device to obtain a DHCP address and find out its MAC address.