Quantcast

Finally 3D on NSZ-GT1?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by ispy, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ispy

ispy New Member

Hi all,

I just bought the Sony NSZ-GT1 and joined the Google TV group yesterday. After updating the firmware to 3.1 (Honeycomb), I played around the settings a little bit and found out the '3D output' option was listed under the Picture sub menu. Does that mean the NSZ-GT1 can finally support 3D Blu-ray? I know Sonystyle has listed that 3D feature as 'Coming soon' for a long time. Can anyone confirm that? Thanks!

iSpY

2. drhill

drhill Member

No it doesn't support 3d blu rays. :(

I have had a post on Sony's forums for a few weeks that hasn't even gotten the "forwarding to engineering team" so I assume they are ignoring it. Where does it say coming soon? I would buy a second one in a heart beat if they supported that... or a 40" sony gtv and swap blu ray players between my tvs though I don't think the tv's support DTS (and not sure about mpeg2) which is important for me and my dlna server plans.

3. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Member

The PS3 Supports 3D, so not sure why this would not...Strange Engineering

4. ispy

ispy New Member

Hey drhill,

Hum...then I really don't know what that 'Settings>Pictures>3D output / 2D output' is for. I didn't have any 3D blu ray and glasses so I couldn't check it out myself (my TV is 3D capable though). I was quite excited when I first saw that....Anyway, I just sent you the link from Sonystyle.com showing the 3D is 'Coming soon' on the NSZ-GT1.

Btw, could you send me the link of your post on Sony's forum? I will to keep the pressure on...

Cheers,

iSpY

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, the PS3 has much better hardware specs than just about every Google TV implementation so far. That could be part of the reason.

6. ispy

ispy New Member

I cannot post the link yet (being a newbie) but please go to Sonystyle.com, select 'Blu Ray and DVD Players' and click on the 'Compare Video Players' icon on the left. You can clearly see that the 3D support is being listed as 'Coming Soon' for NSZ-GT1. Sony did update some of their last year model Blu Ray DVD players to 3D via firmware so I really believe the 1.6GHz Intel Atom can handle that just fine. I guess the question is 'When' we will get it..... :-(

7. ryan808

ryan808 New Member

i talked to a sony rep at frys and he mentioned the upgrade to 3D coming out in a few weeks.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Here's a hint that I wished someone told me when I was young. Don't ever take anything a salespeople tells you as gospel. Make sure you do your own research before you act or repeat on anything that comes out of their mouths. They often will say just about anything to either get to you buy something or make you go away.

9. drhill

drhill Member

I believe the 3d setting is for android apps to use 3d. The hardware is more then capable. They just didn't update the blu ray software to use it. I call it lazy engineering/business decisions.

Here is the link ispy pm'd to me: Blu-ray Players Compare Chart | Sony Store USA

So it looks like it may be coming. The question is will they support lossless audio over HDMI while 3d is enabled?

10. drhill

drhill Member

eferz is right about salespeople. Also while the PS3 is vastly superior to this box. The atom chipset is still a very capable chipset. We won't really see it until Google allows NDK development and developers start caring about the platform.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's right, I remember reading that the PS3's 3D compatibility reduces the compatibility with comprehensive audio streams like Dolby TrueHD. However, I believe that Sony deployed a patch that offered some compatibility for certain codecs while in 3D. As far as Sony NSZ-GT1 is concern, I don't know that's asking a lot for the little CE4170 processor.

12. drhill

drhill Member

The bandwidth spec between hdmi 1.3 and 1.4 didn't change so I'm not sure why the PS3 doesn't support. The only changes outside of ethernet capability (via new cables) are firmware based. The bigger question is how Sony shipped an "advanced" blu ray player in November 2011 with hdmi 1.3 when the 1.4 spec was finalized in early 2009. In summer 2010 I bought a tv, blu ray player, and receiver with hdmi 1.4.

The Intel CE4100 series supports decoding dual 1080p streams at 60p. Frame packed 1080p (@24p) isn't double the bandwidth as only the 3d deltas are in the stream. We know there is 3d support for apps because the setting so the device can render 3d, but all the disc player needs to do is decode and pass the stream on.

Either way :fingers crossed:

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Fixed

• Like Like x 2
  14. drhill

drhill Member

Hah. Yes, why? Especially on a $400 unit

15. ispy

ispy New Member

I contacted the people at Sony Listens and confirmed that the 3D upgrade is coming for NSZ-GT1 (just like what they put on Sonystyle website. However, she could not tell the exact date though. I guess it's still good to know that this is being confirmed by multiple sources.

16. Renglishjr

Renglishjr New Member

I was on with the Sony technical support folks last night and was told that the NSZ-GT1 3D upgrade is scheduled to be out before the end of this year - meaning within the next 3 weeks.

17. ryan808

ryan808 New Member

I guess the salesman was right and my statment is inline

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It appears so, but I still wouldn't take the word of a salesman as gospel.

19. ryan808

ryan808 New Member

That I cant argue with..

20. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I spoke to a Sony Rep at Best Buy a week or so ago who told me the same thing while I was looking at the Sony GTV Blue-ray.