Quantcast

File Expert Re-Sync'd My iPod With iTunes!

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by guest, Nov 29, 2012.

1. guest

guest Active Member

I have an iPod Shuffle (4th generation) and a Logitech Revue. I don't have a computer.
    Recently, I went to a cybercafe to de-sync this new iPod Shuffle with iTunes. We downloaded three MP3's from a non-iTunes source. So it was no longer sync'd with iTunes a few days ago. When the device is new, it comes sync'd with Apple's iTunes. Which means that you can only use it with iTunes - until you un-sync it. I wanted to use MP3's from a non-iTunes source.

A few moments ago, I was running the File Expert application, using the Revue and the iPod connected to it via USB, and
    decided to delete the three songs I had downloaded into the iPod at the cybercafe - as I wasn't sure I could delete
    them from home using a Logitech Revue Google TV. I was hoping I
    wouldn't have to return to the cybercafe, just to delete a song from
    the iPod Shuffle! [I still hadn't/haven't figured out how to download
    songs into the iPod Shuffle using just the Logitech Revue and an Application!] Using the TinyShark Downloader application and the Logitech Revue, I had downloaded five songs into the SDcard file in the File Expert application. I was trying to figure out a way to download
    directly into the iPod without first sending them to the SDCard.

That is when I tried deleting the three songs that were actually in
    the iPod. While checking to see if they were deleted (they were
    deleted), I got the message that I need to sync the device with iTunes
    again!!!!

In the cybercafe, I had used the instructions from CopyTransManager to "unsync" the iPod from iTunes.
    How do I prevent automatic synchronization of my iPod when I open iTunes?

I have two Folders in my File Expert Application: SDcard and Phone Internal Storage [the pathway to the iPod is contained here]. I went to Phone Internal Storage/mnt/media/usb.44E8-1CFE. It showed the three MP3's. I selected each, then choose delete.

Is this a prohibited move? Are you only allowed to delete from the SDcard? If the Shuffle weren't a gift to someone else, I'd through the damn thing away. It's taking up too much of my time futzing around with it.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Can't you take the iPod Shuffle to a friend's or family member's home, hook it up to a computer and handle the issue? Using an iPod with Google TV is not something in high demand is my guess, it may not be possible or it may be very cumbersome but if you aren't going to use it long term, why worry about knowing the answer.

3. guest

guest Active Member

This "application madness" is poisoning the technology. Set-top boxes, starting with WebTV, were about making things simpler. What do we have now? A drive to make the set-top box be like a computer. Why? Just use a computer if you want that! The technology is going in the wrong direction. But there's big bucks to be made in developing applications. Just like the big bucks that were to be made with the internet. Now look at how commercialized the internet has become. Controlling GTV by voice is a step in the right direction, but the device is still at the mercy of application developers that have computer backgrounds and are looking to make Google TV as esoteric as Windows-based computers.

This is why Apple TV may yet win the set-top box wars. There was a difference between what Jobs envisioned and what Gates pursued.

Google/Android/Chrome are becoming what Jobs sought to distance himself from. I've never owned an Apple computer, so I may be overstating the case.

Maybe we need voice-guided file systems. What we have now on GTV is a transplant from the computer-world. These file systems and other artifacts of the computer era belong in the dustbin of history.

Pardon me. I need to get back to my Star Trek reruns.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google TV definitely feels like a hybrid computer/media player to me, I like it that way but I can see your point. Apple TV looks like a simple device that handles what it does well, which isn't much in my opinion and I don't want to bother with it.