Quantcast

Feequent "Force Close"

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Travel, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Travel

Travel Active Member

The Sony GS7 that I use has been producing "Force Close" error messages quite frequently, which has to be clicked, and subsequently you're bounced back to the GoogleTV home page.

This has been going on for a couple of months, and it mostly seems to occur on "busy" websites, but it does happen anywhere. It could be due to the low Chrome API level of the browser, but then another squirrelly thing happened: on a reboot, the box wouldn't connect completely, and just spun a continuous "loading circle" instead of opening-up on the GoogleTV home page. I did a factory reset which corrected the reboot-connecting problem, but the "Force Close" problem remains. I also did a factory reset and router reboot about a month ago for the Force Close problem that resulted in no change in the problem at all.

Anyone else having this problem? Maybe this particular box just wore-out. I bought it new only11 months ago.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I sure wouldn't think the box just wore out but of course we can't rule out having a catastrophe hardware failure of some sort. I don't know for sure what could be broken to cause this kind of problem but my best guess would be RAM if in fact it is hardware related. I retired a Logitech Revue that did this too often for me last year and replaced it with a Sony and have not seen another box act this way since, I have five Google TV boxes running. Sorry I don't have a solution but I would suggest you do another factory reset and don't restore from backup, run it bare bones and gradually reinstall needed apps one at a time and see if something stands out. I believe side loaded apps created my Revue issue, I no longer mess with those except for the Wi-Fi adblocker app, which I use on all boxes.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, many web sites are best avoided with the GS7. I've considered factory resetting my GS7 and only loading up the Apps I really want to use - rather than the collection of stuff I've accumulated over the past two years. It just might run better.

4. ChrisG8

I run mine lean and mean and believe it helps. I visit various streaming sites, audio/video and sports forums. I never visit any of the pirate sites which have always been a crapfest of popup ads and unusable for Google TV in my opinion, I also have no level of comfort that there are no malicious things at that type of site.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I had that problem on my Revue. Here is what I did to make it go away. I did the factory reset and when it asks me if I want my apps automatically restored I don't check that box. Also when it asks me if I want to sync my Google account I don't check that either. Then after the factory reset I go to system settings and make sure that my account (and background data) aren't synced.

I don't install any apps. By doing this I only have the factory installed apps on my Revue and they stay on the factory versions. For instance my YouTube app is version 1.1. I tried updating it to the current version - but eventually I started getting the force closes again. So I put it back to version 1.1 and turned off my account sync. It's been several months and I never get the force close message this way.

I don't know if you will consider this to be an acceptable fix - but it's OK for me because I'm primarily interested in having the web browser. By the way I do sync my browser bookmarks to my Google account (this is done from the GTV Chrome settings and not the same thing as syncing your Google account to your GTV). The syncing of GTV bookmarks does not produce a negative effect for me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ChrisG8

Catfish's method is extreme and I think would work with the NSZ-GS7 but it shouldn't be necessary. There are several apps in addition to the core factory installed apps I must have to use Google TV, PlayOn, Plex, ViMu, Memory Booster, PrinterShare, IMDb, Wi-Fi Adblocker and a couple of others. I believe the force close problem is basically a RAM problem, for whatever reason, a number of apps run in the background if installed and clutter RAM. By having only the important apps installed, closing unused apps, and using a RAM booster and ad blocker, I am running without the common issues so many here complain about. The NSZ-GS7 and NSZ-GT1 both run better than the Revue for me, probably as a result of better processors.

7. Travel

Travel Active Member

well, I'm in the "have to have certain apps" camp. "RepliGo Reader" and "PrinterShare" actually extend the capability of the GS7, for example, so carrying no apps isn't really a good "trade off" for me.

I've been using Memory Booster dating back before this current Force Close problem. This Force Close problem could be caused by a number of things I guess, but it seems that it occurs most consistently on busy, "not 100% compatible with the GoogleTV browser" sites. For example, Newsmax.com is all tricked up with pop ups and video and requires a zoom to read the text. The Force Close seems to occur especially when zooming text on a website, but not every single time. Before the Force Close started, and in that situation, I'd usually just get a freeze and have to back button out and then go in again. But, these current Force Closes occur sometimes unexpectedly on websites that should work easily.

8. jonw747

My GS7 must have been in a good mood today, as newsmax.com and even ESPN.com came up reasonably well, but certainly it may take a longer session of browsing different pages (or zooming text) before it hits the point it can't take anymore. If we can identify some sites that lockup Chrome consistently, we can try it out on our different setups and see if it makes any difference. Even so, popups and banners can vary quite a bit if they're being generated by a separate advertising supplier.

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I think the problem of Chrome locking up and the "force close" problem are two separate issues. For instance after I did the procedure I mentioned in my previous post - I never get the 'force close" message no matter what web pages I visit with Chrome browser.

However on some complicated web pages (with a lot of ads, popups, Flash, etc) it does cause the Chrome browser to crash triggering the "Aw Snap!" message. Other times the web page 'freezes' and I get a popup message that the web page stopped responding (with the option to wait or reload page). I've found that closing all open windows helps the issue with Chrome locking up (but not always).

But Chrome locking up is not the same thing as "force Close" messages which seem to be related to apps and account sync.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  10. jonw747

Well, typically I see the "Force close" message when an App or a Web Page is taking too long to load. Typically I'll click "Wait" and with some more time the page will load, but sometimes there's really no choice but to accept the force close.

If we can identify some consistently problematic pages, then maybe we can see how specific/universal the problem is.

But I don't tend to push my web browsing on the GS7 much beyond Google Searches/Wikipedia/YouTube these days. In other words, I find the mic real handy for looking something up quickly.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  11. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

The force close problem got so bad for me, I reverted back to my PC. There, I used Chrome and to my astonishment, the webpages kept needing to be recovered! This is a chrome problem not a GS-7 exclusive glitch. Eventually, I received a Google update to the Chrome browser and it is now running smoothly. But there were times when the webpages simply fails to respond. That also was fixed.

On a small client device all bugs in an OS become more defined & cause us users webpage loading problems that the PC user does not experience. The cure on a PC cannot be imitated on GTV or many other android devices. We suffer the worst of Chrome deficiencies using these devices. It is Not an insufficiency of RAM. It is the mobile version of Chrome!!! We are using a full browser meant for a damned freaking cell phone or tablet. Period!!!

There is no cure...

Carl