Quantcast

Fed up waiting for Google Update

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Greenenergyassessors, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I don't know if you're like me, but as I was fed up waiting for Google to update our GTV's, I bought a 'run of the mill' Android box off Ebay.
    I know perhaps I should've waited but I didn't.
    Nevertheless it's got XBMC, Mash Up, and Navi X, but the joy for me was it has Flash. With that comes the extras of streaming from about 70 Countries.

I only really bought it for a spare and for the family to watch movies during the school holidays.

Price was £79.99, but if it goes wrong, I can go round the sellers house house and 'have a word'. Happy Days.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The announcement of the update to Jelly Bean indicated it would happen in the third quarter, 2013. I would think it is a little early to be fed up with waiting but it is always fun to have another tech toy to play with, even if the reason for the purchase is sort of silly. If you get a chance, post your impressions of the device, there is a thread in the off topic section with discussion about these devices.

3. Greenenergyassessors

ChrisG8: You'd be surprised how low my tolerance level is. Well to be honest the kids are on their 6 week Summer Holiday and with me out all day, it was just in case the weather meant the kids wanted to watch a movie. I'm not into paying Netflix a fee.
    With the new football season just around the corner I had an excuse to buy it. When I have time I will post my findings too.

4. Greenenergyassessors

Still Waiting..............

5. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

does your 'rotm' box have HDMI passthrough, or do you have to switch to it as it's own input?

to me, that is the major advantage offered by GTV (I think the new Xbox will do this too).... of course GTV seriously needs the OS update. I am also very disappointed by the massive delays.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The HDMI passthrough is brilliant in theory, in practice it can be annoying when the GTV runs in to some sort of video sync problem and all I see is a black screen until I think of rebooting it. I also prefer to use native passthrough on my DVR for multiple reasons, but the GTV forces me to pick a resolution. Also sometimes the GTV will prompt for something on the TV screen, and it can be frustrating when it's not readily apparent that it's the GTV doing so.

Plus I have a universal remote that can manage input switching just fine, but of course it doesn't work with GTV .

7. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Switching inputs fails the WAF test :)

the reboot would be a cinch if only you didn't need root to do a reboot.. ie. root is the only thing preventing a cron job to do a reboot every night @ 3am (hopefully those stability issues are improved when the update comes out)

8. jonw747

That's what IR macros are for....

I don't think a reboot every night would help my GS7 and might even create some problems, but I close Apps when I'm done with them so they're less likely to hang around soaking up all the RAM.

9. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I've yet to find a "smart" remote that I like in practice (I've tried)... ie. if you have it just aimed wrong and 1 device fails to turn on.. its 4 levels of menus to get to where you can turn the power on for that device manually... that not only fails the WAF test, it fails the G(eek)AF-test as well :)

10. jonw747

My remote supports both IR, RF, or both at the same time. It's not hard to get around the pointing problem.

If something doesn't turn or switch for whatever reason, my remote is configured so you would just push the ON button.

One of the keys to setting up a remote well is to identify discrete ON/OFF and switching codes such that the macros don't need to be aware of what state the devices are in, they just have to tell it what state the device should be in.

So there are certainly remotes that can overcome your technical problems, but personal preferences are another matter, let alone cost - as a good universal remote can cost more than a GS7.

11. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

so what to you have? I tried some mid/upper-mid tier Logitech's and came away reminded of "clippy" (ie. the @#% remote was trying to out-think me and making things worse in the attempt :) )

For now, the saving grace is that my Denon AVR has apps which run on both Android and iOS... which manages to pass the WAF ... barely.

12. jonw747

I'm using the lower end of URC's Custom line (ex: URC MX-900 and MRF-350), so they make you jump through hoops to get necessary s/w to configure the remotes unless you do as they wish and hire a custom installer, but you end up with a lot of control over what happens compared to the Logitech approach where their efforts to make setting up a Harmony easy sometimes robs you of control.

Not to say URC is perfect or anything, but it sounds like it would handle well some of the things that have been vexing you.

13. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Ah.. I agree with you, I do like the URC remotes.. alas they confounded my liberal-arts-degree wife. :( then again, short of spoken commands, I'm not clear what won't :)

14. jonw747

Sounds like your only hope are children and husbands, because voice recognition isn't going to get it done, lol.