Quantcast

Fan TV Is A Next-Generation Set-Top Box For Live TV, DVR, VOD, And Streaming Services

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 30, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Fan TV Is A Next-Generation Set-Top Box For Live TV, DVR, VOD, And Streaming Services Like Netflix | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Ryan Lawler - May 30, 2013

"Video discovery startup Fanhattan is getting ready to change the way that viewers watch TV, with a new streaming set-top box that combines all of the best parts of TV, DVR, and VOD, while also giving users access to all their favorite streaming services. It's rebranding as Fan and showing off an innovative new take on live TV and streaming services.

The key to the company's new Fan TV box, being shown off at D11 today, isn't the content that users have access to, but a beautiful, trackpad-like control that was designed by Yves Behar, as well as a search and discovery screen for navigating all that live, recorded, and streaming content."

2. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

I wonder what cable companies will support this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. CatfishRivers

This box sounds very interesting. Could it end up stealing the thunder from Google and Microsoft? Based on what I read from the article - it would seem the Fan TV Box has more cooperation and fuller integrations with the TV providers than Xbox and Google TV. Hard to imagine that a smallish company could pull this off - a bit of a coup? I don't think this box will appeal to the Roku crowd though - as obviously it's a companion to Pay TV and not a cord cutting device.

If as the article mentions the box is basically given away free (as part of a subscription deal) - I think it could do quite well. I want to see proof though that they actually have secured deals with all/most of the major TV providers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the article:

"While the company has yet to announce any partners - those will come later this summer - CEO Gilles BianRosa told me that the company expects to be available to as many as 60 million pay TV households by the end of the year."

Hmm we'll see. IMO the TV providers cooperation is the 'biggie' that will make or break this TV box. But do they really have the deals lined-up???? That could turn out to be the bugaboo.....

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Ha, I have seen this kind of pie in the sky dream announced by startup companies before and nothing ever becomes of it. Unless I miss my guess, it will either never materialize or will be an absolute piece of junk and die immediately if there is an attempt to market it. It is a very difficult product to make but it is an easy product to describe.

5. ChrisG8

If the product is close to a reality and the company has some patents of interest, I suspect this is nothing more than an attempt to sell a pipe dream to Google or Yahoo or Sony or Panasonic or some other company that hasn't been able to enter the market and would like to try. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a cable or satellite company to offer or support Fan TV. If the company has funding to try to get it airborne on their own, expect it to crash and burn on the runway.

6. CatfishRivers

I tend to agree - it seems to me that if Comcast was going to go in for this kind of service - they would want full control and offer the service through their own hardware (box). The Fan TV box still hasn't officially mentioned any partners yet.

7. CatfishRivers

I just did a Google search for "Fan TV". The press is all over the Fan TV story today. Here is a detailed article about Fan TV from The Verge:

Fan TV revealed: is this the set-top box we?ve been waiting for? | The Verge

by Casey Newton - May 30, 2013

"In June 2011, a Silicon Valley startup released a well received iOS app named Fanhattan to serve as a central place for finding streaming video. More recently, Fanhattan brought its service to the web. But it turns out the apps were something of a feint - for its entire existence the company has been secretly working on its own media-streaming device, and after two years Fanhattan is showing it to the world."

8. CatfishRivers

This article from AllThingsD has a 15 minute video demonstration of the Fan TV box:

Fanhattan Introduces Fan TV Set-Top Box - Bonnie Cha - D11 - AllThingsD

From the article:

"BianRosa, joined by AllThingsD's Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, gave a demo of how it all works. While watching live TV, BianRosa navigated through different channels by swiping on the remote. He also showed how you could search for movies by what's playing at a certain time or genre."

9. CatfishRivers

In this article some of the Fan TV hardware specs are listed:

Fanhattan wants to replace your cable box, DVR and Roku with Fan TV - Liliputing

"In terms of hardware, the Fan TV has a TI OMAP 4470 ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core processor, an HDMI port, 1080p HD video output, 5.1 channel audio, and an Ethernet jack."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link to the Fan TV web site. (They have a short demo video, a web version of their video discovery service, and an app for iOS).

http://www.fan.tv/

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  10. ChrisG8

The highlight of this product has been a couple of days of internet hype. That will soon be over if it isn't already over and all that will be left is the reality. Why this product is DOA.

Movie Pictures | Movie Posters - Yahoo! Movies