Quantcast

External USB HD Power OFF

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jfrisbee, May 6, 2013.

1. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

Hi All,
    Last night I connected a 2TB external HD to my GS7 and used Mizuu to watch some movies. Mizuu is an awesome app by the way. When I was done, I powered off my GS7, but my external hard drive continued to run. I thought maybe it would eventually shut down after some time unactivity time, but this morning, I woke up and noticed it was still running. I unplugged it from the GS7 and it shut off. I'm worried that the HD will quickly burn out if I continue to leave it plugged into the GS7. I was hoping to find out a way to shut off the external hard drive when I power down the GS7 without having to unplug it. I noticed that the same thing happens with a USB thumb drive, but I'm not as worried about those since those don't have a motor that can burn out.

Has anyone come across a method of having their HD shut off at the same time the GS7 shuts off?

Thanks in advance!

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Try disabling "Quick start",

From "All Apps" > Settings > Unit settings > Eco

3. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

That's a great suggestion. I'll try it when I get home tonight and let you know... Thanks!

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't believe there is adequate power from the USB port to power a USB powered hard drive, check requirements for the drive and power output from the NSZ-GS7. If the numbers don't indicate adequate power, I sure wouldn't use a USB powered drive. If you are using an AC outlet powered hard drive, turning off the NSZ-GS7 of course would do nothing, regardless of settings. I use AC outlet powered hard drives with on/off switches on the external enclosures.

5. donc13

donc13 Member

If it's a USB drive designed to be powered by a USB port, then no problem using the GS7 to power it. USB spec. calls for 5v @ half amp or 2.5 watts.

And it won't hurt a USB drive to be powered all the time. They're designed for that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think hard drive requirements are usually 1 AMP or more which is why I suggested he look at his specific drive requirement. Yes, a hard drive can be left on all of the time and if it is used daily, that is probably the best way. I use my external drives about once every two or three weeks so I prefer not burn the electricity while they sit idle and I power them on when they will be used.

7. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

Thank you for all the replies. I am using an AC powered hard drive, Toshiba Canvio 2TB (model HDWC120XK3J1).

I used to have the hard drive connected to my wireless router so that I could access it using Plex. When the drive was not being used, it would power off (or maybe just go into sleep mode, I don't know for sure). It kind of became a pain though because every time I wanted to watch a movie, I would have to start up my computer (to access the Plex Media Server), and also "wake up" the hard drive, typically by accessing it through windows explorer on my CPU. Once the computer was on and the hard drive was running, I could watch a movie. So, instead of having to deal with that every time, I moved the hard drive, and connected it directly to the GS7. Using Mizuu, I'm able to access and catalog all my movies & TV shows locally, rather than over my network. It all works great, except that I noticed the hard drive still running when I turned of the GS7. I wouldn't mind if the hard drive was just "on", but it seemed that the actual drive was running also (felt vibration when I touched it). I'm just afraid that if it's left on all the time, with the hard drive spinning, that will really limit the lifespan of the hard drive.

Knowing what I know now, I would have bought a HD with and on/off switch :)

8. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

revue5 , you are right! Once I made the change to the Quick Start option, the hard drive would shut off when the GS7 shuts off.
    Thank you for the recommendation. The problem I'm running into now is that after I changed the Quick Start option, when I shut down the GS7, I lose my HDMI (and cable) connection. Even though my TV and cable box are both on, I am getting no signal fed through the GS7. So, I've fixed the original problem (thank you revue5), but now I have this new problem. Do you guys know a solution to this problem without switching the Quick Start back on?

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

You welcome!

Well :)

You could try to enable back "Quick Start" (for HDMI passthrough) and Unmount the USB Drive (instead) before turning Off GS7.

• To Unmount the USB Drive,
    From "Home" select "Notification" icon > unmount [drive name].
    or
    Press [Menu] ≣ button > Settings > 'Storage' > select unmount [drive name].

• To re-mount the USB Drive (if it doesn't mount @On)
    reboot GS7 - Press Ctrl + SHIFT + DEL
    or
    try Off/On GS7

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  10. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

If the noise and power consumption doesn't bother you, you could always just let the HD spin. They are, after all, designed to spin for years. An SSD would be sweet ... if you could trim your collection to fit.

11. donc13

donc13 Member

USB 2 specs say port only supposed to provide 500ma (half amp) of 5v power. Most 2 1/2" USB powered only draw that or less.

Yes, 3 1/2" and larger drives draw more power and require 12v power for the platter motor. Thus, they have external power supplies.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2