Quantcast

External harddrive

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by ebp, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ebp

ebp New Member

I have owned my Sony GTV for about 4 months now, it is awesome! My trusty old desktop has finally seen its end and I have been increasingly relieing on my Sony for all my computing needs. Questions;

Is there a way to use an external hardrive to increase native storage space for apps and photos?

Is there an app that will hide my GTV browser to access blocked sites?

How can I use my stock Sony remote to utilize spell check underscoring? I can not spell worth a poop!

How do you select the apostraphie ( you know what I mean! ...) ?I think you press Fn and Q but it does not work...

2. ebp

ebp New Member

I found the ( ' ) forget the last question!....

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

• Photos: Yes
    • Apps: No
    The best you can do is change the default User Agent. There are still a few sites that only discriminate the by the User Agent sting. Those are easy to go around by simply setting it to "Generic" instead of "Default". Other sites may require to spoof the string of real user agent of a supported device with the "Custom" setting

However, the sites that really do care to block Google TV will do that through Flash. And, unless you're one of the elite hackers than there's no way for you to by pass that. That's because the Flash software cannot be set to spoof another device. That's just the nature of how Adobe intentionally implemented it.

I personally use PlayOn software on a computer which transcodes the flash content from sites, like Hulu, CBS, and Syfy. Then I connect to the special GTV URL on my computer and I can navigate and watch movies from those sites. A friend of mine uses TVersity Pro and it does the similar thing. Don't ask which I think is better because I think they're just about the same.

Maybe in the future. On an Android Phone or Tablet, all you do is use a long key press of the touchscreen above the words and you get a palette of words to chose from. However, with Google TV if you use the Long Key Press of the optical sensor, I think it just secretly points and laughs at you.

The apostrophe (') / quote (") key is actually the key above the enter key, you can use the shift key toggle between the characters. The backtick (`) otherwise known as the grave accent or backquote used to be the key combination of [Fn]+[Q] in Android 2.1; however, it is broken in Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update for Google TV.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ebp

ebp New Member

I have read a little about "Play On" but have yet to try it, I'll give it a shot.
    Seems silly to have to work around big networks to view their content... I don't even mind the adds... I hope has GTV users grow, the networks will wake up and realize they are missing out on viewership.
    Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 2
  5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.