Quantcast

External hard drives

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by AndySt, Jan 22, 2012.

1. AndySt

AndySt New Member

Recently purchased a Sony NSX 32-GT1:

Is it possible to connect an external hard drive to use as a DVR? (similar to a dishtv VIP 211K - there usb port is enabled to attach a external hdd.

Thank for any and all help. (Please try to keep it simple, if at all possible. I'm not really that well versed in these applications.

Andy

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nope.

3. AndySt

AndySt New Member

Thanks, it's hard to believe that they supply all these usb ports and yet have none that would support 'two way traffic'. I guess they want you depandant on their service or the service ofa cable provider. So much for the freedom of modern technology!

Again, thank you!!

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can read and write to the hard drive without any problem. You just cannot use the Revue as a DVR. Due to restrictions of High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) licensing, Google could have theirs revoked if it was possible. In fact, they are not even able to allow access to the HDMI stream though the Dalvik Virtual Machine which the third-party applications are executed. That's why there is no such thing as a DVR or Place Shifter with HDMI inputs; only HDMI outputs.

You're kidding, right? There's this thing called HDCP because of it there is no such thing as "freedom of modern technology".

5. AndySt

AndySt New Member

Eferz, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure i understand everything you said but thanks anyway.
    My intention here is not to argumentative but i have more questions along the same line. I just ask that you keep in mind that i'm not well versed in this jargon.
    Here goes: You can subscribe to a cable suppler and record hd content on their dvr. Right?? Also, you can add an external hard drive to their receiver to expand your storage capacity (at least this is what i am told).
    You can also subscribe to a satelite distributor and some of their receivers are expandable to adding a dvr for recording and that is in high def, although i am not sure if that is through a usb or hdmi connection.
    Again, i'm not familiar with the jargon so i don't quite understand what you are saying about the 'hdmi' ports, so i don't understand where that would come in because my question was pertaining to the usb and why you can't down stream to a dvr through one of the four usb ports available.

Could you also explain the term 'revue as a dvr'. This might help me understand.

I would appreciate your time in helping me understanding this.

Thanks to everyone in advance, andy

6. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

The "in a nut shell" there is a basic encryption standard in place that says only certain devices can do certain things. This standard ensures that the TV networks, the movie studios, the cable service providers, the DVR manufactures, and the television manufacturers are all on the same page. This keeps everybody happy in that Sony doesn't need to worry about getting sued by Fox and that Time Warner doesn't need to worry about getting sued by Universal Studios.

This is the HDCP that was mentioned. HDCP requires a license to be issued... in order to get this license, the service/manufacturer needs to conform to certain rules. Basically, the reason your DVR box records content and can record content to a hard drive is because that device conforms to these standards. Your TV, does not, because of the license it has, it is not permitted to record, or pass recordable content to any other device. If Sony were to allow a HDCP encrypted signal to be passed through a USB port... unencrypted, it would be in violation of its license agreement. Their encryption key would be revoked, and the tv would not be able to display encrypted content from your cable box.

This isn't Sony, or Time Warner, or NBC locking you out of the freedom of modern technology, this is all of them getting together and saying, "none of us want to lose money to pirating.... lets work together to protect ourselves."

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I would almost agree with that statement if there wasn't douche bag providers, like Comcast, whom subjects their customers to further limitations provided by the HDCP protocol. I'm talking about either the two key, two device, or two depth limits that certain providers have implemented in their set-top boxes' firmware.