Quantcast

external hard drives and 3.1

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by cw54o, Dec 20, 2011.

1. cw54o

cw54o New Member

ok, so ive had the update a little over a week or so and im just now getting around to trying the media player area. i have an iomega ego 500 GB external HDD and for the last hour or so ive rebooted my revue about 10+ times and factory reset it once. when u plug it in a pop up says something about preparing my HDD for the revue, but 3mins (give or take) the revue flat out freezes. is there something wrong with my revue? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. Hamiltonzth

Hamiltonzth New Member

What specifically do you mean by "preparing the HDD for the revue but 3mins"?

Does it prepare for 3 minutes, or does it freeze for 3 minutes?

First logical step would be to try another device, whether it be your cell phone with the SD card mounted or another external hard-drive to see if the issue is reproduced.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

try turning off indexing on revue , also run a check disk / scan disk on drive to make sure it is not loaded with errrors .

• Like Like x 2
  4. cw54o

cw54o New Member

the pop up is displayed for about 3mins or so saying its preparing. then it freezes. i will try another device, thank-you.

.sent via mt4g

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  5. cw54o

cw54o New Member

ive connected it to my laptop and no errors to report. how exactly do u turn off indexing on the revue?

.sent via mt4g

6. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

To turn off indexing look under the "Search option" in the settings for the Logitech Media Player player. Not an easy setting to find.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  7. cw54o

cw54o New Member

ok i found it, and turned it off. but now it says my hdd is too large, and it still freezes. im going to buy another hdd and see if i still have the same issues. thanks everyone for trying to help.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's very odd. Logitech supports drives under two terabytes, and five hundred gigabytes is about 1/4th that size. What partition type is the iOMega drive using?

9. cw54o

cw54o New Member

2TB and below is what i thought too. mine says its using NTFS.

10. atmusky

atmusky New Member

Reformat the drive (with your windows computer) to FAT 32, maybe Android can not read/write to NTFS drives.

11. cw54o

cw54o New Member

darn, i didnt want to go that route, but it seems i may have too
    :( thanks @atmusky

12. swould333

swould333 Member

Atmusky isw correct.... the drive NEEDS to be formated to FAT32....

13. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Can someone verify this?... I read somewhere in the Logitech site that NTFS formatted 2TB drives were supported in the Revue. Even under 2.1-update1 firmware. FAT32 formatted drives have a partition size limitation of 32GB... under Windows, I believe.

14. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

I have an western digital 500gb drive formatted ntfs, it reads the whole thing with no issue.

15. cw54o

cw54o New Member

ur using honeycomb?

16. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Yeah 3.1 got the update awhile ago

• Like Like x 2
  17. cw54o

cw54o New Member

i FINALLY got it working guys. i had to go into manage applications and find the media player (logitech) and the media device 'app?' and clear the data. idk how it worked, but it did. thanks everyone who tried to help. i appreciate it.;)

18. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Glad you got it working... but you shouldn't have to go through all the iterations that you did just to get a Media Player to index the media that is supposed to play. Specially if the media files are "directly" attached to the device. I have come across a couple options to refresh (re-index) the media content and none of them do anything other than to bring me back to the previous screen. I usually have to reboot to get the Logitech Media Player to display the message "Creating index items to display..." After this long process, sometimes I get it to display the album art imbedded in the MP3 files from my music library, but must times it just displays the generic art... it's a mystery to me.

I'm really disappointed with the way Google and/or Logitech have implemented the support of USB attached drives. It looks to me like the Revue wants to index everything as if it were a DNLA server not a USB attached drive. There is no option to tell the Media Player which folder to search in the drive. Why must it try to index the whole thing? Why no option to restrict it to specific folders with Music, Movies and Photos? I use my drive to store applications, backups and other non-media files. At first, I turned off indexing in 3.1 to let the Logitech Media Player behave exactly like it did in 2.1. I was navigating the folders in the hard drive to find and select the media. This method works fine for videos, but it's too cumbersome to play music from a large library. In 2.1, it was easy to play albums and tracks, but in 3.1 I have yet to get it right. Recently, I decided to enable indexing, but only for the currently connected source... NOT for All indexes sources. Sometimes when I try to play a track from an Album the player automatically adds it to a playlist and plays it from there. Why?

I understand that streaming video from a local DNLA server is a nice feature, but now-a-days one can buy a 2TB drive for just a few dollars north of $100. A fraction of what a decent DNLA server software/hardware would cost. I had decided that putting all my photos and movies in a hard drive and attaching it to the Revue is the way for me. Having a "Local" DLNA server adds a level of complexity that I can not justify, specially for streaming video. Many things can go wrong. The Server hardware or software (DLNA server, OS, Networking stack), the Router hardware/firmware not to mention network connectivity issues (protocols, traffic & interference) inherent in wireless and even wired LANs. Don't get me wrong, I use a streaming server. For my music I use LMS (formerly SBS), but I decided not use its DLNA functionality. I use LMS's Slimproto to stream my music in FLAC format (without transcoding) directly to a Squeezebox. The Squeezebox plays this CD-quality music stream via my AV Receiver.

The LMS server and Squeezebox combo, has proven to be a bit too complex for my wife to use... consistently... for the reasons I mentioned above. The LMS Server, Squeezebox and AV components must all be turned on and working in harmony in order for her to hear the music. Because of this, I decided to also turn the Revue into a music player that my wife can use. I put a transcoded copy of my FLAC library in high bit-rate MP3 format in the hard drive that's attached to the Revue. I already had this MP3 library as I use a subsets of it in my Smartphone and on my MP3 player. If I can get the hang of how this indexing and re-indexing of media really works in the Revue, I should be able to create a digital media playing environment that my wife can easily use. But... Nah, just to play MP3s in the Revue requires that one figures out all these nuances that have been worked out by other vendors long ago. Sorry for all the rambling, but the implementation of the most fundamental component (The Media Player) of the Revue leaves a lot to be desired.

Btw, I have also tried the aVia Media Player, but it also has problems similar to the ones I found in the Logitech Music Player. I have been unable to get it to display album art. Does anyone out there has it displaying album art from MP3s?. I've been hearing good things about Plex... anyone out there using it? Is it worth the money?

Edit: A little tip. To "safely" remove the USB drive press Menu in the Keyboard->Select Notifications->On the USB Notifications it should read "Select to unmount this USB storage device"

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  19. cw54o

cw54o New Member

thanks for the tip to remove a USB device tamanaco. i tried aVia media player while i was trying to get the revue to recognize my hdd. aVia couldnt see my device either. only 'local' was an option and nothing was on there. now i havent tried it since i cleared the data in the Logitech Media app. will do so when i get home in the morning.

20. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Another step that I have taken, besides clearing the data from the Logitech Media Player, Media Device and Media Storage, is to remove the Android folder from the root of the USB attached drive and reboot. I have to reconfigure the Player, but after removing that folder and starting from scratch, the Album art shows in both the Logitech Media Player and aVia. Btw, now for some reason, the Genre category in the LMP is not available. Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011