Quantcast

External Hard Drive not detected???

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by fishtaco254, Oct 1, 2012.

1. fishtaco254

fishtaco254 New Member

Hey everyone got my new sony google tv just the other day. I have the logitec one before and liked it but unfortunately I can't get the box to recognize the External HD when I connect it to the USB drive. I don't typically leave my computer on all the time so I didn't want to run it from there. I have tried 2 different hard drives that are both NTFS one seagate one WD both 1TB drives. If I were to attempt to run it through my computer does it have a browse function so I can find the hard drive on on the computer through GTV? Thanks!

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Depends on the app. Certain apps support accessing files off of file shares, playing video/audio (GTVBox), copying files (ES File Manager), etc.

3. fishtaco254

fishtaco254 New Member

i've tried GTVBox with no luck... it won't find the external hard drive...

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I was replying to the part about going through a computer. I thought NTFS drivers were supposed to be supported, at least for read-only, but you might try a FAT32 drive. Or heck, a 32GB thumb drive is only $20 and that'll work. If you can fit most of what you want on, one of those, then you can avoid power hungry spinning platters.

5. futureboy

futureboy New Member

This has nothing to do with how the drive is formatted. Sony has a posted solution for this. It is a limitation on how much power the NSZ-GS7 can deliver. Many hard drives are exceeding the spec limits for a single port on a USB 2.0 device. The solution is either:

1) Do not use a USB powered hard drive
    or
    2) Connect a special cable that will allow your hard drive to connect to both USB connectors. Connecting both USB connectors will allow the drive to get more power from the box.
    or
    3) Use a USB hub that will power the drive and then connect it.

Here is the Sony solution on the website.

View Document

• Like Like x 2
  6. ash1348

ash1348 New Member

Thanks, I had the same problem and I was wondering about it. I ended up using a NAS HD connected to my network. I bought a WD My Book Live, despite many bad reviews. However, I couldn't be happier about my purchase. GTVBox and other DLNA enabled apps are working perfectly with it, and its Andriod app and Apple app are great. I only wish they had a Google TV app available. I tried side loading the app, but it didn't work. Anyways, best solution is the NAS.

• Like Like x 4
  7. fishtaco254

fishtaco254 New Member

Alright cool i'll try the NAS just because that would be easier. Also with your NAS WD mybook live does it work straight through the google tv media player or are you having to use the GTV Box app? I don't like that app because it has been cutting off the last 20 seconds of my TV shows when I stream them from the computer, highly annoying. Also how big is your WD mybook live? I'm assuming only a 2TB max will work work with Googletv...

Also on a side note with GTVbox app does anyone know how I can map another drive for it to find media files from my computer? Right now it is only seeing files in My Videos... and if anyone could share on a solution of how to stop it from cutting off the shows at the last 20 seconds that would be legit. thanks.

8. ash1348

ash1348 New Member

It works with any application that supports DLNA and UPNP. Lookup for those keywords in google play and you will see many applications supporting these two standards. I tried many apps, like ES File Explorer, aVia, Media House, movie browser (didn't spend enough time to setup the last two apps), and few others. They all find the HD box so easily, I believe all of them are using Sony's built-in decoders, just beware, the Sony's built in media app doesn't support NAS, only USB. Personally I found GTVBox the most compelling solution. For me it works almost flawlessly, and it is easier to navigate my files, compared to the other apps. Have you tried the developers thread under google TV apps? He is very responsive and he will help you to figure out your problem. My HD is 2TB and I bought it from Costco for $125 ($20 instant rebate). I read many bad reviews, some saying the box would fail in a year or so. For $120 I don't care if it eventually fails, since I am keeping a backup of all my files. What I really like about it is the apps for android and apple phones and tablets which provides an easy access to your NAS from anywhere on any device. When I am at home, I can watch all my movies and access my pictures and videos, plus my music files from every device that my wife and I have. Outside of home, I can access everything as well (slower), although videos are not getting streamed without buffering every 10 seconds, which makes it useless, no problem with streaming music files. I haven't looked into it, but it might be because of my internet speed at home, or my internet speed on my phone (Sprint Wimax), or network setup or something. Anyways, give it a try, I spent a month looking around before deciding to go with WD, and I am 100% happy with it (so far).

9. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Does GTVBox support playback of Pictures? I tried it and could not make it work...

10. ash1348

ash1348 New Member

No it doesn't, I really wish the developer adds support for pictures playback as well.

11. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Thanks I thought it was strange that it will display the tumbnail but not the whole picture. I too think this is kind of a must for a player.