Quantcast

External Hard Drive Compatibility

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jfrisbee, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

I'm planning on getting a Sony NSZ-GS7 soon with the main purpose to run an external hard drive through it to watch my extensive movie collection. There seems to be a lot of info (on this forum and other websites) about types of hard drives that work and don't work, but there isn't a place that has compiled a list of hard drives that have worked for this specific reason. Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to create a list of external hard drives that users have added to their NSZ-GS7 and their experience. I figure it would be a good place for anyone with a similar interest to come see what hard drives work & don't work. So, if you'd like to share your experience, please use the following format to make it as easy as possible, and feel free to add any additional info that might be missing

Hard Drive
    Manufacturer:
    Model No.:
    Storage Size:
    Powered by (USB/AC):
    Connection (USB/DLNA/Wireless Network/etc):
    Your Rating (1-5 stars):
    Additional Notes:

Media Playing Software
    App Name:
    Movie File Format (avi/mkv/mp4/video_ts/etc.):
    Your Rating (1-5 stars):
    Additional Notes:

Thanks guys, I think this will be a good resource for those wanting to expand the use of their NSZ-GS7.
    Cheers!

2. Paul1201

Paul1201 New Member

I have an old laptop drive I placed in a USB drive enclosure. I reformatted it to FAT32 with 32kb clusters and can read and write files on the drive using ES File Explorer. I'm currently using a USB Y cable to power the drive but may try a powered USB hub if I ever need to use one of the USB ports for something else.

BTW ES File Explorer reads and writes to my 3 TB USB drive connected to my Linksys EA3500 router too. I haven't played with that ability too much but that may be a possible solution also.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

Thanks for your response Paul and getting this discussion started. I do like the idea of being able to read & write to the HD using ES File Explorer, that would make it easier to transfer files from a flash drive to the HD without having to plug the HD into my computer every time. But, from what I've read it sounds like you can only do that on a FAT32 formatted drive, and I've only found FAT32 drives with a maximum storage of 1TB. I was hoping to use a 2TB HD, but that would mean it would probably need to be NTFS formatted, which would be read only.

Does anyone know if you can reformat a HD larger than 1TB into FAT32? Or can an unformatted 2TB drive be formatted into FAT32?

4. Paul1201

Paul1201 New Member

jfrisbee,

Yes FAT32 can be used to format a 2TB HDD. The other limitation to consider is that the maximum file size is 4GB. Since you are plannnning on using the HDD for video I wanted to make sure you were aware of that also.

5. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

Paul,
    I was not aware of that, but thank you for bringing that to my attention. That is definitely a factor. I was hoping to save all my movies as video_ts folders so I could take advantage of all the features a typical DVD might have. But, a video_ts folder would most likely be a minimum of 4GB, or larger, as long as it's not compressed. So, I will probably need to re-think my strategy. I suppose an NTFS format might be better for my purposes.
    Thanks again for the insight.