Quantcast

Extend 2.4ghz keyboard antenna via USB

Discussion in 'Hacking Logitech GTV' started by chrispix, Jan 9, 2011.

1. chrispix

chrispix New Member

I have all my A/V equipment up in a dedicated room on the other side of my house. Since the keyboard only has about a 30' range, I was looking at trying to extend the antenna closer to my living room. After looking at some dis-assembly instructions online. It appeared that the chip handling the RF communications was not only R/F but had USB interface. The issue is that the USB pin-out on the motherboard had been moved around a bit. On the bottom side of the RF board, there is some silk screened pin-outs. After playing around a bit. I used some hot glue and some 5pin to USB (M/F) adapters, and tested it out..I was able to use a regular usb cable in between the MB and the RF board. I ended up testing w/ a 10m (33') Usb extension cable from mono price, and it appears to work just fine.

If you are looking at the motherboard from the back to the front. Reading left to right, I used Red / Black / Green / White / Black to correspond to the
    VCC / FREE / D+ / D- / GND
    Just did the same on the other end, and should be good. The riser is smaller than the traditional USB riser btw, which is why I had to remove the pins from the harness.

I just tried something else. I decided just to use the male usb cable that attaches to the RF board, and plug it right into a USB port. Worked just fine. So no need to mess with both ends, just need to open her up, pull off the RF board, and rewire a male USB cable onto the end of the RF board.

YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY & I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BREAKING YOUR REVUE. YOU CAN VERY EASILY BREAK YOUR DEVICE.

Here is a pic of the finished result:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. fschambe

fschambe New Member

I know it is almost a year after you posted this... I just got a Revue setup and was noticing on the bottom of the unit it has the same unifying receiver logo ->
    [*] <- as the other wireless HID units that logitech makes. While I wholeheartedly support hacking a device, that method seems a little elaborate compared to just plugging in a unifying receiver after pairing the keyboard to it through windows.